The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

I think a few of these last posts indicate for me what I get frustrated with. Even though I personally tend to love the majority of what he puts out, by no means do I feel you are not a true fan if you feel some of it is crap. I will only defend his actual "released" output and about 40% of his "unreleased" output.

Also the Neil Young comparison fit for me, but I knew some wouldn't like the comparison. In my mind and how I have been drawn to music, and as much as I love Neil, I'm not going to put him on some untouchable cloud musically just because he got their first and has been around since the dinosaurs. Ryan and Neil have both made 100's of songs that kill me. It is all the same to this dude

The part that frustrates me is the personal part, I don't care how Ryan acts. I really don't. I dig his tunes. Why is he the one rock star whose music sucks more because of his antics. Does Tweedy's music suck more because of any of his stuff, or Keith Richards? You know what I'm saying. For some reason, Ryan pissed off the wrong guy and forever now he is a little child who needs to focus more. It just always gets back to some personal thing that people perceive about Ryan. He is just a dude making songs, and I dig em.

I truly think he believes in his music more than most musicians, and gives it his all, and takes it personal when it is attacked. I don't think he is just posing I guess. But I don't care to analyze it, I just love me some Ryan Adams tunes.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

you've said Neil Young, Ryan Adams and The Smiths all in the same paragraph...so it looks like we def. agree on something because those are 3 of my favorite artists/bands!

Right on!

I just love me some Ryan Adams tunes.

that's what it all comes down to.

My wife and I really like Ryan Adams. He is definitely one of our top 5, from Whiskeytown on. Is he infallible? Of course not. We have 2 Whiskeytown demos, love them, but no other unreleased material, save live shows. I can't speak to all of the unreleased releases or the internet rants. Except for this board, NPR, A Prairie Home Companion, Sky Sports News and the Premier League Fantasy League, I am not much of an internet person. The 3 times that we saw The Cardinals were excellent, especially the final show at The Fox in ATL. I am excited to hear III/IV. My wife, even less of an internet person, isn't even aware of it. It will be her Christmas surprise.

It just struck me that it is doubtful that anyone (any one?) gives a shit about the above. The internet is strange.

I think a few of these last posts indicate for me what I get frustrated with. Even though I personally tend to love the majority of what he puts out, by no means do I feel you are not a true fan if you feel some of it is crap. I will only defend his actual "released" output and about 40% of his "unreleased" output.

Also the Neil Young comparison fit for me, but I knew some wouldn't like the comparison. In my mind and how I have been drawn to music, and as much as I love Neil, I'm not going to put him on some untouchable cloud musically just because he got their first and has been around since the dinosaurs. Ryan and Neil have both made 100's of songs that kill me. It is all the same to this dude

The part that frustrates me is the personal part, I don't care how Ryan acts. I really don't. I dig his tunes. Why is he the one rock star whose music sucks more because of his antics. Does Tweedy's music suck more because of any of his stuff, or Keith Richards? You know what I'm saying. For some reason, Ryan pissed off the wrong guy and forever now he is a little child who needs to focus more. It just always gets back to some personal thing that people perceive about Ryan. He is just a dude making songs, and I dig em.

I truly think he believes in his music more than most musicians, and gives it his all, and takes it personal when it is attacked. I don't think he is just posing I guess. But I don't care to analyze it, I just love me some Ryan Adams tunes.

I followed Ryan heavily around the time Cardinology was released and it was easy to see at that time that he and his music were one. there's just so much genuine emotion pouring out of his tunes. listen to all of those songs he released around then on his blog. songs like; Jessica, Rainy Face, The Lights, Yes, I Know That Color, Sunflowers and Rain, etc... those songs are so amazing and I'm sure most were written in only a few minutes. heck, the dude wrote Blue Hotel in a few minutes while waiting for Willie Nelson to get to the studio one evening.

from what I gather of Ryan, he puts himself out there a little too much and opens himself up to a plethora of things. I was put off by his humor when I started listening to him, but now he makes more sense to me and I find him to be a funny dude (not that that pertains to his music but I think people judge him at times due to it) however, he stays true to himself regardless of what anyone says and I find that admirable. I also find 98% of his official albums to be wonderful. just put on Demolition again last night after not having listened to it in a while and he just blew me away.

For me, the problem with the last two albums was the music, not the songs. The music was too laid back. I never really cared for Gold, nor do I care for Heartbreaker as much as a lot of people. I still think Faithless Street, Stranger's Almanac, Love Is Hell, and 29 are my favorites. Of course, there are a ton of unreleased songs, and whatnot to throw in there as well. The great thing about that guy is that he has something for everyone.

ah yes, the best quote by analogman, "The great thing about that guy is that he has something for everyone".

totally agree!

From Gram Parsons to Black Flag to Grateful Dead to The Smiths to Voivod to The Rolling Stones to The Cars to "80′s, ninjas, cigarettes, sex, and pizza."

something for everyone.

ah yes, the best quote by analogman, "The great thing about that guy is that he has something for everyone".

totally agree!

From Gram Parsons to Black Flag to Grateful Dead to The Smiths to Voivod to The Rolling Stones to The Cars to "80′s, ninjas, cigarettes, sex, and pizza."

something for everyone.

don't forget SciFi :dancing

Surprised to read so many people saying he hasn't been great Since Heartbreaker/Gold

A few scattered thoughts....

IMO, Cold Roses/Jacksonville/Love Is Hell and (barely) Easy Tiger > Gold

To these ears, Cold Roses has as many great songs as Heartbreaker and I tend to listen to it more. Heartbreaker is great, but it has, for the most part, a singular sound and mood. It's a rainy day/ sad bastard album, and I don't always want to hear songs that "break my heart."

Maybe that's why I still like rock n roll for what it is. That was also the first one I got. I was 15. I thought it kicked ass and about half the songs still do.

And can you imagine a better backing band than the cardinals? The playing on these last four records is insane and lifts a lot of the songs--just listen to the guitar work during the last 90 seconds of "The Crystal Skull" and tell me your toes not tapping.

There really aren't many artists like Ryan out there. He's moderately famous but acts like a nobody--he communicates with fans, offers up free shit, doesn't play by the rules at all. I think that's what endears him to his biggest supporters.

That being said, my favorite RA related album is easily Pneumonia. I believe he had a co-writer on many of its songs, which perhaps gave them the focus missing on plenty of his other work.

And I thought Cardinology totally sucked.

I think "Numbers" might be the most bizarre song Ryan has ever released, and that's really saying something. In my opinion he hasn't made a decent album since Jacksonville City Nights, and both that one and Cold Roses had a bunch of filler in between the great songs. I often wonder whether Caitlin Cary, Phil Wandescher and the rest of Whiskeytown helped him distill and edit his ideas for that band, and if Gillian Welch/David Rawlings had the same role during the Heartbreaker sessions. Ever since that album he's felt like a mess to me. He's still put out some brilliant songs, mind you, but he's spent way too much time genre-hopping.

I often wonder whether Caitlin Cary, Phil Wandescher and the rest of Whiskeytown helped him distill and edit his ideas for that band, and if Gillian Welch/David Rawlings had the same role during the Heartbreaker sessions. Ever since that album he's felt like a mess to me. He's still put out some brilliant songs, mind you, but he's spent way too much time genre-hopping.

also spot on.

Did the PaxAm orders come with anything special other than the bonus downloads?

I'm not sure about buying 3/4. I have a feeling it will be decent, but not one I will get out much. Then again, I always wonder until I buy it...

i've been hot and cold with ryan. always respected him. listening to the samples of the new album i think it sounds awesome! really tight album and songwriting is strong through out. people are probably gonna have to revise their 2010 best of lists with this coming out now.

Ok, now that I have heard the new record(s) on the ol' vinyl, I'll state my two cents. I hope all of you who were down on this record (before it was even released) give it a proper listen. If not cool, but you may miss out. I think III is really solid, catchy, and focused. IV takes some chances (hits at times, maybe misses at times), but it is not safe at all. I think to listen to this as a proper album, and not do the old it sounds like cast offs, or it sounds great for throwaways, and just view it as a proper release gives it some credence. Who knows, but I'm thrilled to have 21 new tracks to digest. I guess I would say (not having listened to Rock n Roll for a year), that it sounds like a more personal/real/raw version of that record, more range of emotion also. Not that I would have a clue about that though, since I'm not him?