The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

The whole album is streaming at PAX-AM. So far, I'd say it stinks. I have not listened to Rock n Roll in a long time, but it seems to be similar to that album.

I think I am done buying his albums.

glad it's not just me.

Different strokes I guess. I've had trouble stepping away from it. I think III is really strong. I think expectations are a huge thing with Ryan. I know my wife did not like Rock n Roll when it first came out, but since she tends to warm up to his rockier/fun songs quicker than me, like HalloweenHead, Magick etc. She thought III/IV sounded strong upon first listen. I guess if you go in wanting the folkier/rootsier side this will likely leave you doubting. I don't know, Ryan's rocking affairs sound to me like him halfway trying and still kicking ass like poeple like the Foo Fighters or Killers or etc wish they could.

for me it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting folksier/rootsier stuff. i feel like at best these are 1/2 assed sounding versions of songs that made RNR (which was just a good not great album to begin with). plus some of the lyrics are just atrocious.

it's not awful, it just feels like he wrote most of these songs in about 10-15 minutes.

The other day, I was watching TV, and landed on some new Country Music Video channel we have here. The songs I heard sort of reminded me of Ryan's new album. It's very generic. There is just nothing that reached out and grabbed me.

I recall the first time I heard Inn Town, and I knew straight away that was an album I needed to buy. Now I understand those days are long gone, but still, he just ain't making music that does anything for me. The music is just too similar sounding. And it does sound like it was put together in a hurry.

for me it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting folksier/rootsier stuff. i feel like at best these are 1/2 assed sounding versions of songs that made RNR (which was just a good not great album to begin with). plus some of the lyrics are just atrocious.

it's not awful, it just feels like he wrote most of these songs in about 10-15 minutes.

This I think is how I feel when trying to express my dislike for late period Son Volt vs. original lineup. The lyrics just are unavoidable (in a bad way) and I can't get past it. That being said, with Ryan lyrically on albums like Cardinology, ultimately Easy Tiger and III/IV, even though I find these to be a tad verbose, they feel inspiring and truly emotional. Who knows? Ryan has something for everyone.

analogman-you were right about Inn Town. damn good song, hooked me in right away.

I actually heard that in the very same record store where I also heard Nothings Shocking for the first time. I wish it was still around. It is a great opening track.

Ok, now that I have heard the new record(s) on the ol' vinyl, I'll state my two cents. I hope all of you who were down on this record (before it was even released) give it a proper listen. If not cool, but you may miss out. I think III is really solid, catchy, and focused. IV takes some chances (hits at times, maybe misses at times), but it is not safe at all. I think to listen to this as a proper album, and not do the old it sounds like cast offs, or it sounds great for throwaways, and just view it as a proper release gives it some credence. Who knows, but I'm thrilled to have 21 new tracks to digest. I guess I would say (not having listened to Rock n Roll for a year), that it sounds like a more personal/real/raw version of that record, more range of emotion also. Not that I would have a clue about that though, since I'm not him?

totally, 100% agreed after some initial misgivings. as some dude on a blog wrote (paraphrasing b/c now i don't remember where i found it), "this is not a good place to start with ryan, but any fan who was devoted time to him would definitely have a hole in their collection if they passed on this outing."

it's a damn shame that the cardinals and ryan parted ways. who knows why? i'm sure there were good/bad reasons. but what a damn good band, the cardinals with ryan out front. surely, surely they will reunite one of these days.

• 1 month later...

For the Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown fans...

from lost highway email:

10th ANNIVERSARY EDITION VINYL

As stated in the official Press Release for Lost Highway's 10th Anniversary, we will be releasing two album each month on limited clear vinyl.

Some are previously released records that helped define our label, others have never been on vinyl--let alone ltd. clear vinyl, and some are from our current release schedule of new albums. Please know all releases and release dates are subject to change.

January 25th:

Ryan Adams GOLD

April 12th:

Whiskeytown Pneumonia **never before on vinyl**

September 13th:

Ryan Adams Love Is Hell never before on vinyl**

October 11th:

Ryan Adams Rock N Roll

• 4 weeks later...

PAX-AM

> PRESALE TODAY!

> Ryan Adams has confirmed a series of solo acoustic dates in Europe this June.

>

> The dates, which begin June 10 in Stockholm and conclude June 28 in Amsterdam, will be Adams' first overseas dates since 2008 and first run of dates anywhere since 2009.

>

> Adams is currently working with producer Glyn Johns on his first collection of all new studio material since 2008's Cardinology.

>

> Pre-sale for all dates begins today,

> with general on sale following Friday, March 18.

>

> TOUR DATES

>

> 6/10/11 Stockholm – Cirkus - BUY

> 6/11/11 Oslo – Folketeatret - BUY

> 6/13/11 Malmo – The Concert House - BUY

> 6/14/11 Copenhagen – Koncerhauset - BUY

> 6/16/11 Lisbon – Aula Magna - BUY

> 6/17/11 Porto – Teatro Sa Da Bandeira - BUY

> 6/20/11 London – Barbican - BUY

> 6/22/11 Brighton, UK – Dome - BUY

> 6/23/11 Manchester, UK – Bridgwater Hall - BUY

> 6/25/11 Glasgow, Scotland – Academy - BUY

> 6/26/11 Oxford, UK – Oxford New Theatre - BUY

> 6/28/11 Amsterdam, Holland – Concertgebouw - BUY

January 25th:

Ryan Adams GOLD

i grabbed this the other day. the clear vinyl is cool, although a gold color would have been more fitting (or red, white'n blue). can't wait to snag pneumonia as well, and that will be a perfect color for that album (clear).

i read somewhere that ryan and the cards were, in addition to touring...europe, rumored to be putting out more "vault" stuff on record store day this year, on pax-am. anybody else read/heard?

I thought it was just Ryan solo?

i think he is touring behind the solo tracks that he recorded over the winter, but i think the rsd realease is with the cards...maybe from the cardinology sessions?

found it...and there are two upcoming releases:

92) Ryan Adams & The Cardinals Class Mythology EP (2x7" 1 yellow, 1 orange) (2500 copies with poster and sticker, features 4 unreleased outtakes from the Cardinology era)

that one is for record store day.

and (on pitchfork):

"Adams is also currently working on a new album with producer Glyn Johns (the Who, the Rolling Stones)."

92) Ryan Adams & The Cardinals Class Mythology EP (2x7" 1 yellow, 1 orange) (2500 copies with poster and sticker, features 4 unreleased outtakes from the Cardinology era)

that one is for record store day.

hmm, first i've heard of this.