The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

I kind of enjoy those Class Mythology songs. Here's some impressions I have of the 4 songs:

1. Go Ahead And Rain- A slowed down version with different lyrics of the Sunflowers And Rain/ Go Ahead And Rain which appeared on Pax-Am's digi-single #1. Features the line, "Crimson and Clover is my favorite song when I'm taking a bath." Gotta love DRA! This song reminds me of Memory Lane.

2. Invisible Red- Starts off like a slower metal song and you think you're listening to Metallica's new album until Ryan's vocals come in. Pretty neat song, although it's easy to see why it was not included on Cardinology. Just doesn't fit in with those songs.

3. Your Name Is On Fire- Love this song! Why this wasn't included in Cardinology is beyond me. It belongs on that album and has all the markings of a solid Cardinology number. It's def. no Crossed Out Name or Stop, but it rivals Sink Ships and Go Easy.

4. Future Sparrow- This sounds like it belongs on Cold Roses. The earthy imagery of the lyrics and the Dead-like riffs make for an excellent closer of this mini EP set. Features some cool back-up vocals by Mr. Casal. This is arguably the best song included here.

Thanks!

i downloaded these on whim and was surprised at how warm they sounded....then i realized they are vinyl rips. so good sounding. damn, i might have to get a turn table!

A couple thoughts and one request:

I have been a pretty strong supporter of Cardinology and III/IV (actually pretty surprised how few feel III/IV isn't stronger than they express). However first time through Class Mythology I was dissmissive. I gave it some real spins last night and overall I think it is a rather strong ep for what an ep is. I wouldn't argue that these should have been on Cardinology, but as B sides or throwaways they are nice.

speaking of bsides and rarities. I have mentioned here before that I have collected via original copy or mp3 every Ryan Adams official non album song, I didnt' look at the total number last night but I believe I'm in the 70's. The only one that has been MIA is the 7" that came with his first book Hello Sunshine.

The tracks are "Thank You" backed with "Evergreen" (demo). If anyone has a vinyl mp3 rip I would love a shout out.

I usually find whatever I need in terms of b sides or rarities or special releases via google or the ol record store but not this one.

I have been a pretty strong supporter of Cardinology and III/IV (actually pretty surprised how few feel III/IV isn't stronger than they express)...

I wasn't even aware the record existed until I hit amazon the other day and happened upon it. It's like III/IV wasn't released...it escaped.

Still haven't picked it up (although I will probably rectify that when my daughter gives me an iTunes gift card for my birthday).

I have been a pretty strong supporter of Cardinology and III/IV (actually pretty surprised how few feel III/IV isn't stronger than they express). However first time through Class Mythology I was dissmissive. I gave it some real spins last night and overall I think it is a rather strong ep for what an ep is. I wouldn't argue that these should have been on Cardinology, but as B sides or throwaways they are nice.

speaking of bsides and rarities. I have mentioned here before that I have collected via original copy or mp3 every Ryan Adams official non album song, I didnt' look at the total number last night but I believe I'm in the 70's. The only one that has been MIA is the 7" that came with his first book Hello Sunshine.

The tracks are "Thank You" backed with "Evergreen" (demo). If anyone has a vinyl mp3 rip I would love a shout out.

I usually find whatever I need in terms of b sides or rarities or special releases via google or the ol record store but not this one.

I still think those albums are terrible.

I don't remember where, and maybe it is gone now, but there was a thread on some message board where someone was putting up all the stray Ryan tracks. I think the link is probably in this thread or the previous Ryan Adams thread.

I still think those albums are terrible.

Cardinology does appear to be a dividing line amongst fans. For me, I've always found it inspirational (not to be dramatic) My wife and I sometimes argue over that record, my defense is that he does the sad bastard records amazingly well and I think Cardinology is him doing sober rock amazingly well.

As far as III/IV, i just say if you haven't heard it, give it a spin, and don't immediately dismiss it. His "rock" records are not as revisited frequently for me as his other stuff, but it isn't without merit. I really feel there are some gems in there, especially almost all of III.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ryan isn't allowing taping at shows anymore. From the RAA message board:

Over the years we have all come to love and treasure recordings of Ryan's live shows. RAA was formed with the intent of providing recordings by and for its members. Prior to the current Europe solo tour, Ryan Adams decided to no longer allow taping by the public. It is not clear whether this is a temporary or permanent decision by Ryan. While this of course comes as a disappointment to us all, it is our hope we will still have the opportunity to hear the shows one way or another. In the meantime, we hope members will continue to use RAA to discuss current shows, Ryan's music and download and listen to past shows. We will provide more information as it becomes available to us. Thanks for your continued support of RAA.

Ryan isn't allowing taping at shows anymore. From the RAA message board:

Over the years we have all come to love and treasure recordings of Ryan's live shows. RAA was formed with the intent of providing recordings by and for its members. Prior to the current Europe solo tour, Ryan Adams decided to no longer allow taping by the public. It is not clear whether this is a temporary or permanent decision by Ryan. While this of course comes as a disappointment to us all, it is our hope we will still have the opportunity to hear the shows one way or another. In the meantime, we hope members will continue to use RAA to discuss current shows, Ryan's music and download and listen to past shows. We will provide more information as it becomes available to us. Thanks for your continued support of RAA.

There are actually some recent Ryan shows up at Dime a Dozen right now.

Looks like he played 6 new songs Monday night in sweden

Malmo, Sweden, The Consert House

6/13/11

(thanks Nicke and Slowburn!)

01. Oh My Sweet Carolina

02. Don't Fail Me Now

03. Firecracker

04. Damn Sam (I Love a Woman That Rains)

05. I Taught Myself How to Grow Old

06. New York, New York

07. Invisible Riverside

08. ENGLISH GIRLS APPROXIMATELY

09. Dirty Rain

10. Winding Wheel

11. If I Am A Stranger

12. Let it Ride

13. Desire

14. Cannonball days

Encore: 6 new songs......

15 Straight... ("you go sailing through the sky"+ ghosts ... something)

16 Ashes and fire ("and the river she cried")

17 Shadow in the light ("we didn't ... she never coming back, like we did, waited all night"...) ---> John C.: may be Shining Thru The Dark which he played at that LA benefit

18 Take...high ("talking about the chains of love")

19 Wild and young ("remember ... wild and young...")

20 Come home ("we built this house")