The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

ryan just posted this on facebook:

New album is called "Ashes & Fire". It was produced by Glyn Johns ( rocknroll wizard & true gentleman). It has 11 songs on it. I played acoustic on all of them and sang and played live to tape. We recorded the album ALL 100 percent ANALOG ( 2" tape mixed to 1/4" ). A computer didn't touch this album. It has very few overdubs. I gave these songs the most consideration I have ever given and it is certainly the longest amount of time I've spent writing. It was made with total love. Very excited. XX October 11th is the release date.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

• 2 weeks later...

"Lucky Now" from Ashes & Fire streamin'.

http://onethirtybpm....dams-lucky-now/

Nice! That sounds like the guy I fell in love with years ago.

I'm glad Ryan seems to be making a return to quality songwriting. He's one of those few artists who changed my musical life - I hated to think he didn't have it anymore. I might not be a Wilco fan today if it wasn't for Ryan's music.

Album art (which is quite nice) and pre-order are now up at http://ashesandfire.kungfustore.com/

I really dig this tune though, a total return to form for him and I really hope the rest of the album is similar in quality. Good lyrics, good sounds, and his voice sounds great!

yeah, his voice does sound great. he's just singing rather than cracking and wailing. artwork is not what i expected, but cool. i've been hot and cold with this dude. might pick this up without listening. i'm getting a good vibe:)

That song sounds somewhat like the songs he did for the film Elizabethtown

The Elizabethtown Sessions

Date: Early August 2005

1. Cemetery Hill

2. The Sewers At The Bottom Of The Wishing Well

3. Clementine (possibly Madeline?)

4. Everybody Knows

5. When The Wild Wind Blows (or Wild Wind)

6. Dreams Of A Working Class Clown (or Dreams Of The Working Class)

7. Words

8. Lions Of Broadway

9. Who Were We?

10. Willows

11. Lighthouses

12. Saturday Night

13. Everything Dies

14. Two

15. Maps

16. Don't Get Sentimental On Me

17. Elizabeth Town

18. Elizabeth

here we go! it is time for the ultimate fan boy to start getting giddy again!

speaking of elizabethtown "wild wind blows" is one of the most amazing songs of his to not see an official light of day.

• 2 weeks later...

http://consequenceof...s-wasted-years/ (consequence of sound.net)

Adams covering Iron Maiden's Wasted Years.

Not a big fan of this cover. Interesting choice, though.

I've actually suggested to him more than once that he should cover some Sabbath songs that way. One of these days, he may just actually do it. I don't know why he picked a crap Iron Maiden song when there so many good Iron Maiden songs he could have covered.

I've actually suggested to him more than once that he should cover some Sabbath songs that way. One of these days, he may just actually do it. I don't know why he picked a crap Iron Maiden song when there so many good Iron Maiden songs he could have covered.

It may not be a stellar Maiden song but I think he renders it quite lovely to be honest. Not many could make a ropey song sound better by covering it.

the 2 album-version tracks i've heard sound great. loving what Glyn Johns did with the production.

here's some "first impressions" from Q:

http://news.qthemusic.com/2011/09/first_listen_ryan_adams_ashes.html

First Impressions Of... Ryan Adams' Ashes & Fire

Ryan Adams' new album Ashes and Fires isn't released until 11 October, here's Q's first impression of the singer-songwriter's long awaited 13th studio album (not including the three he did with Whiskeytown).

Dirty Rain: "Last time I was here it was raining but it ain't raining anymore," begins Ryan Adams on this wistful acoustic opener. Sure enough, after apparent health problems and the split from his backing band The Cardinals, the alt-country stalwart seems to have broken freefrom the blustery bouts of self-anguish that have plagued his last few solo releases. Dirty Rain is a more strident, upbeat and introspective ballad fleshed out by organ, bluesy piano riffs and gentle percussion. Something this acoustic version Adams has given to Q below, beautifully shows.

Ashes & Fire: Adams picks up the pace on the title track. The Dylan-ish twang to his vocal is matched by lyrics in the chorus that Mr. Tambourine Man himself would be proud of: "Drowning in a river of tears, the river she cried left her with a heart made of ashes and fire." Subtle honky-tonk pianos sit in the background, but this is all about the man and his guitar.

Come Home: A sprinkling of slide guitar and a dash of doomy romance and we're in familiar Adams territory - no heavy metal here, unlike on last year's Orion album. The lyrics are on the heart-swelling side - "if you'll stay right here, tomorrow you'll be fine/ I will be here for you, standing by your side" - but it's a tenderness that echoes the soft moments of albums like Heartbreaker and Gold.

Rocks: Straight out of the Bonnie "Prince" Billy school of melancholic folk, Rocks sees Adams weave an almost whispered vocal around shakers, finger-picked guitar and luscious strings. "I am not rocks in the river, I am birds singing," he pines. On first listen, one of the standout tracks - gentle, languid and with a subtle understated sadness.

Do I Wait: Lighters at the ready, this track is one of the album's big sing-a-long moments. A crunchy thrum of organ, acoustic strumming and drums accompany Adams as he contemplates a relationship in grave trouble. It reaches its dizzying peak with an electric guitar solo and some lung-busting elongated wails of the song's title.

Chains Of Love: A stomping number full of glowering optimism and infectious vocal melodies. At two and a half minutes long it's the album's shortest song - a real folk firecracker.

Invisible Riverside: Perhaps this album's very own Oh My Sweet Carolina, with added amped-up guitar screeches. The spirit of Neil Young looms over the track, all country swagger and rich imagery. Adams has written three books in recent years, Infinity Blues, Hello Sunshine and the forthcoming Phoenix, which has clearly sharpened his literary powers - lines like "I wanna lay my head forever on your shoulder/ stay with me my love now and when we're older" have a simple poignancy that tug keenly at your heartstrings.

Save Me: A slow, sauntering piano-led ballad that lurches further into country territory. Soulful harmonies light up the chorus in this down-tempo number, splashed with pedal steel guitar and strings.

Kindness: Adams launches into a tuneful exploration of what it is to be kind on this gently strummed effort. "If you're so kind, let down your hair," sings the Jacksonville native, in this soft-rock spin on the Rapunzel fairytale. One of the more obviously catchier songs on the record, its piano melodies will be in your head for days.

Lucky Now: "I feel like somebody I don't know/ are we really who we used to be?" asks Adams on this muted track full of quiet, delicate instrumentation and hushed vocals. A touching stroll down memory lane, Lucky Now reveals a Adams as a maturing, increasingly subtle songwriter.

I Love You But I Don't Know What To Say: Adams takes to the piano for this stirring ballad, that closes Ashes & Fire on a quiet, tender, yet emotional high. A fitting end.

sounds like you might have some good stories i need to hear/read!