The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

Ryan's the guest on the most recent episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast. They don't talk much, if at all really, about Prisoner. Ryan talks a lot about his upbringing and his relationship with his grandparents, the Whiskeytown days, a bit about his divorce. It's a good episode and it makes me hope that one day Jeff too will find his way into Marc's garage.

And one of the highlights for me was the last segment about his love of the Grateful Dead. I guess I sort of knew that from his acoustic covering of Wharf Rat, and from listening to Cold Roses (which got Phil's attention), but I've never heard him speak of it so that was very cool for me.

I'm rather enjoying the new record.  I don't want to sound like a fan who's asking an artist to try to recreate their former self, but Ryan is never going to recapture the muse he had during the Heartbreaker/Gold/Demolition/Cold Roses era that I will always hold dear.  Prisoner is a good listen though.

And one of the highlights for me was the last segment about his love of the Grateful Dead. I guess I sort of knew that from his acoustic covering of Wharf Rat, and from listening to Cold Roses (which got Phil's attention), but I've never heard him speak of it so that was very cool for me.

Rosebud

I gave up on Ryan several years ago. I should from refrain from the negative comments though.

He really is a top-notch interviewer. For a guy who's a self-admitted (recovering) asshole, he sure is a great listener and empathizer. I started listening to him a couple of years ago when there were guests I was interested in. Now I listen to every episode.

i do get annoyed w/ the shallowness of some of his knowledge, though... admittedly it would be an impossible task to have a deep knowledge of everyone who's been on his show, but when he interviews someone like Robyn Hitchcock and basically only knows two records (Underwater Moonlight; Globe of Frogs), something's not quite right.

though i did learn that Robyn's dad was involved w/ Kinks' _Percy_ soundtrack.

I should try to stay positive for the kids out there. The kids out there should go buy Faithless Street, Strangers Almanac, Love is Hell, and 29. I stopped at Cardinology. I should have stopped at Easy Tiger.

You also should've stopped like 4 or 5 pages ago...

I really liked his digital single Jacksonville a few years back. IMO, Cold Roses could've been a classic, but it was marred by some questionable singing. Some of the live Cardinal stuff is great. Neal Casal on lead. Lots of SBDs on Archive.

I'm hoping to hit Boston too, despite the fact that I really don't care for Harbor Lights as a venue.

Anyway, looks like he played a pretty good set last night in NYC:

DnQrUHd.png

I saw Whiskeytown a couple times and have seen Ryan Adams three times, including the last tour. Each time I have seen him has been less interesting than the time before. That set list does not indicate to me that trend is changing.

I really liked his digital single Jacksonville a few years back. IMO, Cold Roses could've been a classic, but it was marred by some questionable singing.

That's the one with Strawberry Wine right? I always kind of dug when he'd get warbly, especially after he sounded like a perfect dreamboat on Love is Hell singing Oasis.