The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

I have not heard the new album, but I think he has stated several times that he hates country type music, and does not plan to make an album like that again. Of course, you never know with him. If the new album is similar to Love Is Hell, then I may like it. We'll see.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

would anyone be kind enough to list a few shows from the 2001-2002 era that have particularly good quality recordings floating around? I'm happy to search for the music myself but am tired of downloading crappy sounding shows. gracias.

would anyone be kind enough to list a few shows from the 2001-2002 era that have particularly good quality recordings floating around? I'm happy to search for the music myself but am tired of downloading crappy sounding shows. gracias.

you won't find hardly any crappy sounding RA shows. Most of them are SBD's...as he allows SBD tapings. But, here are a few of my fav. shows from the 01-02 years:

11/18/02 (great acoustic show): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-11-18.sbd.flac

11/28/02 (another great acoustic show): http://www.archive.org/details/ryan2002-11-28sbd.shnf

02/06/02 (acoustic): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-02-06.shnf

11/14/01: http://www.archive.org/details/radams2001-11-14.shnf

10/06/01: http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadams2001-10-06.sbd.flac16

10/10/01 (good FM quality sound): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2001-10-10.sbd.flac

12/05/02 (acoustic - amazing sound): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-12-05.sbd.flac

I guess I should have said he puts less heart into it now. And it took a while for him to get those performances for those songs since many of them were demoeed for seveeral sessions before thosee final cuts were produced. He was on fire in the late 90's and early 00's now you can really tell that he just doesn't put that much into his craft anymore...

100% OTM

you won't find hardly any crappy sounding RA shows. Most of them are SBD's...as he allows SBD tapings. But, here are a few of my fav. shows from the 01-02 years:

11/18/02 (great acoustic show): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-11-18.sbd.flac

11/28/02 (another great acoustic show): http://www.archive.org/details/ryan2002-11-28sbd.shnf

02/06/02 (acoustic): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-02-06.shnf

11/14/01: http://www.archive.org/details/radams2001-11-14.shnf

10/06/01: http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadams2001-10-06.sbd.flac16

10/10/01 (good FM quality sound): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2001-10-10.sbd.flac

12/05/02 (acoustic - amazing sound): http://www.archive.org/details/radams2002-12-05.sbd.flac

many thanks!

Now I'm an ultimate fanboy for Ryan, and I have not heard one second of III/IV (patiently awaiting the vinyl arrival in my mailbox), but I personally feel that his entire catalouge (both real/imagined) is a freaking treasure trove. To say his heart isn't in it anymore, or to state that he hasn't made much since the early 2000's that is worthwhile, is wild to these ears. But to each is own, I would think it be sad to haven't fully given time to albums like Love Is Hell/ Cold Roses, or to not find some gems in albums like Easy Tiger or Cardinology, or to write off great rock songs like HalloweenHead or Magick. But to each is own again. The part I do find confusing is that Ryan doesn't get afforded the same treatment that people like Neil Young get (not comparing the two, but for what it is worth, they both have meant a huge deal to me over the years) I love Neil, but if you want to look at someone screwing around on some albums cmon. And when Neil releases Fork In the Road or Trans or whatever, people talk about his artistic sensibilities. God forbid Ryan doesn't release Heartbreaker everytime, he's just screwing around. I know people will post that you can't compare the two, but Ryan has been gracious with his music and he connects with me no matter what style he is into at the time. But that is me I guess. At the end of the day I'm glad he didn't edit himself and listen everytime someone told him to not release this or that. I feel the music world is better off with his output and i'm excited everytime he puts something out. And to these ears, if I want sweet alt country (ryan is my man), if I want easy modern rock (ryan is everything the foo fighters wish they were), if i want sad dopey music (he hits the nail on the head), you get my point, i stop now. Just saying

i agree with you nodep5.

Ryan has his own label now so he doesnt have the pressure of putting out records that the record company wants. he puts out his music. it may sound experimental or that he is not serious or fooling around with his voice, but its what he wants to do at that moment.

I dont mind that type of musicianship. Jay Farrar doesnt experiment much. Well ok, he put some trumpets/horn section in some of his songs, but they all are in the same neighborhood musically. and that is fine. Ryan has gone to Smiths-type music to Dead music to heavy metal stuff. i think that is cool. IF he kept releasing Heartbreaker records it would be good but at some point, at least me, would want to hear some evolution.

The Jayhawks went through this process. Mark Olson left the band and Gary Louris fronted the band. They wrote and released Sound of Lies which was very different from Hollywood Town Hall/Tomorrow the Green Grass.Less folk, more guitar effects/rock. I remember there were a good amount of people not liking the Olson-less, Louris-lead Jayhawks, way more experimentative. Records weren't selling so Louris stripped it down and released Rainy Day Music, much like TTGG and it sold.

I give any artist credit for continuing great songwriting in similar fashion or artists recreating themselves and making good music.

i agree with you nodep5.

Ryan has his own label now so he doesnt have the pressure of putting out records that the record company wants. he puts out his music. it may sound experimental or that he is not serious or fooling around with his voice, but its what he wants to do at that moment.

I dont mind that type of musicianship. Jay Farrar doesnt experiment much. Well ok, he put some trumpets/horn section in some of his songs, but they all are in the same neighborhood musically. and that is fine. Ryan has gone to Smiths-type music to Dead music to heavy metal stuff. i think that is cool. IF he kept releasing Heartbreaker records it would be good but at some point, at least me, would want to hear some evolution.

The Jayhawks went through this process. Mark Olson left the band and Gary Louris fronted the band. They wrote and released Sound of Lies which was very different from Hollywood Town Hall/Tomorrow the Green Grass.Less folk, more guitar effects/rock. I remember there were a good amount of people not liking the Olson-less, Louris-lead Jayhawks, way more experimentative. Records weren't selling so Louris stripped it down and released Rainy Day Music, much like TTGG and it sold.

I give any artist credit for continuing great songwriting in similar fashion or artists recreating themselves and making good music.

Also to his credit, not only does Ryan try on different pants for size, he hits em out of the park IMO. I would rather listen to Ryan doing Gram than Gram doing Gram, or Ryan doing the Smiths than the Smiths ...., you get it. I know people will think this is crap, but this is how it is for me. FWIW, I think Ryan's singing on albums like Cardinology make that album. It sounds to me like he is believing it more than anything else in the world. Sit and listen to Cardinology on headphones, he is letting it go man.

Also FWIW I loved Jayhawks Sound Of Lies. That album and Smile were the ones that hooked me on that band (I'm losing credibility) but anyway.

I agree also, nodep5. I always get annoyed when I read criticism that suggests Ryan Adams should put out less music. I think we'd have missed out on some great music if he followed that advice. Let him follow his muse. Some times he may hit the mark, sometimes not but either way it's made for a fascinating journey.

Now I'm an ultimate fanboy for Ryan, and I have not heard one second of III/IV (patiently awaiting the vinyl arrival in my mailbox), but I personally feel that his entire catalouge (both real/imagined) is a freaking treasure trove. To say his heart isn't in it anymore, or to state that he hasn't made much since the early 2000's that is worthwhile, is wild to these ears. But to each is own, I would think it be sad to haven't fully given time to albums like Love Is Hell/ Cold Roses, or to not find some gems in albums like Easy Tiger or Cardinology, or to write off great rock songs like HalloweenHead or Magick. But to each is own again. The part I do find confusing is that Ryan doesn't get afforded the same treatment that people like Neil Young get (not comparing the two, but for what it is worth, they both have meant a huge deal to me over the years) I love Neil, but if you want to look at someone screwing around on some albums cmon. And when Neil releases Fork In the Road or Trans or whatever, people talk about his artistic sensibilities. God forbid Ryan doesn't release Heartbreaker everytime, he's just screwing around. I know people will post that you can't compare the two, but Ryan has been gracious with his music and he connects with me no matter what style he is into at the time. But that is me I guess. At the end of the day I'm glad he didn't edit himself and listen everytime someone told him to not release this or that. I feel the music world is better off with his output and i'm excited everytime he puts something out. And to these ears, if I want sweet alt country (ryan is my man), if I want easy modern rock (ryan is everything the foo fighters wish they were), if i want sad dopey music (he hits the nail on the head), you get my point, i stop now. Just saying

good post. people who like ryan will like what he does, no matter what. fair weather fans wont and will moan. same with neil young. dare i say i'd even like a hip hop album by him, because i like him and i'm with him all the way (not his ticket prices though). however, i don't think an artist has bust into an entire new genre to grow. jay farrar has stayed in the same vein for years and still is working on writing good songs.

good post. people who like ryan will like what he does, no matter what. fair weather fans wont and will moan. same with neil young. dare i say i'd even like a hip hop album by him, because i like him and i'm with him all the way (not his ticket prices though). however, i don't think an artist has bust into an entire new genre to grow. jay farrar has stayed in the same vein for years and still is working on writing good songs.

i disagree with your first sentance. i love ryan adams...and he's my favorite artist out there...but i don't like everything he puts out "no matter what". just because you like somebody doesn't mean you have to like everything they release. i think ryan has put out some shady stuff...but that doesn't mean i want him to stop releasing a ton of stuff...or edit down what he does. i'm sure i'll find treasures within the numerous internet songs or demos or whatever.

i disagree with your first sentance. i love ryan adams...and he's my favorite artist out there...but i don't like everything he puts out "no matter what". just because you like somebody doesn't mean you have to like everything they release. i think ryan has put out some shady stuff...but that doesn't mean i want him to stop releasing a ton of stuff...or edit down what he does. i'm sure i'll find treasures within the numerous internet songs or demos or whatever.

Just out of curiosity, which of his proper studio albums would you classify as "shady". Both solo and with Whiskeytown I can't think of any that I wouldn't miss dearly, except for Orion (which I knew going in was probably not my bag, I know nothing about metal and generally don't care to, but it has some fun songs). And even with Orion, it is not like that was promoted as an alt country record. He clearly defined it as what it is and put it out on his own label. To be the music may be less than my favorite but the way he put it out seemed on the up and up.

Just out of curiosity, which of his proper studio albums would you classify as "shady". Both solo and with Whiskeytown I can't think of any that I wouldn't miss dearly, except for Orion (which I knew going in was probably not my bag, I know nothing about metal and generally don't care to, but it has some fun songs). And even with Orion, it is not like that was promoted as an alt country record. He clearly defined it as what it is and put it out on his own label. To be the music may be less than my favorite but the way he put it out seemed on the up and up.

me personally, i think cardinalogy is shady...very shady. that's my "personal" opinion. that doesn't mean you might not like it...but i know i don't like it. Easy Tiger was 'okay'...IMO....borderline shady. most of his internet recordings are shady...and from what i've heard so far from III/IV, it sounds like boring generic rock to me. if i didn't know it was ryan adams, and i wasn't his fan, i would just toss it aside and never listen to it again. I'm gonna still give it time, but, i'm sorry, nothing on this new album stands out at all. if this was coming from bryan adams, or any other artist (besides ryan) you guys would never listen to it either. production on the album sounds fine, but otherwise, these songs sound like quick knockoffs. take of your blinders...just because it's ryan adams doesn't mean it's great.

if this was coming from bryan adams, or any other artist (besides ryan) you guys would never listen to it either. production on the album sounds fine, but otherwise, these songs sound like quick knockoffs. take of your blinders...just because it's ryan adams doesn't mean it's great.

dead on man. his new stuff sucks, no way around it. i don't want another heartbreaker, or gold. i just want a good ryan record.

Not to hash out an arguement on what we are hearing from an album that some of us haven't heard, but to defend albums like Cardinology, that record is inspiring to me (not in a uncool/trite way, but in a human way) and that is how I heard it. I don't think I have blinders on with that, even though I'll be the first to admit that my Ryan blinders are probably pretty blinding.

Easy Tiger was the only Ryan record that I struggled with on first listen, maybe 29 also. But both, especially 29 kill me the more I give to them. Now III/IV may be for playful and less moody (haven't heard a second of it) and that may be more challenging for me to connect with, but I'm looking forward to it, no matter who says it sucks.

exactly.

i have to ask... for those who dig III/IV and love his post Gold output just as much, i'd be curious when/what albums of his got you into his music. it seems like the divide is pre/post Heartbreaker. i've been a pretty big fan going back to Stranger's Almanac and defended him for YEARS to his detractors, but there became a time when his actions were so juvenile and the music no longer moved me nearly enough to keep defending him. not to say there's not gems among his Cardinals records, but for me they're just not nearly on the same level as his Whiskeytown & first 2 solo albums, and it's not because they're "not alt-country". quite the opposite in fact. heck, i even enjoyed RNR for what it was way more than most seemed to at the time.

also, to try and compare Ryan to Neil's 80's experimental output is a joke to me. for one, he's never written anything on the level of Neil's best material. Come Pick Me Up and Oh My Sweet Carolina are close to some of Neil's 2nd tier stuff, but that's about it. imo, as good of albums as Ryan has put out, he has hardly earned any "free pass" at this point in his career. if Heartbreaker & Gold are going to be his legacy 20 years from now, that's not exactly that bad, but one would hope he still might have something better in him. and i've never given Neil a free pass myself... i can enjoy Trans for what it was, but it certainly isn't a very good album (same goes for Fork In The Road).

me personally, i think cardinalogy is shady...very shady. that's my "personal" opinion. that doesn't mean you might not like it...but i know i don't like it. Easy Tiger was 'okay'...IMO....borderline shady. most of his internet recordings are shady...and from what i've heard so far from III/IV, it sounds like boring generic rock to me. if i didn't know it was ryan adams, and i wasn't his fan, i would just toss it aside and never listen to it again. I'm gonna still give it time, but, i'm sorry, nothing on this new album stands out at all. if this was coming from bryan adams, or any other artist (besides ryan) you guys would never listen to it either. production on the album sounds fine, but otherwise, these songs sound like quick knockoffs. take of your blinders...just because it's ryan adams doesn't mean it's great.

also OTM :cheers

prior to this new one, 29 was my least favorite Ryan album.

there's 2-3 good songs, but overall it's just really really dull to me.

Exactly. i can respect that. people have their favorite ryan adams moment. I was one of the few that didn't like Love is Hell when it came out...but i came around to it. But the certain folks here who are basically saying you're not a real ryan adams fan if you bash or don't like ALL of his material is rediculous. He continually gives his fans tons of new material for free on the web (which is great)...but if you go to ryanadamsarchive 99% of them talk like it's the most amazing stuff ever. All i'm hearing is bullshit demo/outtake quality on 99% of the stuff. It doesn't take away the fact that i really like him as an artist...but i am getting a little fed up with what i call 'crap' output. ALSO, the fact that he throws his little temper tantrums when people don't like it or write something negative about it has become a bigger turnoff. He's actually called out individuals over at another site i post on...threatening them with all kinds of crap...finding their IP address, lawsuits...etc. It's like watching a 12 year old kid on the internet. On RAA he's gone mad numerous times...then goes back and deletes all his stuff. Then apologizes...then goes berzerk again on members...same old song and dance. Dude needs to step away from the internet basically. The shananigans is starting to wear on his fans.

sorry for rambling....

good point. i guess was just thinking about my favorite artist, Neil Young. i'm willing to check out all his stuff, no matter what. doesn't mean i'll love it. that being said, i'd probably warm up to something that i initially didn't like by him. trans being one example. i was just thinking the same about ryan adams. whether he is Smiths mode or country rocker mode it's him, his voice, his songs, his guitar. i assume a big fan would give anything he put out a chance. so i think we agree:)

Exactly. i can respect that. people have their favorite ryan adams moment. I was one of the few that didn't like Love is Hell when it came out...but i came around to it. But the certain folks here who are basically saying you're not a real ryan adams fan if you bash or don't like ALL of his material is rediculous. He continually gives his fans tons of new material for free on the web (which is great)...but if you go to ryanadamsarchive 99% of them talk like it's the most amazing stuff ever. All i'm hearing is bullshit demo/outtake quality on 99% of the stuff. It doesn't take away the fact that i really like him as an artist...but i am getting a little fed up with what i call 'crap' output. ALSO, the fact that he throws his little temper tantrums when people don't like it or write something negative about it has become a bigger turnoff. He's actually called out individuals over at another site i post on...threatening them with all kinds of crap...finding their IP address, lawsuits...etc. It's like watching a 12 year old kid on the internet. On RAA he's gone mad numerous times...then goes back and deletes all his stuff. Then apologizes...then goes berzerk again on members...same old song and dance. Dude needs to step away from the internet basically. The shananigans is starting to wear on his fans.

sorry for rambling....

that's not good to hear. i need to stay off the internet too:)

good point. i guess was just thinking about my favorite artist, Neil Young. i'm willing to check out all his stuff, no matter what. doesn't mean i'll love it. that being said, i'd probably warm up to something that i initially didn't like by him. trans being one example. i was just thinking the same about ryan adams. whether he is Smiths mode or country rocker mode it's him, his voice, his songs, his guitar. i assume a big fan would give anything he put out a chance. so i think we agree:)

you've said Neil Young, Ryan Adams and The Smiths all in the same paragraph...so it looks like we def. agree on something because those are 3 of my favorite artists/bands!