the next Beatles thread

am i the only person that likes "nobody told me"?

can't think of how it goes at the moment.

there is one of the later singles that sounds almost exactly like Imagine, right? i want to say on that Lennon radio show when he's demo-ing you can hear Yoko pointing it out to him.

btw - now knowing the big difference in some of the Beatles music from Mono to Stereo recordings - is it that dramatic with some of the other bands of that era - stones, dylan,etc?

i see they are putting out the mono box of dylan. of course, he didn't experiment with studio techniques like they did (he experimented more in word/song form), so i don't know how different it would be - maybe more or less clarity i guess. rainy day may be pretty different. i have no idea.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think Nobody told me came out in 1984, but it was recorded during the Double Fantasy sessions. it doesnt sound like Imagine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGiV7mxzdGQ&ob=av2e

as for the Dylan mono stuff, i've got the sundazed vinyl versions in mono, and the only difference seems to be that some of the instrument volumes are at a different levels. at that price, its not really worth getting

No that sounds about right. There are a few isolated killer songs #9 Dream, Nobody Told Me, Watching The Wheels, Stand By Me, but the rest of it I could give or take, I'd even put most of Mind Games and almost all of Sometime in New York City in with that group as well.

--Mike

I was going to say after IMAGINE, but MIND GAMES has some really moving stuff.

SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY is embarrassing. It's like he took the New York Times and tried to write a song about EVERY issue he could find. It reeks of insincereity and trendiness.

I was going to say after IMAGINE, but MIND GAMES has some really moving stuff.

SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY is embarrassing. It's like he took the New York Times and tried to write a song about EVERY issue he could find. It reeks of insincereity and trendiness.

there is a funny bit in those radio shows where he puts the tv on, mutes it, and then makes up a song to what is happening on the tv.

"i read the news today, oh, boy!"

i think Nobody told me came out in 1984, but it was recorded during the Double Fantasy sessions. it doesnt sound like Imagine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGiV7mxzdGQ&ob=av2e

as for the Dylan mono stuff, i've got the sundazed vinyl versions in mono, and the only difference seems to be that some of the instrument volumes are at a different levels. at that price, its not really worth getting

i don't recognize that song.

was that footage originally put with that music?

if not, what is that from?

john and miles davis playing basketball?

andy warhol?

i don't recognize that song.

was that footage originally put with that music?

if not, what is that from?

john and miles davis playing basketball?

andy warhol?

That is from the Imagine film. It was footage from the recording of the album at his mansion (Ascot).

The rest of that is various clips from films that he and Yoko use to make. There was a period of time when they filmed everything they did through out the day.

The new issue of MOJO has the album Let it Be re-recorded by various people. I didn't realize how tough I am to please on Beatle re-makes. If they don't change it up enough I think "well, you are not really bringing anything new to the table". If they change the song too much I end up hating it because it's too different. It's a fine line.

I don't think I have ever heard a Beatles re-make that I like better than the original.

Huh. If you were around in 1984, it was difficult to escape it then.

i was around, but only 4 years old.

is that radio show thing someone selling bootlegs?

how dare they charge $600 + if they don't even own the copyright.

i think it was from here that there was a blog who posted them so you could stream and download. they stopped after a while and only posted maybe 10 or so.

i was around, but only 4 years old.

is that radio show thing someone selling bootlegs?

how dare they charge $600 + if they don't even own the copyright.

i think it was from here that there was a blog who posted them so you could stream and download. they stopped after a while and only posted maybe 10 or so.

I didn't notice that, or I would have not posted it. If you dig around, I am sure you can find the complete Lost Lennon Tapes somewhere. There is no reason to have to buy such things these days.

• 1 month later...

don't think this has been mentioned yet, but did you lot know McCartney is rereleasing all his solo albums, starting with Band On The Run

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Band-Run-Paul-McCartney-Wings/dp/B003W2HKSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287303734&sr=8-1

it looks like it's going to be fantastic. 2 cd's and a dvd. it's all been remastered at Abbey Road by the same people that did the Beatles recent remasters; and the really great selling point of it is the dvd includes "One Hand Clapping" which is about an hour long tv show filmed in Abbey Road. there's also loads of other dvd stuff too. there is also one of those stupidly expensive deluxe editions, which isn't worth the money, and a single disc remaster (which, for some reason amazon uk are listing as costing more than the 3 disc version).

if they do this with all his other albums then i can't wait for Ram & McCartney to be rereleased too - i think they're the only other 2 i'd want.

was there anything big on this recent Lennon box?

i wouldn't think the remastering part of it would be too big a selling point as there have already been multiple remasters in the 2000's alone i think - and since it was the 70's there is no Mono vs Stereo debate i would think. i was going to buy Double F and Mind Games at Target and get a $5 Target gift card, but they were only selling DF, and Imagine as far as solo albums go. =(

were there any true revelations on these bonus disks with demos or had they already been floating around?

if there is an in depth review of the box by a real Beatle-head, very descriptive in other words, i'd love a link to it please. =)

There seems to be some discussion at Amazon.com:

John Lennon - Signature Box

I recall when this one came out:

John Lennon - Anthology

I don't think I own any Lennon solo albums on cd except for a greatest hits.

When the anthology box set came out, there was a single disc collection that came out called wonsaponatime, which i still have. There was a version of "i'm losing you" that lennon recorded with cheap trick. It was an awesome rocking version. Jack Douglas mentioned that cheap trick session for double fantasy in an interview I heard recently. He said that John was happy about the session and enjoyed it, but the rock direction for double fantasy wasn't what he was looking for, so it was abandoned. How many songs from double fantasy were recorded with cheap trick, I have no idea, but I believe it was several songs.

I remember reading that they only spend 1 day recording. I thought it was just "I'm Losing you" and maybe one Yoko song but I could be wrong. The article I read said John loved what they did but Yoko was not happy with it so it was re-done.