the next Beatles thread

bigideas, on 25 October 2010 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hard Days Night is the best all around pre-Revolver for me.

I was in a bar the other night and Things We Said Today came on.

My friend and I both stopped our conversation to listen to it. What a great song.

There are some really interesting chord changes on that album throughout.

I have seen a website that was very detailed on their songs from a musical theory standpoint, but not in awhile.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where's the love for Rubber Soul?

Here. Love.

Sir Stewart - you write "even Mr. Moonlight", and I'm inferring your phrasing to mean that you think it's a weak song... Do you think so? It has some of the band's best 3-part harmony, and there's not many equal examples of John's singing - he really nails the first line. For those reasons, I absolutely love the song.

Anyone getting the Best of Apple album?

The Pitchfork review made it sound kinda interesting.

I don't read pitchfork, but it's a good best of album. i've actually got the whole boxset (well digitally, and not through any kind of legit means :pirate if you know what i means) and it's fantastic. i don't think i can afford to pay the price they are asking for it, but if it comes down in price a bit i'll definately be picking it up.

the best of cd does seem very lacking compared to the box set, but it's still great.

I was in a bar the other night and Things We Said Today came on.

My friend and I both stopped our conversation to listen to it. What a great song.

This.

I agree, love that album. I also love that picture on the cover. You can just see what the last 2 years were like for them in their faces.

And this.

Here. Love.

Sir Stewart - you write "even Mr. Moonlight", and I'm inferring your phrasing to mean that you think it's a weak song... Do you think so? It has some of the band's best 3-part harmony, and there's not many equal examples of John's singing - he really nails the first line. For those reasons, I absolutely love the song.

And this too. There was this reckless abandon in Lennon's voice on those early recordings that I feel are missing in some of the later stuff. All of their singing really changed over the years - phrasing, inflections in the voice, the melodies they wrote.

I don't think it's weak at all. I was referring to the chatter I've read in the past here on VC (I think in the 'weak tracks on great albums' thread or something like that).

• 4 months later...

I have wondered this for a long time; what happens when there are no more letters to be published. I love reading books of artists letters. Back in the day it wasn't hard to do, because people wrote on paper and people kept letters. Now so much is done by email, texting, blogging, social networking, etc. and it is totally ephemeral. It is actually kind of a sad thought. I haven't written an actual paper letter in years, not even typed one on a computer and mailed a hard copy. I used to do it all the time.

LouieB

I gather your meaning Louie, but emails, blogs, and places like this are not totally ephemeral. For example, I often spend free time reading email exchanges from ten plus years ago, because they're like revisiting conversations and chatting with old friends. If someday (for example) Beck (Hansen, not Jeff) publishes his electronic exchanges I'd be very interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice hour and a half (no advert breaks :P ) doc/biographic interview on George Martin on the Beeb tonight. Look out for it if you are interested.

Best quote on being miffed at having the Let It Be Tapes ttaken away from him with no credit for producing the original sessions: should have been credited: "Produced by George Martin. Overproduced by Phil Spector".

A lot of stuff I never knew he was involved with that are tunes from my childhood etc. (did know about alot of the comedy stuff, but there were a few surprises)

On the Beach Boys Smile link, I saw this about more McCartney reissues.

Any big time McCartney fans that can answer a question? It's been a while since I listened to McCartney, but isn't there at least 1 or more song fragments before or after other songs? I want to say one sounds potentially good and I've wanted to hear the whole thing. I wonder if one of these extra tracks is that one? Wikipedia didn't even allude to the fragments.

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2011/4/27/paul-mccartney-i-ii-archive-collection-reissues-bonus-materi.html

Details of the Paul McCartney "Archive Collection" reissues of the former Beatle's two self-titled albums -- his 1970 McCartney debut and 1980 McCartney II -- are now available. We originally told you about the June 14 release date for the titles months ago, now we have the track listings and bonus material information, including elaborate multi-disc box sets and film footage on DVD. The projects are being released through McCartney's own MPL imprint and the Concord Music company, his current label, and follow up the expanded re-release of McCartney's Band on the Run album last November.

From the official press release: Heralded as one of the most beloved solo debuts of all time, McCartney, the smash # 1 album, originally released April of 1970, yielded the timeless tracks “Every Night” and “Junk” along with the immortal classic “Maybe I’m Amazed.” McCartney II originally issued in May of 1980 was McCartney’s return to solo work after nine years touring and having released several massively successful albums with Wings. Reaching #1 in the UK, and #3 in the U.S., the album produced enduring classics such as “Coming Up,” “Waterfalls,” & “Temporary Secretary.”

Paul McCartney personally supervised all aspects of these two reissues. The remastering work was done at Abbey Road using the same team who recently remastered the complete Beatles’ catalogue. Both McCartney and McCartney II will be available in a variety of formats originating with the single disc digitally remastered Standard Edition version of each album.

McCartney will also be made available as a 2-disc (2 CD) Special Edition featuring the original remastered album plus seven bonus audio tracks including the previously unreleased outtakes “Suicide” and “Don’t Cry Baby” plus a rare live 1979 recording of “Maybe I’m Amazed”. For collectors, the reissue will additionally be made available as a lavishly packaged 3 disc (2 CD, 1 DVD) Deluxe Edition which includes an exclusive bonus DVD featuring rare and previously unseen footage, an extraordinary 128-page hard bound book containing many exclusive and unpublished photos by Paul and Linda McCartney, original album artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album and bonus audio tracks, an illustrated history of the making of the album, and expanded track by track information for the two audio discs as well as detailed historical information on the film content.

McCartney II will also be made available as a 2-disc (2 CD) Special Edition featuring the original remastered album plus eight bonus tracks including B-Sides and alternative versions. The bonus audio CD includes the #1 hit “Coming Up (Live At Glasgow, 1979)” and holiday perennial “Wonderful Christmastime.”

The lovingly packaged 4 disc (3 CD, 1 DVD) Deluxe Edition of McCartney II not only includes an exclusive bonus DVD featuring rare and previously unseen footage (including performances of ‘Coming Up’ and the new video for the unreleased track ‘Blue Sway’) but includes an additional eight rare bonus audio tracks exclusive to this edition. Additionally, the McCartney II deluxe edition contains an extraordinary 128-page hard bound book featuring many previously unpublished photos by Linda McCartney, original album and single artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album, an illustrated history of the making of the album, and expanded track by track information for all three audio discs plus detailed historical information on the film content.

Both original remastered albums and bonus audio content will also be issued as 2 disc 180gm audiophile vinyl editions which will come with an MP3 download of all included audio. Lastly, the special and deluxe versions of McCartney and McCartney II will be made available digitally worldwide.

The musical achievement of McCartney and McCartney II are noted in the annals of music history as they serve as bookends to the historic first chapter of McCartney’s solo career.

McCartney & McCartney II mark the second and third releases from the Paul McCartney Archive Collection, an ambitious reissue program that encompasses 41 years of cherished, classic material from the most successful songwriter and recording artist in music history. In November of 2010, the inaugural title in the Archive Collection, Paul McCartney & Wings’ 1973 classic Band on the Run was released to worldwide acclaim.

MCCARTNEY TRACKLIST:

CD 1 - Remastered Album

01 - The Lovely Linda

02 - That Would Be Something

03 - Valentine Day

04 - Every Night

05 - Hot As Sun / Glasses

06 - Junk

07 - Man We Was Lonely

08 - Oo You

09 - Momma Miss America

10 - Teddy Boy

11 - Singalong Junk

12 - Maybe I’m Amazed

13 - Kreen-Akrore

CD 2 - Bonus Audio Tracks

01 - Suicide [Out-take]

02 - Maybe I’m Amazed [From One Hand Clapping]

03 - Every Night [Live At Glasgow, 1979]

04 - Hot As Sun [Live At Glasgow, 1979]

05 - Maybe I’m Amazed [Live At Glasgow, 1979]

06 - Don’t Cry Baby [Out-take]

07 - Women Kind (Demo) [Mono]

DVD - Bonus Film

01 - The Album Story

02 - The Beach

03 - Maybe I’m Amazed Music Video

04 - Suicide [from One Hand Clapping]

05 - Every Night [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]

06 - Hot As Sun [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]

07 - Junk [MTV Unplugged]

08 - That Would Be Something [MTV Unplugged]

MCCARTNEY II TRACKLIST:

CD 1 - Remastered Album

01 - Coming Up

02 - Temporary Secretary

03 - On The Way

04 - Waterfalls

05 - Nobody Knows

06 - Front Parlour

07 - Summer’s Day Song

08 - Frozen Jap

09 - Bogey Music

10 - Darkroom

11 - One Of These Days

CD 2 - Bonus Audio 1

01 - Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration]

02 - Coming Up [Live At Glasgow, 1979]

03 - Check My Machine [Edit]

04 - Bogey Wobble

05 - Secret Friend

06 - Mr H Atom / You Know I’ll Get you Baby

07 - Wonderful Christmastime [Edited Version]

08 - All You Horse Riders/Blue Sway

CD 3 - Bonus Audio 2 (DELUXE 3 CD – 1 DVD EDITION ONLY)

01 - Coming Up [Full Length Version]

02 - Front Parlour [Full Length Version]

03 - Frozen Jap [Full Length Version]

04 - Darkroom [Full Length Version]

05 - Check My Machine [Full Length Version]

06 - Wonderful Christmastime [Full Length Version]

07 - Summer’s Day Song [Original without vocals]

08 - Waterfalls [DJ Edit]

DVD – Bonus Film

01 - Meet Paul McCartney

02 - Coming Up Music Video

03 - Waterfalls Music Video

04 - Wonderful Christmastime Music Video

05 - Coming Up [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]

06 - Coming Up [taken from a rehearsal session at Lower Gate Farm, 1979]

07 - Making the Coming Up Music Video

08 - Blue Sway

Do the Beatles have a best version so covers? Even when the real thing but neat sometimes. Jimi Hendrix make Day Tripper. Breeders Happiness is Warm Gun. U2 Helterskelter. William Shatner Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Beth Orton Across the universe. Thats good forme. I just don't want to return over previous time if been there before me.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone gone to see a Fab Faux show?

not me, but my mum saw them in '64 in Melbourne at Festival Hall. it was the first show that Ringo came back after his illness, and she was one of the screaming teenage girls in the audience

not me, but my mum saw them in '64 in Melbourne at Festival Hall. it was the first show that Ringo came back after his illness, and she was one of the screaming teenage girls in the audience

no, I really do mean the fab faux.

They're coming to town in November, playing Revolver and Sgt. Pepper straight through. Just want to know if anyone's seen them play and if they're really all that.

no, I really do mean the fab faux.

They're coming to town in November, playing Revolver and Sgt. Pepper straight through. Just want to know if anyone's seen them play and if they're really all that.

I've never seen 'em live, but their studio session of Abbey Road side 2 is pretty sick. Parts 2 and 3 follow on YouTube...

I just watched the whole thing. It was pretty insane and very faithful all the way down to Paul's bass chops and Ringo's fills. Reminded me of when I put on side 2 as a kid and air drum the whole way through.

And I did so again this morning...