the next Beatles thread

I've never seen 'em live, but their studio session of Abbey Road side 2 is pretty sick. Parts 2 and 3 follow on YouTube...

Watching these videos shows me a couple of things:

1. The Beatles could have toured behind their later albums (if they had any interest in doing so) with a little bit of augmentation (a keyboard/guitar player and a bass/guitar player)

2. I now know what will be played in concert halls as "Classical" Music 100 years from now.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some news on the George documentary:

Martin Scorsese's George Harrison Documentary Coming to HBO in October

HBO has acquired the North American TV rights to Martin Scorsese's "George Harrison: Living in the Material World," and will air the documentary in two parts on Oct. 5 and 6.

In the film, Scorsese traces Harrison's life from his beginnings in Liverpool through his life as a musician, philanthropist and filmmaker. Home movies and photographs that have never been seen or heard before are complemented by interviews with Eric Clapton, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, George Martin, Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty, Phil Spector, Ringo Starr and Jackie Stewart.

In late September, Abrams Books will publish Olivia Harrison's "George Harrison: Living in the Material World," a personal archive of photographs, letters, diaries and memorabilia from her late husband's life. The book release is intended to coincide with the release of Scorsese's film.

Scorsese produced the film with Harrison's widow Olivia and Nigel Sinclair, the CEO of Exclusive Media Group, which includes the documentary production outfit Spitfire Pictures. Exclusive Films International, the international sales and marketing arm of Exclusive, represents worldwide rights, excluding the U.S. Scott Pascucci serves as executive producer for Grove Street and is coordinating all aspects of the film's distribution for Grove Street.

Margaret Bodde served as executive producer on the film, which was edited by David Tedeschi, who previously worked with Scorsese, Bodde and Sinclair on "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan," and with Scorsese on the Rolling Stones concert film "Shine a Light."

Watching these videos shows me a couple of things:

1. The Beatles could have toured behind their later albums (if they had any interest in doing so) with a little bit of augmentation (a keyboard/guitar player and a bass/guitar player)

2. I now know what will be played in concert halls as "Classical" Music 100 years from now.

The musicianship on these are remarkable. I suppose it's the closest we'll get to hearing what it could have sounded like. But i hope you're right re: "classical" music.

In regards to the Fab Faux...Never seen them but wouldn't hesitate given the chance.

Read an article on them in Guitar World a few years ago. I'd guess they pull off some wild stuff. They even do Revolution 9. To recreate a crumpling paper sound from it they tried out a bunch of different materials to see what duplicated the album best. It's a cool article if you can find it in the interwebs somewhere.

dont shoot the messenger, but i heard this on rumour file (which quite often ends up being true) on the radio:

"Rumour has it that George Harrison's and John Lennon's sons are to team with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr to reform "The Beatles" for the opening/closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics. Rehearsels in secret have been witnessed and it is said that Julian Lennon sounds like his dad reincarnated and Georges son is as good as his father was on guitar. Watch this space!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

45 years ago today (or close enough) this little gem dropped on an unsuspecting public. Listening to it right now.

beatles-revolver.jpg

i will never tire of looking at that cover. timeless psychadelia.

dont shoot the messenger, but i heard this on rumour file (which quite often ends up being true) on the radio:

"Rumour has it that George Harrison's and John Lennon's sons are to team with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr to reform "The Beatles" for the opening/closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics. Rehearsels in secret have been witnessed and it is said that Julian Lennon sounds like his dad reincarnated and Georges son is as good as his father was on guitar. Watch this space!!!"

Wouldn't be the absolutely worst thing in the world, but I think I would rather see Zac on the Drums and see if James can play the bass.

what about the brand new number 2!

?

• 2 weeks later...

love_premier_party11.jpg

Thenewno2 is Dhani's new band.

It's kind of funny that the kids are both older than their dads were when they were in the Beatles.

Julian is older that John was when he was murdered.

• 1 month later...

Pretty mcuh like the Anthology but it focuses a bit more on George. Nothing spectacular. Only clip I had never seen before was the David Frost interview with John and George from 1967. Other than that the interviews with George were right out of those conducted for the Anthology series. Fresh interviews with Paul, Ringo and George Martin.