the next Beatles thread

Olivia's interviews were incredible, when she talked about the stabbing I was completely revited. If I was a bit more of a casual fan I think I'd have been more intrigued by the Beatle section, but having not only watched the Anthology seven or eight times all the way through but the even longer director's cut, there was some rehashing. The solo years were a bit more interesting to me. Though (also a huge Python fan) I think Eric Idle gets a check everytime he makes the "it was the world's most expensive cinema ticket" joke about George financing Life of Brian, because he's said that exact line in every public statement he'd made about Life of Brian in the last thirty years.

The Clapton interviews, Ringo's final story, Paul's "I am not going to say too much because he's a mate, but we was a red-blooded male," (classy way of saying he slept with a lot of women even Ringo's first wife) and Tom Petty revealing what George said to him when Roy Orbison died were my highlights.

--Mike

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George's old house in Esher is a couple of miles away from me. It's been redeveloped but apparently still recognisable. I've been meaning to cycle over there one day for a look but haven't got around to it yet - it's away from my usual routes around Hampton Court and along The Thames. Also, the pub where John's long lost Dad was working when they finally met up is a few hundred yards from me.

George's old house in Esher is a couple of miles away from me. It's been redeveloped but apparently still recognisable. I've been meaning to cycle over there one day for a look but haven't got around to it yet - it's away from my usual routes around Hampton Court and along The Thames. Also, the pub where John's long lost Dad was working when they finally met up is a few hundred yards from me.

The house in Surrey?

There is actually a blog out there dedicated to John's old house.

http://en.wikipedia....infauns_(Surrey)

Actually, after reading that I don't think I'll bother - it has now been redeveloped and is unrecognisable

The Beatles fan photo blog I read has a lot of photos of George standing in the front door of that house. Amazing to think there was a time when you could just walk up there, knock on the door, and get your photo taken with a Beatle.

Paul's "I am not going to say too much because he's a mate, but we was a red-blooded male," (classy way of saying he slept with a lot of women even Ringo's first wife)

The Beatles were in a weird place where all the rules were different. The biggest problem was no one else wanted to sleep with Yoko.

Someone has the George documentary up on Youtube. I am surprised it has not been taken down. I don't have H.B.O. - so I hope it stays on there for a while.

Those must be some of the last interviews Phil did before he was locked up.

At some point towards the end, I noticed the film is flipped, so everything is right to left.

• 4 weeks later...

TheWingedBeatle - The Movie

An hour long in depth look on the McCartney death cover up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsPCQ932vlU&feature=youtu.be

So...Paul is dead and/or Paul is a satanist.

Very entertaining...

I saw The Fab Faux over the weekend. They played Revolver and Sgt Peppers straight through.

Fantastic Concert. Definitely a must-see if you're a Beatles fan. (and who isn't except for that one crazy guy here on VC who likes everyone BUT the Beatles) For him, it's a rental.

Is he around anymore?

Someone has the George documentary up on Youtube. I am surprised it has not been taken down. I don't have H.B.O. - so I hope it stays on there for a while.

The BBC showed it in parts over the weekend. Enjoyed it but actually found it very disjointed.

• 4 months later...

Still no official release of Let It Be, but:

Yellow Submarine Gets Digital Makeover (from Billboard.com)

"Yellow Submarine," the Beatles' 1968 animated feature film, will hit shelves again on May 28, digitally restored for DVD and Blu-ray release.

The DVD/Blu-ray combo will feature bonus material including a making-of documentary, the original theatrical trailer, audio commentary, interviews, behind-the-scenes photos and more. Each edition comes packaged with reproductions of animation cels from the film, collectible stickers and a 16-page essay by Walt Disney/Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter.

The "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack album -- featuring songs like "All Together Now" and "All You Need Is Love" -- will also be rereleased on CD alongside the film.

Based around Beatles songs and pop art style, the late-'60s film used live-action photography and animation, in a process that took nearly two years, 40 animators and 140 technical artists to create.

On April 24, the "Yellow Submarine" picture book, which combines the film script with original artwork from the movie, will be released by Candlewick Press in hardcover and digital editions.

And some more info by way of Guitarworld:

The Beatles’ classic late-1968 animated feature film, Yellow Submarine, has been digitally restored for DVD and Blu-ray release on May 29. The film’s songtrack album, originally issued in 1999, will be reissued on CD the same date.

The film, which is out of print, has been restored in 4K digital resolution for the first time by Paul Rutan Jr. at Triage Motion Picture Services and Eque Inc. No automated software was used in the clean-up of the film’s photochemical elements. It was all done by hand, frame by frame.

Bonus features on the Yellow Submarine DVD and Blu-ray include a short making-of documentary titled “Mod Odyssey”; the film’s original theatrical trailer, audio commentary by producer John Coates and art director Heinz Edelmann; brief interview clips with others involved with the film; storyboard sequences; 29 original pencil drawings and 30 behind-the-scenes photos.

Both Digipak packages will include reproductions of animation cels from the film, collectible stickers and a 16-page booklet with a new essay by Yellow Submarine aficionado John Lasseter (Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios).

Lasseter writes in his essay, “As a fan of animation and as a filmmaker, I tip my hat to the artists of Yellow Submarine, whose revolutionary work helped pave the way for the fantastically diverse world of animation that we all enjoy today.”

On April 24, Candlewick Press will release a new, compact hardcover edition of the Yellow Submarine picture book.

• 2 weeks later...
Ya never know. Zak is fantastic, as in Dhani, but I think I'd prefer Julian to Sean haha edit: Now that I've actually thought about it, probably not the greatest idea

Sean can actually play the hell out of the guitar. Saw him with Ghost of Saber Tooth Tiger, and the dude could wail.

Sean can actually play the hell out of the guitar. Saw him with Ghost of Saber Tooth Tiger, and the dude could wail.

Oh yeah? I guess I've never really listened to his guitar playing. I'm just not a fan of his voice.

Didn't stop Real Love/Freebird.

huh?

Oh yeah? I guess I've never really listened to his guitar playing. I'm just not a fan of his voice.

Yeah, I wasn't paying much attention to his voice. I was listening to his guitar playing, and I was also distracted by the hotness of his model girlfriend/bass player. :thumbup