the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday I went to a 2 hour lecture at the University of Colorado called "Looking through a glass onion - Deconstructing the Beatles white album". I have to say, if you get the chance to see one of Scott Freiman's lectures, go for it. I found it entertaining as hell. I had certainly heard a lot of the stories he told but he did have plenty of fresh information I didn't know. Plus he goes through various tracks and strips them down to just bass/drums, or guitar, or vocals, etc... I could have sat there another 4 hours easy. Here is the website:

http://beatleslectures.com/

On Sunday I went to a 2 hour lecture at the University of Colorado called "Looking through a glass onion - Deconstructing the Beatles white album". I have to say, if you get the chance to see one of Scott Freiman's lectures, go for it. I found it entertaining as hell. I had certainly heard a lot of the stories he told but he did have plenty of fresh information I didn't know. Plus he goes through various tracks and strips them down to just bass/drums, or guitar, or vocals, etc... I could have sat there another 4 hours easy. Here is the website:

http://beatleslectures.com/

Hope I can track one of these down as a podcast or a YouTube vid, I'll have to check him out if he's ever in my neck of the woods.

He doesn't seem too happy to be on Letterman... I love the Beatles.

I think it's stage fright

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

By way of Billboard.com:

by Billboard Staff | September 27, 2012 10:45 EDT

Meet The Beatles' Massive Vinyl Box Set

Beatles fans, dust off your record players. The band's original studio album remasters, which were released on CD and iTunes to much fanfare in 2009 and 2010, will make their stereo vinyl debuts on November 13 as part of an elaborate box set.

The titles include the band's 12 original U.K. studio albums, as well as the U.S. version of "Magical Mystery Tour," and "Past Masters, Volumes One & Two." The Beatles' first four albums have never been released in North America in stereo on vinyl.

Each 180-gram album will be available for individual purchase, or fans can own one of 50,000 copies of the box set, which will be housed in a retro travel case and include a 252-page book by radio producer Kevin Howlett. There will be chapters dedicated for each album, plus rare photos and audiophile-geared details about how the vinyl records were prepared.

The Stereo Albums (via Apple/EMI)

"Please Please Me"

"Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" are presented in mono

(North American LP debut in stereo)

"With The Beatles"

"A Hard Day's Night"

"Beatles For Sale"

"Help!"

Features George Martin's 1986 stereo remix

"Rubber Soul"

Features George Martin's 1986 stereo remix

"Revolver"

Original album

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Packaging includes replica psychedelic inner sleeve, cardboard cutout sheet and additional insert

"Magical Mystery Tour"

Packaging includes 24-page colour book

The Beatles (White Album)

Packaging includes double-sided photo montage/lyric sheet and 4 solo colour photos

"Yellow Submarine"

"Only A Northern Song" is presented in mono. Additional insert includes original American liner notes.

"Abbey Road"

Original album

"Let It Be"

Original album

"Past Masters, Volumes One & Two" (double album)

"Love Me Do" (original single version), "She Loves You," "I'll Get You," and "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" are presented in mono. Packaging, notes and photographic content is based on the 2009 CD release.

http://thespace.org/items/e0001554

The Beatles visit a chippie during filming of Magical Mystery Tour

Unseen footage that will be part of a BBC documentary on Saturday night (probably captured to YouTube shortly afterwards for you folks) followed by a showing of a (remastered - I think) version of the film - first time on TV since 1979. I can actually remember watching it then - part of a short season when all of their films were shown and my love of the Beatles was in about it's second year adn seeing them was all new to me ...

"On October 5th 1962, fifty years ago, The Beatles released their first single Love Me Do."

Further to my earlier comment, when I started to get into the Beatles, it seemed so long ago since they had split up. Must have been a product of my own youth that less than 10 years seemed such a long time ago. Somehow it still feels like that ...

Yoko is really harming John's legacy by releasing these letters that show the bitter, petty, nasty side of John. He overcame a lot of his anger and was making amends at the end of his life.

Yoko is really harming John's legacy by releasing these letters that show the bitter, petty, nasty side of John. He overcame a lot of his anger and was making amends at the end of his life.

I think Lennon's legacy will be unharmed. I think anybody who knows anything about Lennon knows that he, at times, was a narcissistic dick - it was part of his character/being. I think the more stuff out there for people/historians to digest, the better.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oct/27/paul-mccartney-yoko-ono-beatles-david-frost

Paul McCartney: Yoko Ono did not break up the Beatles

After 50 years, the singer tells David Frost that Brian Epstein's successor was to blame for rock'n'roll's most famous split

It was almost 50 years ago and in black and white that a fresh-faced David Frost interviewed a baby-faced Paul McCartney and asked him what the future held. "I'd like to retire soon, and the way things are going I might be able to," said McCartney.

Five decades on and neither man has retired, both have reached their 70s, been knighted, and now meet again for one of the longest interviews the former Beatle has ever given.

In the hour-long programme to be broadcast on Frost's television show next month, McCartney lets it be known that Yoko Ono did not break upthe Beatles, that he remains still a working-class boy despite his fame and fortune, and that his marriage to Heather Mills is not something he likes talking about. His second marriage does not feature in the interview; photographs show only his 1969 wedding to Linda Eastman then jump to his third marriage a year ago to another American, Nancy Shevell. The acrimonious and very public divorce with Mills is not touched upon in what is billed as a unique "in-depth interview". But it is on rock'n' roll's most infamous break-up that McCartney was uncharacteristically outspoken.

"She certainly didn't break the group up, the group was breaking up," he says, which may do something to dispel decades of hostility directed at Lennon's widow by diehard fans since the group disbanded officially in 1970.

He goes further and says that without Ono opening up the avant garde for Lennon, songs such as Imagine would never have been written: "I don't think he would have done that without Yoko, so I don't think you can blame her for anything. When Yoko came along, part of her attraction was her avant garde side, her view of things, so she showed him another way to be, which was very attractive to him. So it was time for John to leave, he was definitely going to leave [one way or another]."

He says he was in retrospect happy with the timing of the end of the Beatles; they left "a neat body of work" so the split "wasn't that bad a thing".

But McCartney has not completely mellowed with age. He admits he had found Yoko sitting in on Beatles' recording sessions very difficult, but still reserves bitterness for the late Allen Klein, the businessman who tried to take over the void left when the group's manager Brian Epstein died in 1967. Throwing a mock punch at a photograph of the man's face, he says it was Klein who set McCartney fighting against the others: "I was fighting against the other three guys who'd been my lifelong soul buddies. I said I wanted to fight Klein."

He tells Frost it was the loss of their mothers at a young age – McCartney's mum died when he was 14 and Lennon's when he was 17 – that helped shape them into becoming such successful musicians: "That was a big bond with John."

He talks too of the loss of Linda, the mother of four of his five children. He admits that despite the family trying everything to hold back the cancer that killed her, he had known from the first diagnosis she would not survive. "The doctors had told me privately that we'd caught it too late, that she'll have about 18 months. And that was what she had."

On a happier note, the world's most successful songwriter says his role to his five children, Mary, Heather, Stella and James with Linda and eight-year-old Beatrice with Heather Mills, and eight grandchildren is the most important one of his life. "Being a father, grandfather, is my coolest thing."

McCartney is apparently known for only giving 15-minute interviews and he has managed to achieve a great deal of privacy over his personal life throughout his career. This latest meeting between the two British legends is billed as Frost's return to the "Nixon-style" interviews for the TV channel Al Jazeera English, where he has worked since its launch in 2006. The 73-year-old Frost said of the 60-minute episodes, which start on 9 November: "The longer conversation not just allows us to go into more depth, but relaxes interviewees to talk more about their life and work.

• 3 weeks later...