the next Beatles thread

Another BBC release: (out November 2013)

Track Listing:

CD ONE
1. And Here We Are Again (Speech)
2. WORDS OF LOVE
3. How About It, Gorgeous? (Speech)
4. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET
5. LUCILLE
6. Hey, Paul… (Speech)
7. ANNA (GO TO HIM)
8. Hello! (Speech)
9. PLEASE PLEASE ME
10. MISERY
11. I’M TALKING ABOUT YOU
12. A Real Treat (Speech)
13. BOYS
14. Absolutely Fab (Speech)
15. CHAINS
16. ASK ME WHY
17. TILL THERE WAS YOU
18. LEND ME YOUR COMB
19. Lower 5E (Speech)
20. THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE
21. ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN
22. THERE’S A PLACE
23. Bumper Bundle (Speech)
24. P.S. I LOVE YOU
25. PLEASE MISTER POSTMAN
26. BEAUTIFUL DREAMER
27. DEVIL IN HER HEART
28. The 49 Weeks (Speech)
29. SURE TO FALL (IN LOVE WITH YOU)
30. Never Mind, Eh? (Speech)
31. TWIST AND SHOUT
32. Bye, Bye (speech)
33. John - Pop Profile (Speech)
34. George - Pop Profile (Speech)

CD TWO
1. I SAW HER STANDING THERE
2. GLAD ALL OVER
3. Lift Lid Again (Speech)
4. I’LL GET YOU
5. SHE LOVES YOU
6. MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SATURDAY CLUB
8. Now Hush, Hush (Speech)
9. FROM ME TO YOU
10. MONEY (THAT’S WHAT I WANT)
11. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
12. Brian Bathtubes (Speech)
13. THIS BOY
14. If I Wasn’t In America (Speech)
15. I GOT A WOMAN
16. LONG TALL SALLY
17. IF I FELL
18. A Hard Job Writing Them (Speech)
19. AND I LOVE HER
20. Oh, Can’t We? Yes We Can (Speech)
21. YOU CAN’T DO THAT
22. HONEY DON’T
23. I’LL FOLLOW THE SUN
24. Green With Black Shutters (Speech)
25. KANSAS CITY/HEY-HEY-HEY-HEY!
26. That’s What We’re Here For (Speech)
27. I FEEL FINE (STUDIO OUTTAKE)
28. Paul - Pop Profile (Speech)
29. Ringo - Pop Profile (Speech)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably my own prejudice against Lynne's production style, but I can't help wonder if Macca's praise of his "precision" in that clip is a back-handed compliment. It is exactly the right word, but I could never place it before, for what I find antiseptic and off-putting about Lynne's production, especially on Free As A Bird.

Yes, I quickly grew to hate that chugga-crash sound back in the day and The Travelling Wilburys left me cold. I did like some ELO when there was still some novelty to their sound. I watched the BBC doc on TV since they are usually so well done that even the ones relating to artists I am not particularly fond of are interesting. There was relatively little actually on ELO, and a surprising amount on that one incident with the remaining Beatles. However, he did come across as a nice ego-less sort of guy, and I warmed to that.

In the full doc there were several parts where he is apparently (and on his own) re-recording his most famous songs note for note (no idea if a new album has actually surfaced yet) so that he can get the sound he believes they should have now that technology has improved. Yes - precision/obsession ...

I read that somewhere - on the Record Collector website I think. I think he is sort full of himself. When I was a youngster, ELO were very popular. I never got into them though. I do like some songs of The Move. I suppose it must have been George that pushed for him to do the Free As A Bird and the other tracks.

I like ELO's work on the Xanadu soundtrack.  That's about it.  

Their/his production style is a horrible mix with the Beatles' engineering and production.  What makes so many of the Beatles' recordings sound so amazing is the pushing of sonic/recording limits.  So much of their sound is just on the edge of distortion or over it.  Very few acts had recorded drums the way Martin, Emerick, etc. did.  All of them have that great, raw, band-is-in-the-next-room feel.    ELOs records have the band-is-being-recorded-in-a-cleanroom feel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost all week the Beeb has had Macca's recent hour long Maida Vale show on repeat on one of its digital channels. its a nice set, and for once the new songs stand up none too shabbily. I applied to get a free ticket two or three weeks ago (just as I often do with Later With Jools', but no joy.

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years ( Mark Lewisohn) the other day. He goes into a lot of family background - which is sort of interesting. Even at 900 pages, I can tell he had to cut a lot out. Of course, this is only the first volume. I think I read there is going to be three books altogether.

I also grabbed Live At The BBC Volume 2. I have to wonder why they didn't just put all the BBC stuff out when the first BBC album was released in 1994.

I don't know if I will grab the first volume again or not. Some say the re-mastering sounds better.

Times change:

New at Number 7 is The Beatles' "On Air: Live at the BBC Volume 2," which bows with 37,000 copies sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The first "BBC" set debuted and peaked at No. 3, selling 360,000 copies in its first week (Dec. 24, 1994.)

• 3 weeks later...

By way of Billboard:

The Beatles Ready Box Set of All 13 U.S. AlbumsThe re-issues drop Jan. 21, leading up to the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first trip to America

With the 50th anniversary of "Beatlemania" arriving early next year, Capitol Records will re-release all of 13 the Beatles' American releases in a set titled "The U.S. Albums."

The set drops Jan. 21 in North America and features reissues of the band's 13 American albums -- albums that often held different track lists, song mixes, titles, and art than their U.K. counterparts. Five of them (listed below) have never been available on CD before.

The collection begins with 1964's "Meet the Beatles!" and concludes with 1970's "Hey Jude," though all albums except from the latter fall between the years 1964 and 1966, when the band most often released differing albums in the U.S. and Britain.

The 13 CDs come with carefully-replicated album art (including the albums' inner sleeves), along with a 64-page booklet with photos and original LP artwork. All titles come in mono and stereo, except "The Beatles’ Story" and "Hey Jude," which are stereo only.

For a limited time, the CDs (with the exception of the audio commentary album "The Beatles' Story")  all titles will be available individually as well.

Weeks after the Jan. 21 release of the box set, the music world will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' arrival in America on Feb. 7, 1964, when the quartet famously touched down in New York's John F. Kennedy Airport. Two nights later, they made their legendary 5-song performance on the "Ed Sullivan Show," and on Feb. 11, they played their first U.S. concert at Washington, DC's Washington Coliseum.

A two-hour special titled “The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles,” will air on CBS on Feb. 9 at 8 PM (ET), marking the exact 50-year anniversary of the "Sullivan" performance.

Here's a full list of the 13 albums included:

Meet The Beatles! (1964)
The Beatles’ Second Album (1964)
A Hard Day’s Night (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1964) *
Something New (1964)
The Beatles’ Story (1964) *
Beatles ’65 (1965)
The Early Beatles (1965)
Beatles VI (1965)
Help! (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Yesterday And Today (1966) *
Revolver (1966) *
Hey Jude (1970) *

* American version previously unavailable on CD

I've never heard of that album The Early Beatles.

What else is out there?

I know of: A Collection of Beatles Oldies Hey Jude (The Beatles Again), Rock 'n' Roll Music, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, Love Songs, and Reel Music.

I've read that Paul is hesitate to release Let It Be since George died.

I have a vinyl copy of The Early Beatles, among a few other American releases. The Beatles camp won't get me to buy that box set, though. I have The Beatles: In Mono and that's pretty much the holy grail. I don't need those chopped-up albums, unless it's an original copy of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover.