the next Beatles thread

^^^  Interesting ...  Was in Twickenham the other day, and yesterday someone in the office said that Macca was seen out and about in central London - possibly something to do with 50 years since the rooftop event? Haven't heard anything today though.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rooftop sequence is so powerful. Of course - back in the day - you could only read about it. I probably did not see it until sometime in the early 1990s.

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the rooftop concert, I listened to Let it Be yesterday.  Still miffed that "Don't Let Me Down" didn't make it onto the album.  Watched a YouTube video of the rooftop version of the song -- it bought a big 'ol lump to my throat.  

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the rooftop concert, I listened to Let it Be yesterday.  Still miffed that "Don't Let Me Down" didn't make it onto the album.  Watched a YouTube video of the rooftop version of the song -- it bought a big 'ol lump to my throat.  

Yea - that is a heavy song.

That rooftop sequence is so powerful. Of course - back in the day - you could only read about it. I probably did not see it until sometime in the early 1990s.

This is strange. I remember seeing as a teen at least some b&w clips of Get Back and maybe also DLMD in the roof 'concert'- I think Billy Preston was at keyboards -in the then only channel of TV in Spain, in Franco dictator times.

Don't let me down is among my Lennon favorites. And one of the few Beatle songs I remember the guitar chords, now that I am practicing after a 30-y hiatus

• 8 months later...

If you have access there have been some nice BBC radio 2 programs in their special Beatles week prior to the Abbey Road at 50 mega bundle release (which in an ideal world I'd get but can't justify in the real world - same as for the White Album though I have someone here to thank for making some mp3s available of the Esher demos, which is appropriate as I live in Esher).

Funny how when I started listening in 77-78 the 60s seemed so far away. Also, still a major claim to fame that I've used the urinals in Abbey Road, though again a lot of urine has passed through the pipe since then.

It's pretty unrecognisable now after substantial redevelopment. Olivia Harrison hasn't lived there for some time. She had an hour long program of reminiscences in that Beatles radio week I mentioned above. Last I heard some South Africans were living there. A couple of years ago there was a get together to put a Blue Plaque up at the house.

Yes, as I've been trying to say. It's unrecognisable (apart from they kept some circular windows) and no one at all related to GH lives there now.

ah. I'm confused as you mentioned that Olivia Harrison hadn't lived there in quite some time, when, in fact, she never lived there. George was still married to Pattie when they sold it in 1970. 

• 11 months later...

When's that Jackson version of Let It Be going to surface? Found this today to watch - initially out of a sense of duty but actually enjoyed it alot more than I remember from the last time about 30 years ago when it was on the BBC

https://vimeo.com/393843142

Just listened to Sean Lennon's hour long interview with Macca.

Enjoyed it - a conversation more than an interview and some nice moments e.g. Sean hearing about his grandmother for the first time from someone who actually met her. Sean sounds like a nice bloke too.

If you can't hear it outside the UK here then no doubt it will be on youtube soon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08t4mx9

13 hours ago, Analogman said:

I recall reading somewhere a while back that they (the Beatles adult children) were going to form a group. I am guessing that was just some sort of made up rumor.

I think I remember them being booked into a venue in Des Moines. I don't know if the show ever happened. Sometime in the past decade?