the next Beatles thread

As I have often said (and you know), if you look at the time they had to come up with songs, record them, and then do all the other stuff they had to do, even the songs that are not so great take on a new meaning.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a good little Dylanesque groove going on, but the lyrics are just reprehensible. I don't really have a problem with, say, Elvis singing "rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man" in "Baby Let's Play House" cuz it's kind of a throwaway line, but in "Run For Your Life" there's no escape from the vitriol. It's disgusting.

Oh really? I guess I never took it all that seriously. I figured he was just being hyperbolic. Sort of a "if my thought dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine."

I know what you mean Matt. I guess I just think of the worst of Lennon's social tendencies when I hear it: the insolent, little snot Lennon.

Yeah, that makes sense when you put it that way. I can't watch him parading around on stage when he is mocking, not sure how to put it, mentally retarded people. If there was a song that reminded me of that, I'd never listen to it.

Yeah, that makes sense when you put it that way. I can't watch him parading around on stage when he is mocking, not sure how to put it, mentally retarded people. If there was a song that reminded me of that, I'd never listen to it.

There is a whole long passage about his fear of people like that in the Beatles Anthology book.

I was reading some (really) old emails recently and a quote from Howard Stern came up, from around the time of one of M. Chapman's parole hearings. Robin had said that Yoko Ono refused to discuss the man at all, of course. To which Stern said: "Stupid Chapman. Killed the one guy who'd have probably listened to him." I can dig that a lot.

I am a new iTunes user. Can someone help me figure out to burn a cd that has some gapless tracks, but not all gapless tracks? Ie, Sgt Pepper? I can't figure it out, and I looked online. All I see is options for all or nothing. Thanks pals.

I am a new iTunes user. Can someone help me figure out to burn a cd that has some gapless tracks, but not all gapless tracks? Ie, Sgt Pepper? I can't figure it out, and I looked online. All I see is options for all or nothing. Thanks pals.

Well gapless should retain the flow of the record, regardless. Right? Are you saying that, say, when you choose gapless, Fixing A Hole begins earlier than it should after Getting Better?

Well gapless should retain the flow of the record, regardless. Right? Are you saying that, say, when you choose gapless, Fixing A Hole begins earlier than it should after Getting Better?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I burn, I get a gap between Sgt Pepper and With a Little Help. I didnt try "gapless" because I figured that would make every track gapless, and obviously, as you said, there should be a gap between Fixing A Hole and Getting Better.

Thanks Sir S. I just tried what you suggested. The CD works right in Windows Media and iTunes, but not in Rhapsody.

Now I need to figure out why that is. Maybe Rhapsody automatically adds a gap or WMA/iTunes automatically crossfades? Holy crap this is annoying.

Thanks again for the help.

i had this problem recently. back when i used Easy CD Creator you could take direct wav files and make a CD instead of having to rip wav to mp3 and then back to wav to burn the Cd (it seems stupid this is the only option to degrade a file when it's unneccesary).

i think Windows Media Player has no option to take out the 2 second gap that i can find. Nero has that option but you can still hear a slight pause. it's very annoying.

btw - Deep Discount DVD has the Mono box for $209, so i ordered it. $30 lower than Amazon though the Stereo is pretty close.

I happened to see a commercial for this on TV when I was at the airport yesterday.

Wednesday, November 25 10:00 PM on The History Channel:

The Beatles On Record

In 1962, an unknown group from Liverpool entered Abbey Road Studios to record their debut single. During the next eight years they created what is arguably regarded as the greatest collection of studio recordings of the 20th century. This special charts The Beatles' extraordinary journey in the studio from "Please Please Me" to "Abbey Road" and reflects on how they developed as musicians, matured as songwriters and created a body of work that sounds as fresh in 2009 as the time it was recorded. Narrated entirely by John, Paul, George, Ringo and Sir George Martin, the documentary features over 60 classic songs, rare footage and photos from The Beatles' archives and never heard before out-takes of studio chat from the "Abbey Road" recording sessions.

I happened to see a commercial for this on TV when I was at the airport yesterday.

Wednesday, November 25 10:00 PM on The History Channel:

The Beatles On Record

that's been shown in the uk a while back. it's what the "mini documentaries" that are on the first batch of cds is culled from. it's quite interesting actually, but should have just been a tv show - cos when you split the clips up it's pretty minimal in detail.

that's been shown in the uk a while back. it's what the "mini documentaries" that are on the first batch of cds is culled from. it's quite interesting actually, but should have just been a tv show - cos when you split the clips up it's pretty minimal in detail.

I was thinking it was a BBC produced deal.

Sir Stewart, you're spot on. "The Long And Winding Road" was the most 'ruined' of the songs, in my opinion. Ridiculously cheesy and overproduced...which is a shame, because it's a great song!

I'm listening to the entire box again today from start to finish (on Beatles for Sale now). Just plain awesome.

Listening to the Let It Be...Naked version, it just hit me that Phil Spector rendered "The Long And Winding Road" so maudlin and over-the-top that EVEN PAUL MCCARTNEY DIDN'T LIKE IT.

I know. I always think about that when I hear My Love, I find the production on that to be just as bad if not even worse than Spector's The Long And Winding Road.

--Mike

I acquired a proper mono set today after having only been familiar with mp3 versions of select albums. :yucky I have almost worn out my stereo cds these past 2 months so this mono is a breath of fresh air. Sgt. Pepper's is def. my favorite. the mix is perfect. this is also the first time I am listening to the Beatles' first 3 records. I haven't bought them on stereo as it seems to be a moot point. God, they are fantastic! before I made it home to listen to them, this bookstore I was at was playing I Saw Her Standing There and I knew that was some sort of sign from above. should have listened to you all sooner about these mixes!

I agree, Sgt Pepper mono is a revelation.

You can tell more time was taken in the mix.

One thing that really stood out that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is how the crazy string part comes in and out on A Day in the Life. It flows seemlessly, whereas that transition is a little sloppy in stereo to me.