Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love --- especially Brilliant Disguise

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backstreets - Bruce

Wow...forgot about that one. A song about betrayal for sure

Love that song, but I don't really associate it with breaking up. I actually associate it with a particular kind of sexiness.

Have to admit, I agree with you. Not something I would go to as a break up song so not even sure why I picked it. I guess if you just listen to the chorus it might feel like one.

I know I’m probably going to get crucified for some of these suggestions so I’ll call this list:

"The Sublime To The Ridiculous For The Lovelorn"

Taking It All Too Hard – Genesis

Alone Tonight – Genesis

You Know What I Mean – Phil Collins

If Leaving Me is Easy – Phil Collins

It’s Too Late – Foghat

My Opening Farewell – Bonnie Raitt

Only Lie Worth Telling – Paul Westerberg

If You Could Read My Mind – Gordon Lightfoot

Operator – Jim Croce

I Almost Forgot – Matthew Sweet

Anymore – Samples

Dirty Girl – Eels

I Wish I Was Your Mother – Mott The Hoople

Hear Come Those Tears Again – Jackson Browne

Fountain of Sorrow – Jackson Browne

I Was A Fool To Care – James Taylor

Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright – Bob Dylan

Everybody Loves A Clown – Gary Lewis & The Playboys

Driving With The Brakes On – Del Amitri

Too Much Too Soon – Green Day

Bleu --- Redhead

Bleu McAuley is a Boston based musician and he has a killer voice. His album Redhead is a mixture of obsession and desperation that really conveys the emotions of a not so pleasant breakup.

I really dig this record and highly recommend it to any and everyone.

We had a moment

We had a long talk

We had a few laughs

We had a night off

We had a few drinks

We happened so fast

Before I noticed

We had a sofa

I know, I know, I know, I know we had a few flights

I don't see why we had to say bye

I'm doin' fine

My friends all say so

I'm doin' all right

But that don't mean dick unless you know, I know, you know

I got my good days

I got my bad days

I know, I know, I know, I know that everyone does

And I know one day I'll be like I was

I'm goin' out more

And I been datin'

There's even one girl I'm kinda seein'

She really likes me

We got a good thing

She keeps on tellin' me...

I'm doin' fine

My friends all say so

I'm doin' all right

I know you think things will never change

But I think I know somethin' you don't

Give me the chance to explain

I'm doin' fine

I'm doin' all right

I know, you know, I know, you know

waking up alone on a saturday morning is very hard. it's even harder trying not to think about her waking up alone too. and what she is thinking or how she is feeling. i just want to see her so bad. that's all i really want right now. even if things are ending, hanging out and suffereing together sounds like it would be so much nicer than suffering alone.

Street Legal and Sea Change have been the only two albums that have recieved any sort of heavy play. I cant really focus on anything right now, let alone the music. So it's all just background noise. I think i'm gonna try to get out of hte house today and go hiking or something. Literally every thing reminds me of her. and it's hard to find anything to do that would be enjoyable right now. sweet blog.

//end rant.

How could I forget - Pedro the Lion - The Poison

The poison makes its way through my body slowly

Into the pleasure centers of my brain

If you were here I would admit that I'm an asshole

But now it’s over and I can’t stay sober

Though it isn't like I tried

And on the front porch, or on an airplane on vacation

Or out for dinner in a nearby town

I was so proud just to have you sitting with me

But now it’s over and I can’t stay sober

Pour and swallow

Follow one shot with another

I'll keep on till you agree to come back over

Or until there are X's on my eyes

My old man always swore that hell would have no flame

Just a front row seat

To watch your true love pack her things and drive away

No one has mentioned Blur's album 13. What the hell?

No Distance Left To Run is such an emotional vocal performance. It's incredible how wounded and fragile Damon sounds in that song. Wonderful stuff.

Love that album.

Although, for my money, the high point is still "Tender"; it goes on for some 7-1/2 minutes and still could go on longer.

An equally great break-up song.

If You Leave-OMD

If you leave, don’t leave now

Please don’t take my heart away

Promise me, just one more night

Then we’ll go our separate ways

We’ve always had time on our sides

Now it’s fading fast

Every second, every moment

We’ve got to, We’ve got to make it last

I touched you once, I touched you twice

I won’t let go at any price

I need you now like I needed you then

You always said we'd still be friends someday

If you leave I won't cry

I won't waste one single day

But if you leave don't look back

I'll be running the other way

Seven years went under the bridge

Like time was standing still

Heaven knows what happens now

You’ve got to, You’ve got to say you will

I won't let go at any price

You always said we'd meet again

You always said we’d still be friends

You always said we'd meet again someday

ohwoah ohwoah ohwoah ohwoah ohwoah

If you leave (ohwoah)

If you leave (ohwoah)

If you leave (ohwoah)

Don’t look back

Don’t look back

Love that album.

Although, for my money, the high point is still "Tender"; it goes on for some 7-1/2 minutes and still could go on longer.

An equally great break-up song.

Oh, I love Tender. Gorgeously heartbreaking song.

But No Distance Left To Run, is a more emotional song. The slight quiver in Damon's voice throughout the song is just powerful.

I think he said in interviews that recording that song is when he really realized that it had ended. So to me, it's a ridiculously great break-up song for the stage where you accept it, but still don't like it.

"I won't kill myself trying to stay in your life" and "when you're coming down, think of me" are some of Damon's best lyrics.

tender is a great song! Listned to that one a lot a long time ago. Just read the lyrics again, and i think it will find it's way back into my listening library. Thanks for all the recomendations everyone. I apreciate it.

SO far, tender is the night. and tender is the morning. and tender are all the places we use to go together. the grocery store, our favorite bike trails. meals we use to eat together do not taste as good naymore. shows we use to watch together are no longer entertaining. Everything in my life reminds me of her in some way. And it is very hard feeling that all these things are different now. But the hardest part, by far, is accepting that i am no longer a part of her life even though she very is still a part of mine. And its hard thinking how she elected to kick me out of her life.

I know i am misusing this forum and i'm sorry for ranting and raving about my relationship turmoil. But it helps a lot. I haven't talked to too many people about this. We had a lot of shared friends and i feel like a lot of them are closer to her than they are to me. so it has been very lonley. And this helps me get some it out. So thank you.

One final off topic question. She wants to remain friends. And she is very serious about this. It's not her just being cliche or nice. She really does treasure my friendship. What does this mean? It is really hard for me to see her and be friends. It's great when we are together because all i want is to see her and be with her. Just talking to her puts me at ease and makes me so much more comfortable. Should i continue to keep this friendship going? Is there a chance we will get back together? I know it is impossible to say since none of you know either of us... But she wants to be friends? What is that about?

tender is a great song! Listned to that one a lot a long time ago. Just read the lyrics again, and i think it will find it's way back into my listening library. Thanks for all the recomendations everyone. I apreciate it.

SO far, tender is the night. and tender is the morning. and tender are all the places we use to go together. the grocery store, our favorite bike trails. meals we use to eat together do not taste as good naymore. shows we use to watch together are no longer entertaining. Everything in my life reminds me of her in some way. And it is very hard feeling that all these things are different now. But the hardest part, by far, is accepting that i am no longer a part of her life even though she very is still a part of mine. And its hard thinking how she elected to kick me out of her life.

I know i am misusing this forum and i'm sorry for ranting and raving about my relationship turmoil. But it helps a lot. I haven't talked to too many people about this. We had a lot of shared friends and i feel like a lot of them are closer to her than they are to me. so it has been very lonley. And this helps me get some it out. So thank you.

One final off topic question. She wants to remain friends. And she is very serious about this. It's not her just being cliche or nice. She really does treasure my friendship. What does this mean? It is really hard for me to see her and be friends. It's great when we are together because all i want is to see her and be with her. Just talking to her puts me at ease and makes me so much more comfortable. Should i continue to keep this friendship going? Is there a chance we will get back together? I know it is impossible to say since none of you know either of us... But she wants to be friends? What is that about?

If it's too hard for you, tell her "tough shit".

Not to be petty, but if she hurt you, she should not be able to continue doing so by maintaining a presence in your life, just because SHE wants to be friends.

Be a little selfish this time.

And, more importantly, be honest,

If for you - at this point - friendship potentially means "Is there a chance we will get back together?", then friendship - at this point - is not a healthy choice for either of you. I'd tell her you think you both need time apart, allowing perspective, before moving forward with an established "this is our relationship is now" statement.

I karaoked 'Tender' once. Nailed it too, for the record. :D

hun-show.jpg

i know it is best for me to just cut all ties with her and all forms of communication. But i don't really want to end this relationship either. she is the one who wants to end it. so it's alot easier said than done. i think it is just time for me to stop being a pussy and get on with getting over it. again, easier said than done but maybe if i put my mind to it...

iknow it is best for me to just cut all ties with her and all forms ofcommunication. But i don't really want to end this relationship either.she is the one who wants to end it. so it's alot easier said than done.i think it is just time for me to stop being a pussy and get on withgetting over it. again, easier said than done but maybe if i put mymind to it...

Absolutely easier said than done. But time and new experiences will aid you. Good luck.

Oh and lots of this may help too:

rossdylan200.jpg

The last two Bob Mould discs are just amazing break up discs.

Ryan Adams-Love is Hell is also nice.

I also think Dylan's "Together Through Life" is as heartbreaking as anything on Blood on the Tracks.

Of course, The Cure's Disintigration

The last two Bob Mould discs are just amazing break up discs.

Ryan Adams-Love is Hell is also nice.

I also think Dylan's "Together Through Life" is as heartbreaking as anything on Blood on the Tracks.

Of course, The Cure's Disintigration

Whoaaa. I love Together Through Life. It's a great record with a bunch of great songs. But it's not really a "heartbreaking" album. And certainly not as emotional as BOTT.

Whoaaa. I love Together Through Life. It's a great record with a bunch of great songs. But it's not really a "heartbreaking" album. And certainly not as emotional as BOTT.

Maybe it's because I'm in the middle of a divorce, but I hear a ton of loss and looking back on this new Dylan disc. Even "It's All Good" is sarcastic as hell.