So this year I've been keeping up fairly well with buying '09 releases (having a decently paying job for once helps) and I'd say it's been a pretty good year so far, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any albums I'm missing out on that I really ought to have. Here's what I've got so far...but make your suggestions, I'd love to get surprised with a release I just haven't given a chance to yet.

Yo La Tengo-Popular Songs

Wilco-Wilco (The Album)

Tortoise-Beacons of the Ancestorship

Sonic Youth-The Eternal

Phoenix-Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Passion Pit-Manners

Neko Case-Middle Cyclone

Jim O'Rourke-The Visitor

Iron And Wine-Around The Well

Grizzly Bear-Veckatimast

Decemberists-Hazards of Love

Bowerbirds-Upper Air

Andrew Bird-Useless Creatures/Noble Beast

7 Worlds Collide-The Sun Came Out

Dan Deacon-Bromst

Oh...and a couple I'm already considering, but haven't gotten around to yet: Animal Collective, Volcano Choir, Dirty Projectors, Tyondai Braxton, Califone, Bill Callahan, (also haven't picked up a Beatles remastered box yet...but I am planning to for sure)

Sparklehorse/Dangermouse/David Lynch: Dark Night Of The Soul (If You Find It!)

Jason Lytle (Grandaddy): Yours Truly, The Commuter

Monsters Of Folk: Monsters Of Folk

M. Ward: Hold Time

Neil Young: Archive Volume I (You said you had a decent paying job!!)

You have a lot of the essentials, but I absolutely loved the Japandroids album called Post-Nothing as well as Hospice by The Antlers, both of while you'll probably enjoy based on what your choices

WF -

Is that Vic Chesnutt or David Lynch singing the haunting, final (title)track ?

My tracklisting says Vic. My ears, Dave.

The final track is indeed Mr. Lynch. The one that preceeds it (Grim Augery) is Vic Chesnutt. What do you think of the record? It has a couple of average songs but on the whole I love it. The Flaming Lips and Jason Lytle tracks are especially good, as is the one by the guy from the Strokes. I'm not sure what the latest is with this record and an official release date.

DNOTS is my number two album this year, with the Super Furries at number one. For an album with so many different vocalists/styles, it holds itself together very well. The consistent lyrical themes are rather impressive. Even a guy like Iggy Pop, not known for poetic lyrics, contributes a song that fits in thematically.

My personal favorite track is Gruff Rhys', but the first 6 or so are really unstoppable.

It's a shame the album won't be officially released. Or, at least it doesn't look like it will be. It really is a great project.

As far as other albums, Jarvis Cocker and the Manic Street Preachers both put out excellent, Steve Albini produced albums this year.

DNOTS is my number two album this year, with the Super Furries at number one. For an album with so many different vocalists/styles, it holds itself together very well. The consistent lyrical themes are rather impressive. Even a guy like Iggy Pop, not known for poetic lyrics, contributes a song that fits in thematically.

My personal favorite track is Gruff Rhys', but the first 6 or so are really unstoppable.

It's a shame the album won't be officially released. Or, at least it doesn't look like it will be. It really is a great project.

I recently picked up the other Sparklehorse related 2009 project 'In The Fish Tank'. Its a collaboration with Fennesz and its far less essential. Its mostly instrumental ambient tracks which is pleasant but not great. Whilst I do love the DNOTS project I really want to hear a more traditional Sparklehorse record next year.

Oh yeah, I'd love a new legit Sparklehorse album. DNOTS made his catalogue finally click with me, so I've been listening to him a lot this year. Good Morning Spider is just an amazing record.

However, I'm not gonna hold my breath for anything else Linkous-related. Brilliant as he may be, he's not known for releasing a lot of music in a short time.

The final track is indeed Mr. Lynch. The one that preceeds it (Grim Augery) is Vic Chesnutt. What do you think of the record? It has a couple of average songs but on the whole I love it. The Flaming Lips and Jason Lytle tracks are especially good, as is the one by the guy from the Strokes. I'm not sure what the latest is with this record and an official release date.

Cool, I thought so. As a whole, the record's surprisingly good. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Mark Linkous as well. :thumbup

Did everyone who listed the new Boston Spaceships record buy it? I can't find it online anywhere, and despite not totally loving the first two singles, I'm really interested since I've heard so much awesome press for it.

Did everyone who listed the new Boston Spaceships record buy it? I can't find it online anywhere, and despite not totally loving the first two singles, I'm really interested since I've heard so much awesome press for it.

Yes. It was purchased from The Factory of Raw Essentials

http://www.thefactoryofrawessentials.com/boston_spaceships.html

What are the two singles - Question Girl & How Wrong You Are ?

I think both are great. That said, there are 8-9 others songs which are as good or better.

If you like Dan Deacon's Bromst then I'd suggest the following:

Clark - Totems Flare

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas - II

The Field - Yesterday & Today

Clark is more aggressive but also wonderfully melodic, also a couple of Explosions/Sigur moments in there.

Lindstrom / Prins Thomas is a spacey jam record that is deceptively hypnotic.

The Field is trancey and repetitious, not quite as good as his previous album but has some good moments, particularly when John Stanier from Battles rocks up.

i got a leak and listened to it 4,000 times and then went out to my friendly neighborhood record store on tuesday morning and got a copy

but yeah, factory of raw essentials (circular beast exhibit) is very cool too

if you don't totally dig question girl and how wrong you are ... i dunno, to me - along with radical amazement (and meddle and trashed aircraft and good circuitry soldier) two of the finest things bob has done since FaCE

the bridge in question girl ... then the second bridge, adding the drums and another layer of guitar ... jesus, almost a GBV-esque moment

mighty stuff