Dave Rawlings Machine

My wife and I were listening to this several times while traveling this weekend and I think we both dug the first few songs, but overall thought it was only okay. I think I was just initially liked that they put a record out but I am now t the point to where I feel that it would have made a really nice 5 song ep.

Any word on why it's taking so long for Gillian to put a record out? It's almost like she's bee hiding behind the DRM for a few years now.

I had the pleasure of seeing Gillian & Dave this year one day at Newport, then the following morning as DRM (btw, Dave was in the most awesome slim, cowboy-style suit), then again at Folks Fest out in CO. So excited for this release...have been listening to it since last week.

the reason gillian says she's not put an album out in so long is because she hasn't felt that any of the new songs have fallen together to make an album. interesting, given the fact that dave's release is totally disjointed. about 3 great songs. could do without the strings though. the rest of the songs are just traditional toss-offs. to me, gillian is not a basic trad artist. she takes that context, but writes REALLY good songs.

they have been touring, but i have a feeling they might be running out of steam and just stay on the road to make a living. if rawling's album contains the pick of the crop on his end, then they've hit a dry spell. too bad. those first three albums and about half of the fourth were incredible.

That's interesting to hear that they've hit a wall creatively and, perhaps, helps put this album in perspective. Maybe it's time for Gillian to carefully curate a covers album or something like that? I suppose that the DRM album is that stop-gag type release. David is a heck of a musician, songwriter and a sideman, but I think this release just goes to show that Gillian is truly the one that should be at the front of their partnership. The album is a nice side track or distraction, but it's not nearly as satisfying as a proper album from them.

I think they should have just released a DRM live album. That would have been killer: seriously one of my top 3 concert experiences ever. From the second I saw them as the DRM I wanted a DRM album of some sort. I guess my expectations for this album may have been to high.

I caught the Machine last night in Asheville NC. Definately worth the effort if they come within driving distance. A solid two hours of the the band and some with just David & Gillian. They did the entire album plus other covers, Gillian sang some and an Old Crow song. I won't give away any surprises.

Here's a couple of good interviews along with the remaining dates including in-stores.

http://www.mountainx.com/ae/2009/the_full_dave_rawlings_interview

http://flagpole.com/Weekly/Features/DaveRawlingsMachine-25Nov09

11/30/09 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle

12/0/09 Knoxville, TN - Disc Exchange

12/1/09 Knoxville, TN Bijou Theatre

12/3/09 Nashville, TN - Grimey’s

12/3/09 Nashville, TN Exit/In

12/4/09 Louisville, KY - Ear X-Tacy

12/4/09 Louisville, KY Headliners

12/5/09 Bloomington, IN Bluebird Nightclub

12/6/09 Chicago, IL Abbey Pub

12/7/09 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon

12/9/09 Minneapolis, MN - Electric Fetus

12/9/09 Minneapolis, MN Cedar Cultural Center

12/10/09 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room

12/11/09 Lawrence, KS Granada Theatre

12/13/09 Austin, TX - Waterloo Records

12/13/09 Austin, TX The Parish

12/14/09 Austin, TX The Parish

12/18/09 Nashville, TN The Grand Ole Opry

12/19/09 Nashville, TN The Grand Ole Opry

That's interesting to hear that they've hit a wall creatively and, perhaps, helps put this album in perspective. Maybe it's time for Gillian to carefully curate a covers album or something like that? I suppose that the DRM album is that stop-gag type release. David is a heck of a musician, songwriter and a sideman, but I think this release just goes to show that Gillian is truly the one that should be at the front of their partnership. The album is a nice side track or distraction, but it's not nearly as satisfying as a proper album from them.

I think they should have just released a DRM live album. That would have been killer: seriously one of my top 3 concert experiences ever. From the second I saw them as the DRM I wanted a DRM album of some sort. I guess my expectations for this album may have been to high.

right on. i agree completely. the DRM live seemed to be all about fun covers like dylan, neil young, townes. an album with some of the live staples would have been so good. Queen Jane etc.

• 3 weeks later...

For those on the west coast....

West Coast Tour Dates Announced

Dave and the band will tour the west coast in February.

Check the official website soon for more information including on-sale dates.

Date City Venue

2/2/09 Solana Beach, CA Belly Up

2/4/09 Los Angeles, CA Troubadour

2/5/09 Santa Cruz, CA The Catalyst

2/8/09 Petaluma, CA Mystic Theatre

2/9/09 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

2/10/09 Arcata, CA John Van Duzer

2/11/09 Grants Pass, OR Rogue Theatre

2/12/09 Eugene, OR Jaqua Concert Hall at The Shedd

2/13/09 Portland, OR Roseland Theatre

2/14/09 Seattle, WA Showbox at The Market

2/16/09 Olympia, WA Capital Theater