WILCO - 10/18/09 UIC Pavillion, Chicago Night #1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tamala, I like that I can just see the "ive" of your Bon Iver shirt.

If I wait long enough to post in show threads, I can just concur with other people's posts! I had a great time at this show. I loved hearing "Just a Kid" and "Simple," of course, but more than any particular setlist choices, I loved the energized atmosphere. Say what you will about the UIC Pavilion, but there's a certain quality of excitement that just isn't present in a small club or a theater. I enjoyed seeing the arena rock side of Wilco for a change.

But what is, really? You'll be happy to know it made it back "home" safely, though it might have to remain in Chicago for the time being. :pirate

I think its heart will always be in Chicago anyway.

That's a better shot than the one that ran in the print edition. And I'm not just saying that because my eye made it in. :ninja

Great. Can't wait to see that. :rolleyes

Too bad you didn't yet have your "guitar" on Sunday night or that clearly would have been the centerpiece of any photo.

Tamala, I like that I can just see the "ive" of your Bon Iver shirt.

HA. Yeah, no free marketing from me, Bon Iver!

Did anybody else think Pat absolutley killed it. He was all over the stage, tight as a drum and even threw in a "Townsend-esque" windmill or two. Their always tight(except for Nels) but I thought Pat was really on his game especially on the Being There stuff. Wonder how old he was and what he was listening to when that came out. All that being said they could put Glenn in the front of the stage under a spotlight and captivate for thousands for hours. Thought the crowd was pretty lame, never seen people give up on an encore that easy, I'm sure the UIC staff appreciated it.

I just want to say I had a great time at the Sunday night show. I went to the Friday show in Ann Arbor as well, but I can say for sure that Sunday was definitely a better show (energy, crowd, songs). I was sad to miss the Monday show (stupid college classes, who needs 'em). Hopefully we'll see some familiar faces in East Lansing next year (and hopefully they play Via Chicago and Spiders).

I'd like to say thanks to Rob (allgodsmoney) and his wife, the English teacher who's name escapes me, for making our evening really enjoyable. Rob was nice enough to let my girlfriend swap spots with him so she could see better (he is much taller than her). Also, seriously, you two, pick up some more Sherman Alexie books. Also it was nice to meet Ben (who's probably lurking this forum) and his girlfriend in line and then get to rock out at the show with them. Its fun meeting cool Wilco fans even if they don't like the same hockey teams as you.

Sunday was my first time seeing Wilco live in over 7 years and I'm glad I was able to make it to the show. When I first saw them I was just getting into Wilco and there were a couple times during the show I felt a little left out as it seemed as though EVERYONE but me know the words. Since then I've absorbed everything Wilco I can and have become extremely familiar with the songs. Just a couple quick comments.

• Glenn has to be seen live to be fully appreciated. That guy was awesome. I had a blast watching him on Heavy Metal Drummer.
  • Ditto for Nels and Pat. The dueling guitars on Hoodoo Voodoo was pretty sweet.
  • I need to make sure it's not 7 years before I get to go to another show cause that was awesome.

I'd like to say thanks to Rob (allgodsmoney) and his wife, the English teacher who's name escapes me, for making our evening really enjoyable. Rob was nice enough to let my girlfriend swap spots with him so she could see better (he is much taller than her). Also, seriously, you two, pick up some more Sherman Alexie books.

It was nice meeting you, too. (It's Tamala, btw. :)) Enjoy your upcoming Sherman Alexie "event," and I will certainly add more of his books to my To Read list. I wish I could say I'll be seeing you in Lansing, but school-year Sunday night shows multiple states away don't work out particularly well. :ohwell Enjoy!

just for clarification:

wilco did play at lollapalooza as a complete ensemble on august 2nd of 2008

unless that was a dream...

Cool.

I haven't listened to In Rainbows in forever! I'll have to rememdy that :D

Welcome to Via Chicago!

FYI...I'm posting links to the Youtube videos from the show in setlist order on my site:

http://www.ChicagoConcertgoers.com

Go to the site, click the message board and enter the Concert Reviews section. I'll be adding links to videos as they're posted.

While you're at my site, be sure to vote for your favorite Wilco album on the home page.

A little off topic here...but this list by Jon Dee Graham is a hoot:

Awkward moments in my musical life:

1. Realizing mid-song that my fly was down when I played the Letterman show in John Doe's band.

2. Discovering that the beautiful French woman, who had been telling me for over an hour I was a genius and that Americans could never appreciate my brilliance, had actually mistaken me for Boxcar Willie.

3. Eating breakfast next to Tom Waits at the counter of the old Tropicana Motel in 1985. He put so much ketchup on his eggs and Potatoes O'Brian that you could no longer even see the food on the plate, and for some reason it forever diminished "The Mystique" for me. I dunno. It's hard to explain. I mean, he's still a genius and all, yet somehow the whole thing...I dunno. Let's move on.

4. Being asked to leave the listening party for The Replacements' Pleased To Meet Me for being "too drunk and making a scene." Now, while I confess I don't remember exactly what transpired, it just seems like...I mean, c'mon, it's THE REPLACEMENTS for chrissakes. Define "too drunk" to me in the context of a Replacements party...Is such a thing even physically POSSIBLE?!?

5. While recording with Toni Price at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio, I mistook Willie for the maintenance guy and told him that the handle on the hallway toilet kept sticking and you had to jiggle it or else it would just keep running...I told him he oughta take a look at it, it's an easy thing to fix. It was dark, it was late, I was tired and he was wearing coveralls and a gimme cap...You can see how that could happen. He said, "I'll git right on that," and sorta ambled away. That was pretty awkward.

They sounded good, but they've never really grabbed me musically and last night I kind of felt the same way.

Jeff dedicated Just a Kid to the "kids in Tortoise... those up-and-comers" which was pretty funny given they are widely regarded as a seminal band.

Really?

Really??