UIC Night 2

Last night myself and a girl friend of mine went to see Wilco at the UIC pavilion. We had GA tix and got there towards the end of Tortoise's opening set. She really wanted to get close so we began to make our way up to the front. At that point there were not too many people on the floor yet so it was very easy to get up toward the stage. when we made it to about the 3rd row, we received dirty looks from everyone around us. As soon as Tortoise was done, someone said to us, "Are you two gonna leave now?" from there we were surrounded by about 10 angry Wilco fans who had all apparently been waiting outside the arena since 11 am. When i told them that they were crazy for waiting outside an arena for 8 hours for a non-sold out show, they began insulting us with extremely vulgar comments. for example, they said we were completely rude, total buzz kills, and had poor concert etiquette. And the dude who was yelling at my friend was holding a pair of ear plugs. Personally i do get a little annoyed when im at a show and people are constantly pushing their way through the crowd to get up to the front, but I want to emphasize that that wasnt the case last night. there was plenty of room for people to fill in, but these people just couldn't handle the fact that we had gotten just as close as them without waiting outside all day. Eventually we moved to a different spot because there were at least 20 people yelling at us telling us to leave. I have never experienced anything like that at a show.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just because there is a small space to fit into doesn't mean it is okay. That is just my opinion but we had the same problem in Dallas. It is nice to not be smashed together and that doesn't start to happen until people like you decide you can worm your way to the front even though people waited in line all day. Sorry if this comes off as rude, again it is just my opinion but I think I have to side with the guys and gals yelling at you even if they might have gone about it in a better way.

Just because there is a small space to fit into doesn't mean it is okay. That is just my opinion but we had the same problem in Dallas. It is nice to not be smashed together and that doesn't start to happen until people like you decide you can worm your way to the front even though people waited in line all day. Sorry if this comes off as rude, again it is just my opinion but I think I have to side with the guys and gals yelling at you even if they might have gone about it in a better way.

yeah but it's a general admission rock show. you're gonna bump elbows with people. That wasn't even my only problem with the fans last night. During the show one woman asked my friend if she could please stop dancing because she was obstructing her view. come on, thats ridiculous. I understand people getting upset if we were actually getting in their way, but we weren't. there was plenty of room.

Guest Speed Racer

Welcome to VC, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience last night.

When i told them that they were crazy for waiting outside an arena for 8 hours for a non-sold out show, they began insulting us with extremely vulgar comments.

No offense meant, but how did you think that comment was going to make the situation better?

there was plenty of room for people to fill in, but these people just couldn't handle the fact that we had gotten just as close as them without waiting outside all day.

If you were that noticeable in a crowd that was that rude to you, I have to think there's another side to the story.

Some other VC threads on concert etiquette, if you want some experiences from other people:

Concert Etiquette

Rudeness at Wilco Shows

The first one also contains a link to another, hilarious discussion on women at Wilco shows.

of course theres another side to the story, but bottom line is 2 people are not going to ruin the concert experience for everyone else by walking to the front during the opening act. once they initially asked us to move, we did. we backed up about 2 rows and the same people, who were now in front of us, continued to yell at us. I love wilco, their music is great, but the fans are way too uptight. Its a rock concert, not a golf outing. The concept of etiquette is insane and for a 40 year old man with earplugs to tell a young 21 year old girl to "get the fuck out of here" was completely out of line.

Guest Speed Racer

The concept of etiquette is insane and for a 40 year old man with earplugs to tell a young 21 year old girl to "get the fuck out of here" was completely out of line.

I'm still not sure what earplugs have to do with it except that you were dealing with someone who was mindful of his physical well-being.

As one of "those people" who does wait in line for hours (mainly because of the place I get, but also because it's fun), I can tell you it is annoying to have someone who basically shows up at the last minute (as you did) to get in front of me because he/she perceives that there is space there, and therefore have the right to fill it. I think most people who wait in line to assure a good place feel the same way.

I am also borderline claustrophobic and having people too close is a problem for me. Not enough of one to prevent me from dealing with GA, but enough of one to try to reserve some breathing room.

You would be surprised how two people can almost ruin an experience. There were two different couples at the Dallas show who almost made my wife and I move towards the back away from the crowd. I feel if you are willing to waste a day and stand in line you deserve a good spot. I am tired of the "cute girl" or drunk couple pushing their way through the crowd and stopping right in front of me. Yes there might be a very small space in front of me but I would like that space to breathe a little. I know people are going to be dancing and having fun. The occasional bump doesn't bother me. I am a little surprised how vulgar some of the comments were to you, but again I have to side with the people who were there early.

as long as you weren't pushing your way up to the front, which it sounds like you weren't doing, then I think you're perfectly in your right to do it. The fact that someone waited 8 hours for a 1/2 full show is not your problem, it's theirs. Sounds to me like some frustrated people just taking their anger out on you. which is lame.

Guest Speed Racer

Sounds to me like some frustrated people just taking their anger out on you. which is lame.

If I were asking someone to give me some personal space and they started telling me I was crazy, I might become a little angry too. In his OP Lance says he dislikes when other people do it, but says everything was totally fine when he did it. I have to think the crowd's reactions were due to circumstances beyond his perception that he and his girlfriend were in a vast empty space near the front.

GA means elbow to elbow in small venues..but this venue was roomey. I hung back by the sound board because I got there late...& never busted myself closer to the front, that's way rude. Most shows I get there when the doors open and earn a spot. I always get a jist eye's view of who gets in at what time & who their friend's are, that way I don't take their spot when they leave for the b-room or ale run, not moving my tooshie into open pockets unless people leave....like the non-Wilco fan that leaves right before an encore.

With that said, it sounds like there was still lots of room for you and your g-friend & that you were not being rude. Sounds like some people were just jerks. There is NO such thing as a #1 Wilco fan & you're fooling yourself if you think you are more of a fan because you stand in line for 4 hours to get a good spot...but respect the 1st few rows because those fans most likely got there 1st. Sometimes I'm in row 1 sometimes row 20...but I do understand how it feels to have some jerk get there late and try & knock you out of your space. Number 1 reason I always eat a burrito before the show. I can clear a space out fastyucky.gif

There were a few weirdos last night who wormed their way to the front. One was a 50-something year old drunk lady in pink who felt like walking from the far right edge to the far left edge of the stage, touching everyone along the way. God knows why or what she was doing. Another drunk lady was screaming for "Lincoln Avenue" songs on the right end of the stage. :hmm

I also would like to add that Drunk Pink (as I fondly nickname her) had to pick the most devastating, gutwrenching moment of Poor Places to caress / scratch my lower back with her nails as a way of getting me to turn around so she could sneak past me. Any other moment, I probably would have let her past but not during goddamn Poor Places.

If I were asking someone to give me some personal space and they started telling me I was crazy, I might become a little angry too. In his OP Lance says he dislikes when other people do it, but says everything was totally fine when he did it. I have to think the crowd's reactions were due to circumstances beyond his perception that he and his girlfriend were in a vast empty space near the front.

What i said said was I dont like when people push their way to the front. last night we simply walked through the crowd and settled in a spot where no one was standing. Yes it was close quarters but what do you expect at a GA show? by no means did we impose on anyone's personal space. And I'm sorry but just because one VCer decides to post a list of concert etiquette rules (which is totally lame btw) doesnt mean I care if some people decided to wait outside for 8 hours. I wasnt trying to be disrespectful last night, and I am not now. But in a crowded room full of concert-goers, its gonna be crowded regardless, thats why everyone had the option to buy seats.

What i said said was I dont like when people push their way to the front. last night we simply walked through the crowd and settled in a spot where no one was standing. Yes it was close quarters but what do you expect at a GA show? by no means did we impose on anyone's personal space. And I'm sorry but just because one VCer decides to post a list of concert etiquette rules (which is totally lame btw) doesnt mean I care if some people decided to wait outside for 8 hours. I wasnt trying to be disrespectful last night, and I am not now. But in a crowded room full of concert-goers, its gonna be crowded regardless, thats why everyone had the option to buy seats.

get there earlier next time and you won't have a problem.

Guest Speed Racer

just because one VCer decides to post a list of concert etiquette rules (which is totally lame btw)

Some other VC threads on concert etiquette, if you want some experiences from other people:

That was a discussion, as you could plainly see by reading the thread, and my post - not a hard and fast list of rules.

I'm coming from the position that, in questionable situations like yours last night, people who say they did nothing to provoke or incite an altercation usually have a larger hand in it than they claim. I don't doubt those people were being belligerent, but you also say you called them crazy.

right on...nobody owns a spot @ a show unless their ass is parked there @ all times. Doesn't sound as though you were an ass so I wouldn't worry about it.

The proper is etiquette is the slow sneak. Slowly moving up closer and closer until you are finally playing the drums.

It was a weird crown last night. I was about 30 rows back until the first encore break and then moved to the back to hear the sound and it was pretty good back there. Actually an older, more appreciative crowd in the back genuinely excited by the last two songs... had a few very nice young college-aged folks near me asking me about Far Far Away and Nothingsever... it was nice but man all of a suddent I am an old man at rock shows, Oof

The proper is etiquette is the slow sneak. Slowly moving up closer and closer until you are finally playing the drums.

:lol

Thats right, you weren't sneaky enough.

I too get annoyed when people stand in my space, but it's a general admission concert.. It's part of the deal. Your always going to have people trying to get the best view and instead of bitching about it, enjoy the freakin concert.

I was standing a ways back, but I could see that there were big pockets of space all over the floor, both nights. It was really odd. There were times when you could see people leave, and I mean a whole group would put on their coats, pack up and go, and no one would move up into their spots. :dontgetit It was not a crowded floor by any means.

I arrived at the end of Tortoise and though I think I probably could have moved a little closer to the stage, I don't think I could or would have edged into the third row without at least feeling a little awkward about it. That's a little pushy.

And that said, I think you can and should expect the scene to be a little more crowded up front. Early arrival doesn't entitle you to extra space...you want space, there's plenty of room in the back :lol