UIC Night 2

I would also like to point out that the question in the thread's subtitle has not been answered. What IS wrong with Wilco fans? :hmm

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point of general admission shows, for me at least, is getting there early to get a good spot. I think the people were right in being ticked at you for getting in their space, when you obviously hadn't been there as long. it's a respect thing... the 2 times i saw wilco in a GA setting (over 2 years ago), in CA, me and my friend went in right after doors open, and there was space in the 2nd row, where no one was standing, so we stood there. pushing through a crowd who has obviously been there longer than you is disrespectful. always. the end.

I'm not sure what his age has to do with it either.

Me either...I have faced down teens in my time....

get there earlier next time and you won't have a problem.

for sure...

So are you daft? Have trouble with social cues? Or like a teenager or what?

Must be...

Is this the place to remind someone for the umpteenth time that shows didn't used to be like this. They are now because promoters and bands (not Wilco specifically) want to make the most off their performances. Up until a couple decades ago seats in clubs and concert halls were the rule. You were seated and you didn't move. Get there early (or pay whomever was seating you) and you got a better seat. This applied even to shows there you sat on the floor (Amazingrace in Evanston). Even GA shows had seats.

The nice thing about these shows was the mix of seating and non-seating so those not wanting to get there early or hassle it could sit. Even those who showed up pretty late got fairly close with no hassle, but they couldn't get the front row. No matter what age people are, they need to learn some manners and some personal space issues. If you are nice to folks around you the chances are better they will cooperate and let you get close later in the show (I have done this before). Act like assholes and you are bound to get frozen out.

The reason the area in front of the stage is sometimes called the dance floor is because in the old days there was a place for people to dance in front of the tables. You danced and then you went back to your seat. As some forms of music became more listening than dancing, people did move forward to watch the musicians rather than dance (see pics of Benny Goodman or Bob Wills shows, I wasn't there...), so maybe in those days of yor, people got into these hassles too, but then again maybe not.

This discussion will continue for as long as people feel they are entitled to stand whereever they can at whatever time they want and security really doesn't care if people get trampled or not.

LouieB

Can we change the subject for a moment to something more positive??

These shows brought a number of fans to Chicago for the first (or maybe repeat) time. If you have new suggestions on places to stay, eat, drink, expore, etc., please post it in the thread I started a few years back. Folks were telling me about restaurants and places to stay that have not been mentioned before. (For example bbop mentioned a great breakfast place on Taylor St and I have already forgotten the name..!!)

Thanks.

LouieB

"can you see the real me..???"

I also would like to add that Drunk Pink (as I fondly nickname her) had to pick the most devastating, gutwrenching moment of Poor Places to caress / scratch my lower back with her nails as a way of getting me to turn around so she could sneak past me. Any other moment, I probably would have let her past but not during goddamn Poor Places.

Yeah that was kinda weird... she just kinda walked through. She gave me an inappropriate touch too ( I kind of enjoyed it though). That was funny. I too wish it hadn't been during Poor Places, what a great song.

As far as the going up to the front thing is concerned for many of us who were in line early, we have become friends. Those that come as early as us are soon to become our friends. So, if you want to be super friendly, come early. Share some food, drink, stories with those around you.

One of the things that pisses me off when people push forward is they disconnect us (the people we've been enjoying company with for the last 8 hours, or 2 days, or a whole North American tour) from each other and we haven't developed a relationship with you yet.

In addition, I don't appreciate the insinuation that the early people are crazy. These are people that have made a conscious choice to take vacation time, make travel plans, get baby sitters, and invest their time doing something they love to do (a large part of which is hanging out with the other early people). Some of us even prepare ourselves physically by not eating or drinking around 2 hours prior to the show, so that we don't have to leave our spots to use the restroom. It's an investment of time, money, and comfort. If you are not willing to make that kind of investment, or do not wish to be friendly, stay in the back.

I do, however, encourage you to come early, eat, drink and hang out with the "crazies." I would love to meet you and your girlfriend. We are all friendly, and it is, after all, rock and roll!

BTW I was one person in front of the said incident. They did get crazy on you. The could have dispensed with the profanity and threats of violence, and had that escalated I would have stepped in. I would have been much more polite. I probably would have just looked at your face and said "nope."

Ok

dropping the subject

(sorry Lou).

Awesome show though! Great set list!

jmboston.jpg

Guest Speed Racer

In addition, I don't appreciate the insinuation that the early people are crazy. These are people that have made a conscious choice to take vacation time, make travel plans, get baby sitters, and invest their time doing something they love to do (a large part of which is hanging out with the other early people). Some of us even prepare ourselves physically by not eating or drinking around 2 hours prior to the show, so that we don't have to leave our spots to use the restroom. It's an investment of time, money, and comfort. If you are not willing to make that kind of investment, or do not wish to be friendly, stay in the back.

I totally get your position, I completely understand your devotion, but that paragraph did not help your case. :lol

I do, however, encourage you to come early, eat, drink and hang out with the "crazies." I would love to meet you and your girlfriend. We are all friendly, and it is, after all, rock and roll!

I like the fellowship angle you describe, and that's an interesting take on splitting up friends. While some of that does seem a little territorial ("don't mess with our 30-person private party in the GA section"), it reaffirms the space issues at hand. People who get there first should be able to stand with their friends and should have a reasonable expectation that their effort should be respected.

Also nice to get another take on the incident. I'm surprised it took so long for someone who was there to post.

Can we change the subject for a moment to something more positive??

These shows brought a number of fans to Chicago for the first (or maybe repeat) time. If you have new suggestions on places to stay, eat, drink, expore, etc., please post it in the thread I started a few years back. Folks were telling me about restaurants and places to stay that have not been mentioned before. (For example bbop mentioned a great breakfast place on Taylor St and I have already forgotten the name..!!)

Thanks.

LouieB

"can you see the real me..???"

my first time in Chicagomusic.gif ....just for Wilco. I didn't eat, drink, sleep, or go potty for 3 days. I didn't wanna miss anything.

I totally get your position, I completely understand your devotion, but that paragraph did not help your case. :lol

Ok, maybe a little crazy. (is that like a little pregnant?) But if people didn't have intense past times, we'd all be millionaires! What kind of crazy world would that be?

I really do love hanging out with so many good nature folk that we have so much in common with, and it sure was some beautiful weather.

The added benefit of getting to the venue a bit early (not even 8 hours necessarily... more like 3 for me) was getting to hear Pot Kettle Black through an open door during sound check on Sunday. :wub

Several years ago (9:30 club in DC) when me and a friend showed up early, the band was even nice enough to let a bunch of people in to see the entire soundcheck, and the band played She's a Jar, Via Chicago, Just a Kid before it was even released and several other songs. It was an incredibly cool experience, and it never would have happened had we not been off our anti-psychotic meds that day and shown up early.

The added benefit of getting to the venue a bit early (not even 8 hours necessarily... more like 3 for me) was getting to hear Pot Kettle Black through an open door during sound check on Sunday. :wub

Several years ago (9:30 club in DC) when me and a friend showed up early, the band was even nice enough to let a bunch of people in to see the entire soundcheck, and the band played She's a Jar, Via Chicago, Just a Kid before it was even released and several other songs. It was an incredibly cool experience, and it never would have happened had we not been off our anti-psychotic meds that day and shown up early.

Cool!

my first time in Chicagomusic.gif ....just for Wilco. I didn't eat, drink, sleep, or go potty for 3 days. I didn't wanna miss anything.

What did you think?

Where are you from?

Isn't Chicago a beautiful city?

Guest Speed Racer

Ok, maybe a little crazy. (is that like a little pregnant?) But if people didn't have intense past times, we'd all be millionaires! What kind of crazy world would that be?

I really do love hanging out with so many good nature folk that we have so much in common with, and it sure was some beautiful weather.

I'm as crazy as they come, but I've never waited outside before a show. Everyone has their thing, you're right. Aside from stomach ailments, torn muscles and foil blankets, waiting for a show is not unlike competing in a marathon. Although in Illinois, it is probably best analogized to waiting at the DMV. :lol

Although in Illinois, it is probably best analogized to waiting at the DMV. :lol

Do you drink Makers at the DMV? :yes

(For example bbop mentioned a great breakfast place on Taylor St and I have already forgotten the name..!!)

Hey Lou, the place I loved was Sweet Maple Cafe on Taylor, just past your place, Bar Louie. Maybe you can transpose it to that Chicago thread for me. :thumbup

It is difficult to compare a Phish show/crowd to Wilco.

Different drug type and intake amount

Many more people

Different idea of how to appreciate the band

Extended jam = the hippie dance

What we have here are different norms. VC attempts to define norms and non-VCers are oblivious since they aren't in on the communication.

Maybe instead of GA and assigned seats Wilco should have separate seating for VC members and non-VC members?

Hey Lou, the place I loved was Sweet Maple Cafe on Taylor. :thumbup

I concur!

Did you also happen to see the podiatrist office down the block and across the street? Dr. Frank Zappa!

Wow some of you peeps that wait all hours of the day for a front and center spot really think you own the space for waiting? It's general admission, you don't own jack. Buy a reserved seat if you want that. It's no wonder Jeff calls you guys out during most shows in Chicago..."it's the same people all over again." Hey different strokes for different folks and more power to you if you want to wait all day, but I'm sure the fellas wouldn't appreciate what went down the other night either. If somebody is intruding on your space or being a complete ass it's one thing, grab a security guard. Either way, no concert-goer has the right to boss people around and tell them where to go in a GA setting with plenty of space.

Maybe instead of GA and assigned seats Wilco should have separate seating for VC members and non-VC members?

yeah Segregation is always the answer.....sorry i want no part of elitism.

I forgot to add the sarcastic smiley thing. I agree with your statement.

Either way, no concert-goer has the right to boss people around and tell them where to go in a GA setting with plenty of space.

See, here's what I don't get - if there's plenty of space, why did the OP and his girlfriend need to be so close to the front?

Generally speaking, people claim a physical spot when the doors open and generally stay there, and this is a good thing. Imagine if EVERYONE felt they had the right to cut ahead towards the front, how much of a mess that would be. There are unwritten rules that sort of maintain order during a show, and one of those rules is everyone gets a spot to watch the show from and that is generally a static thing that doesn't change from set to set or song to song. If you were to throw that rule out the window, chaos and shoving matches would ensue.

It was a really good show! I was at the last 2 St. Louis shows, and it occurred to me that they really give it (not that they really ever hold back) on there last show of a tour. Those shows seem very memorable to me.

A Sprint to the finish?

If you were to throw that rule out the window, chaos and shoving matches would ensue.

I think what you are talking about is common courtesy. Me? I'm for the shoving match! :thumbup

See, here's what I don't get - if there's plenty of space, why did the OP and his girlfriend need to be so close to the front?

But...if there's plenty of space, why can't the OP and his girlfriend be close to the front?

If this was one of those things where there's ten inches of space in front of you and someone squeezes into it, blocking your view and drunkenly stepping on your toes and elbowing you in the gut while doing so...well, that's one thing. But it doesn't sound like that was necessarily the case here.

I'm not down for the territorialism. The benefits are negligible.