UIC Night 2

Guest Speed Racer

What I'm wondering is, if there was so much space, why didn't they move to an equally-close space with fewer people hollering at them? There was either enough space to accomodate them somewhere, in which case they could have moved a bit, OR there wasn't enough space. Accounts seem to indicate there was enough space for them to relocate and still be near the front.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I really think about it, I'm totally down with the shoving. Unless the Black hawks show up.

I have to admit, a little shoving can be fun at a GA show every now and then. At the Sunday night show, however, I had a ton of space behind me and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't squished against the rail the whole show. :rock

What I'm wondering is, if there was so much space, why didn't they move to an equally-close space with fewer people hollering at them? There was either enough space to accomodate them somewhere, in which case they could have moved a bit, OR there wasn't enough space. Accounts seem to indicate there was enough space for them to relocate and still be near the front.

Let's go to the tape.

I like the idea that I can go early to the venue and hang out with friends old and new. I love the people who wait hours for the show to begin. It gives me a sense of belonging and kinship. Maybe that was what people were frustrated about. They didn't feel like they belonged because they didn't want to spend the time to get to know all of the cool people who LOVE Wilco. Why not take the opportunity to get to know some really cool people. That's what makes life so much fun!!! :rock

Let's go to the tape.

Let's do!

Not sure if you wound up watching/working the entire second show "from above," Johnny, but I couldn't help thinking when I spotted you up there with that tripod that you were lining some of us up in the crosshairs! :lol

I shot time lapse stuff of the whole arena till about Wilco's third song, then slowly panned to the stage, and eventually couldn't take standing under the big AC vent for the whole arena anymore and came back downstairs. I think Richie got some really good images at these shows.

:w00t

Guest Speed Racer

I'm guessing this guy was obviously doing something wrong like singing along or being tall

Name-calling. It wasn't covered in our original list of rules to adhere to, but I'm sure we can convene to vote in the amendment.

Let's do!

:w00t

BWAHAHAHA, Wendy! That's awesome.

"As you can see at 00:32, after being hollered at by the third row folks, the OP moves back...and to the left. Back...and to the left."

To request personal space at the foot of a stage in a general admission rock concert is absurd. I was in about the third row and probably made incidental contact with everyone around me as they did with me and nobody was pissed. Its general admission, not if you get there before everyone else they have to stand behind you. Sounds like its time for some people to buy a "seat". Sorry if I offend but "floors" of rock concerts get hot and crowded.

BWAHAHAHA, Wendy! That's awesome.

"As you can see at 00:32, after being hollered at by the third row folks, the OP moves back...and to the left. Back...and to the left."

And if there was still some doubt about who was at fault, we could run it in slo-mo or even freeze-frame..."See? Right there! He takes a slight step to the right and his elbow bumps her beer and spills it on her foot!"

We'd need somebody to draw on circled bits and arrows. Wendy, you do circled bits, Tangara, you're in charge of little arrows. :thumbup

Guest Speed Racer

We'd need somebody to draw on circled bits and arrows. Wendy, you do circled bits, Tangara, you're in charge of little arrows. :thumbup

Donna will announce, and then we will transition to a split-screen of angry talking-heads on both sides of the issue.

Don't forget: "Oh wow, who's that woman in pink, in the corner of the shot, running her nails - good god! She just credit-carded that man during Poor Places!"

Also, what is a "seat"?

its time for some people to buy a "seat".

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Should concerts have a penalty box? :)

A Brute squad

To request personal space at the foot of a stage in a general admission rock concert is absurd. I was in about the third row and probably made incidental contact with everyone around me as they did with me and nobody was pissed. Its general admission, not if you get there before everyone else they have to stand behind you. Sounds like its time for some people to buy a "seat". Sorry if I offend but "floors" of rock concerts get hot and crowded.

Agreed. It's preposterous to demand personal space along with exclusive territorial rights to a section of floor space at a general admission concert - no matter how big a fan you are of the performers.

Wow. I'm really surprised at how this argument is being made. Look, it's fine if people like being up front enough that they are willing to wait in line a long time, often enjoying that experience and sharing it with friends. You don't have to feel the same. But then if those people wind up in front in a "first come, first served" sort of situation, which GA is, by definition, it is rude of others to crowd in until people are smashed. I'm all for everybody getting a good view and having a good time, but have respect for other peoples' personal space. If you wouldn't crowd in like that in another public setting (an elevator, a shopping mall, watching a street performer, watching a public flogging, whatever...you choose) then what makes it ok to do so at a concert?

And if you would, and do, crowd others frequently in public settings, you may have selfishness and insensitivity issues and should probably examine your behavior some. No need to "get yours" at someone else's expense.

I agree, Donna. I've never been at a show where anyone was expecting a 6-foot radius of personal space, but I've been at plenty of shows where people are trying to squeeze into a space that really isn't a space at all, and that can become a totally crazy situation.

And on this issue:

Yeah, I expect to be touched (not in that way, though!) and bumped into at a concert. Obviously you and the people around you were acting like sensible people act at concerts. But the fact that the OP claims that he was acting perfectly normal, and everyone around him started busting on him for no good reason, makes me kind of suspect that maybe he wasn't being quite as cordial as he thought he was.

Donna will announce, and then we will transition to a split-screen of angry talking-heads on both sides of the issue.

Don't forget: "Oh wow, who's that woman in pink, in the corner of the shot, running her nails - good god! She just credit-carded that man during Poor Places!"

Also, what is a "seat"?

The American Heritage Dictionary calls a seat "Something that may be sat on, as a chair" I call it the fifth category on your ticket telling you where to "stand". Gate, Section,Aisle,Row,"Seat". For the record this dictionary copyrights July 1989 so things may have changed.

So, how about that show, huh, guys? :ninja

I'd love to see any pictures that anyone might have. I know there were lots of cameras going off in my vicinity.

Guest Speed Racer

The American Heritage Dictionary calls a seat "Something that may be sat on, as a chair" I call it the fifth category on your ticket telling you where to "stand". Gate, Section,Aisle,Row,"Seat". For the record this dictionary copyrights July 1989 so things may have changed.

"Okay."

Guest Speed Racer

But the fact that the OP claims that he was acting perfectly normal, and everyone around him started busting on him for no good reason, makes me kind of suspect that maybe he wasn't being quite as cordial as he thought he was.

Exactly.