UIC Night 2

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From where I was (about four rows back from Nels), the crowd was kinda strange. A few drunk couples doing the open-palmed testify during every song, one dude who kept telling everyone "peace bro," a small woman who kept using my shoulder to try and boost herself above me in order to see, and finally, after I moved aside to let her in front of me, some jackass who grabbed me by the neck and asked me if I was going to let everyone shorter than me in front of me. Seriously, fuck that kid, but the show was still great. We had some fun at the expense of the drunks too. It's all in how you handle it.

this thread is still going!!? :rotfl

Exactly. Thereby, in my opinion, providing evidence of your main point.

He had a point? Just from a debate standpoint, all of the arguments in agreement with the op have had to resort to hyperbole. Fail.

Fail. Cool, you used trendy techno-speak! My opinion is that his main point, that something is wrong with some Wilco fans, is evidenced by this still being debated. It's general admission. Whether it is right or wrong that people crowd, ignore GA rules, etc. is irrelevant. People will be people. Do I particularly like it? No but I choose to cope. If you are in general admission, the truth is that you must deal with the realities or get angry. If you can't deal, then go to the back or get a reserved seat. Just as some people may be too sensitive for the internet, some people may be too sensitive for general admission.

Guest Speed Racer

something is wrong with some people

Fixed it for you.

My personal opinion is that folks who flip at Wilco shows are the same folks who cut you off in traffic, are rude at movies, unhelpful at grocery stores and rude to cyclists. Generally speaking, people with a rude disposition and anger streak make that pretty known in all parts of their life. That is, assholes are assholes, Wilco be damned.

You're right - some people can't handle GA shows; they needlessly crowd people, are unnecessarily belligerent toward 40+ AARP members with earplugs (and at least 0-30 other angry people) and have no respect for basic concert ettique. It's not the goddamned wild west down there, it's possible to handle mass crowd situations maturely, and it sounds like the OP couldn't hack it.

As for, "WOAH, Wilco in 1997 would have KILLED you LOL!!!" People expect different things going into different shows, and the simple fact is that Wilco ca. 2009 is not Wilco ca. 1997. The band is different, the audience is different, and someone violently moshing at a 1997 GA show would likely be ejected at a 2009 show.

Fixed it for you.

My personal opinion is that folks who flip at Wilco shows are the same folks who cut you off in traffic, are rude at movies, unhelpful at grocery stores and rude to cyclists. Generally speaking, people with a rude disposition and anger streak make that pretty known in all parts of there life. That is, assholes are assholes, Wilco be damned.

You're right - some people can't handle GA shows; they needlessly crowd people, are unnecessarily belligerent toward 40+ AARP members with earplugs (and at least 0-30 other angry people) and have no respect for basic concert ettique. It's not the goddamned wild west down there, it's possible to handle mass crowd situations maturely, and it sounds like the OP couldn't hack it.

As for, "WOAH, Wilco in 1997 would have KILLED you LOL!!!" People expect different things going into different shows, and the simple fact is that Wilco ca. 2009 is not Wilco ca. 1997. The band is different, the audience is different, and someone violently moshing at a 1997 GA show would likely be ejected at a 2009 show.

Hey thanks for fixing it for me! You are correct that something is wrong with some people and as Wilco fans are people, there is something wrong with some Wilco fans.

Well done turning my logic on it's head with the rude crowder-types being the ones that can't handle GA except I said that some are too SENSITIVE for GA. So to sound 'with it', fail.

I stand by my point that if you can't handle some people/Wilco fans acting the way some folks act, then avoid general admission (and possibly leaving your home).

I stand by my point that if you can't handle some people/Wilco fans acting the way some folks act, then avoid general admission (and possibly leaving your home).

You tell 'em, brotha. If you can't stand the Wilcheat, stay out of the Wilkitchen!

Guest Speed Racer

Correct. :yes Once again, if some people can't handle Wilco fans who adhere to generally-understood GA policies, people who require a REASONABLE amount of personal space (that is, "there is room for all of us to be here without you touching me so, uh, please don't"), if they resort to name calling in the face of adversity and can't respect other people's differences, they likely shouldn't attend GA shows or leave their homes.

Every little thing

Every little thing

Every little thing

Is gonna tear you apart

cheers.gif

I saw you causing trouble sunday, dancing, laughing, singing, drinking beer....having a good time. Not allowed @ a Wilco show 2009 sonrealmad.gif Stand @ attention and shut yer mouth.

Were you w/ the boys in KS when that one dude told them not to dance?

I think the lesson to be learned here is Wilco should not play any more GA shows in Chi. This thread is embarrassing.

This thread isn't even a drop in the ocean of embarassment that is VC.

A reasonable amount of touching people is fine, pushing in front of them or running up their back is not.

Wow, six pages of people not being able to figure out what is rude and what is not. Amazing.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

Wow, six pages of people not being able to figure out what is rude and what is not. Amazing.

Advice columns have been around for nearly a century. Figuring out what is rude and what is not is an industry; six pages is nothing.

I'm shoving.

Advice columns have been around for nearly a century. Figuring out what is rude and what is not is an industr; six pages is nothing.

True indeed, but we have had threads about this before. If someone thinks that it is okay to push in front of everyone at a GA show, I suppose there is nothing that can disuade them. I understand that if people are just standing around and there is room at the front that people should feel comfortable sliding up front, but if people are pretty close together with little room separating them, it is really pretty rude to shove up to the front, but I have seen it happen lots of time.

Now if we want to talk about sex...yea, pages and pages are in order...

LouieB

Who was it started this whiny thread again?

Me. But the funny thing is Ive done the least amount of whining here. Since I started the thread 3 days ago Ive checked back a couple times to see that Wilco fans are still arguing over this. At least a few VCers like Party and Docshock have realistic views towards concert-going. And also I found it funny how tweedy actually called out the fans sitting in the front for being the same people there every night. Personally, if I had just waited 8 hours outside the arena only to be made fun of by the lead singer, I would reconsider how cool it actually is to be a die-hard Wilco fan.

Guest Speed Racer

I found it funny how tweedy actually called out the fans sitting in the front for being the same people there every night.

He's been doing that since, uh, 1995? 1994? And, oddly enough, a lot of the people in 2009 are the people from the '90s. He also sees a lot of them after the show and at the annual Living Room Shows. It's his thing.

Could this thread be any stupider? Let's see, to borrow a phrase from Craig Ferguson "What did we learn in the (thread) tonight, Craig?" :brow

Basically I think we learned that some people feel that getting rudely trampled, smashed, and otherwise personal-space-invaded (talking here about merely the space one's own body takes up, plus maybe an inch of air around it...too much?) is par for the course at a General Admission event. "To be expected". And that to expect people to behave in a way that wouldn't make their own mothers blanch at what a poor job they'd done civilizing their brats is to expect far too much in our modern world...clearly, the expectation of civilized behavior is the shrill whine of the hyper-sensitive. Uh huh, gotcha.

This thread has gone on long enough and isn't making any forward motion, so I'm closing it. Let's discuss the actual show, shall we?