15 most essential Psychedelic Albums

So my daughter is in a rock and roll history class in high school and they are currently learning about psychedelic music. What's funny is her homework has a list of the "15 most essential psychedelic albums" as if it's common knowledge or fact. This is the list:

1. Beatles - Sgt Pepper

2. Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

3. Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer

4. Byrds - Fifth Dimension

5. Doors - The Doors

6 Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane loves you

7. Pink Floyd - Piper at the gates of dawn

8. Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced

9. Great Society - Collector's item

10. Mothers of invention - We're only in it for the money

11. Rolling Stones - Sastanic Majesties

12. Donovan - Sunshine Superman

13. Cream - Disraeli Gears

14. Traffic - Mr. fantasy

15. The Misunderstood - Before the dream faded

Not a bad list but not sure where it came from. Any thoughts on what is missing that I can share with the teacher?

At least she is learning about the history of the Grateful Dead!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Jefferson Airplane album is an anthology. I would have went with After Bathing at Baxter's. I would have loved to have had a class like that.

Way back in the Styx days, I was in a music class where the teacher decided to punish the students one day. She handed out a quiz on The Beatles, and I believe only one or two people passed it.

I've been known to ask my jr. high students in their classic rock t-shirts to name members, songs, or albums of the artists on their shirts. It's amazing how little they know. Even w/ the Beatles revival, many kids IN Beatles shirts can't name more than 1 or 2.

I believe that Jefferson Airplane album is an anthology. I would have went with After Bathing at Baxter's. I would have loved to have had a class like that.

Way back in the Styx days, I was in a music class where the teacher decided to punish the students one day. She handed out a quiz on The Beatles, and I believe only one or two people passed it.

That's what I though, they never offered anything remotely like a rock and roll history class when I was in school. They spent about a week on the Beatles which was way too short but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

Surrealistic pillow would be the obvious choice but I agree, Baxter's would be the better choice.

What's depressing about the class to me is they don't actually listen to any music. They just talk about it.

That's what I though, they never offered anything remotely like a rock and roll history class when I was in school. They spent about a week on the Beatles which was way too short but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

Surrealistic pillow would be the obvious choice but I agree, Baxter's would be the better choice.

What's depressing about the class to me is they don't actually listen to any music. They just talk about it.

That's odd. How can the music be taught without hearing it? Although, there are probably things on those records that would get the teacher in trouble in this day and age.

I was in a creative writing class once where we were allowed to bring in records and play them. I brought in Master of Reality. That did not go over so well.

that list is ridiculous. I mean, there are some good choices, but...

No:

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

Possibly THE most-essential psych album. (IMO)

Also, why only touch on only English-language psych?

There are classics by Le Orme and Os Mutantes that really do merit inclusion here, if only as the token representatives of the international scope of the movement.

EDIT:

And Frank Zappa would be turning over in his grave at being lumped in with that psychedelic hippie music. Very anti- anything hippie (except the sex and love part), if I remember correctly.

No:

I was thinking the same thing. 13th floor elevators have to be on the list somewhere, so many bands tried to copy that Roky Erickson vocal style (and failed).

I am unfamiliar with the psychadelic genre, but I recently picked up the Zombies' Odessey & Oracle and it's not half bad.

It's amazing. But I don't really lump that album in with the psychedelic bunch; I think of it more as orchestral pop. But, whatever.

And, if you do, then what about:

Love - Forever Changes

?

The teacher probably got that list online somewhere. And, there of course, hundreds of examples she or he could use. But - there is always a list of well known and popular, so that is what people are going to use. Those albums can lead to other albums, if one is so inclined. Like everything else, there is a lot of junk to be found in the genre. That is, bands trying to cash-in on the Sgt. Pepper explosion, or become the next Jefferson Airplane. One of the audio blogs I look at is all about that sort of deal.

On 10/27/2009 at 10:24 PM, PopTodd said:

And Frank Zappa would be turning over in his grave at being lumped in with that psychedelic hippie music. Very anti- anything hippie (except the sex and love part), if I remember correctly.

You're mostly correct there. Uncle Frankie loathed the hippies, and was only into sex, not love ... in fact, his widow Gail once said, "Frank didn't do love." In an odd way, as libertarian as he was, he was very emotionally repressed. Fantastic talent, though.

When I was in grad school in the late 1980s I had a class about post-modern critical thinking and the counterculture. A lot of time was spent discussing - and in some cases listening to - rock & even punk. For my paper & presentation (on Zappa, of course), I brought in Freak Out! and unleashed this on my classmates:

It can't happen here

It can't happen here

I'm telling you, my dear

That it can't happen here

Because I been checkin' it out, baby

I checked it out a couple a times

But I'm telling you

It can't happen here

Oh darling, it's important that you believe me

(Bop bop bop bop)

That it can't happen here

Who could imagine that they would freak out somewhere

in Kansas . . .

(Kansas . . . Kansas . . . Kansas . . . Kansas . . . )

(Kansas, Kansas, do-do-dun to-to

Kansas, Kansas, la la la)

The whole place just fell out, including the professor. Awesome moment in my academic career. I got an "A."

No:

Possibly THE most-essential psych album. (IMO)

That was the first album I thought of when I saw this thread.

That's odd. How can the music be taught without hearing it? Although, there are probably things on those records that would get the teacher in trouble in this day and age.

I was in a creative writing class once where we were allowed to bring in records and play them. I brought in Master of Reality. That did not go over so well.

:lol That's good stuff right there.

Once in an Lit class I took we were supposed to recite an example of our favorite poetry. I recited "War Pigs". :rock

But...back to the topic at hand - any list that doesn't include QMS' "Happy Trails" is definitely flawed. I'm a GD nutcase but that LP is THE best example of the "San Francisco Sound". Acid Rock, baby.

I think that Strange Days is a bit more psychedilicized than The Doors. I guess the reason their s/t gets more interest is due to the fact that it was released in Jan. 1967, therefore being present during the Summer of Love while Strange Days was not released until the end of that year. Light My Fire also hit #1 that summer which kind of cemented that album's place in acid rock history.

It's amazing. But I don't really lump that album in with the psychedelic bunch; I think of it more as orchestral pop. But, whatever.

And, if you do, then what about:

Love - Forever Changes

?

Forever Changes should def. be on that list. in fact, I need to try and track down this sucker on vinyl.

I think that Strange Days is a bit more psychedilicized than The Doors. I guess the reason their s/t gets more interest is due to the fact that it was released in Jan. 1967, therefore being present during the Summer of Love while Strange Days was not released until the end of that year. Light My Fire also hit #1 that summer which kind of cemented that album's place in acid rock history.

That is true. I think that may be the first time I heard the term psychedelic rock - when I got into The Doors in 1979 or so.

Oddly enough, I never cared for the term though. I'll use the term metal or alt-country, but I never liked using psychedelic rock to describe something. For example, Cream were to me a British Blues Band, who after Jimi came along, decided to crank things up a notch.

I always find it interesting that by 1968-1969, a lot of that sort of music was on its way out. I think Keith Richards said something like "no more bells and funny pants". And of course, The Band came along. But, that is another chapter indeed.

Agree about Forever Changes as an essential. Same for West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Ok, I was never a big acid head (born too late), but I think some consideration should be given to other highly influential psych albums -- offhand, you need SOME Bob Dylan, he was using LSD before almost any musician (Blonde On Blonde probably my pick), Buffalo Springfield, The Who (Tommy), Velvet Underground (Loaded?), David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust), maybe Flying Burrito Brothers. Fast forward to "my" era and you at least need Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

I'm sure there are many more, need more coffee and running late to my shrink appt...

I don't think I have ever heard those albums described as "psychedelic rock" before.

Wikipedia gives a good description.

The musical style typically features:

* electric guitars -- 12-strings being preferred for their 'jangle';

* elaborate studio effects, such as backwards taping, panning (sound placement in the stereo field), phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb;

* exotic instrumentation, with a particular fondness for the sitar and tabla;

* a strong keyboard presence, especially Hammond, Farfisa, and Vox Organs, the Rhodes electric piano, Harpsichords, and the Mellotron (an early tape-driven 'sampler');

* a strong emphasis on extended instrumental solos; and/or

* modal melodies and surreal, esoterically-inspired, or whimsical lyrics.

At least, that it what I think of when I hear the phrase.

Then, there is:

Neo-psychedelia

Neo-psychedelia (a.k.a. modern psychedelic rock, psy, psych) is the product of the psychedelic rock explosion of the 1960s. Modern neo-psychedelic bands base strong elements on the works of other notable leaders in the 1960s psychedelic rock culture. A form of free melodic music sometimes associated with indie rock, neo-psychedelic musicians use a variety of elements; distorted electronic sounds (including artists from completely different musical backgrounds such as new wave, alternative rock, shoegaze, space rock, stoner metal/rock, and ambient) with strong influences of the popular psychedelia of the '60s. Some bands show music style that bring their sound to a "psychedelic dimension" or "acid-rock".

Agree about Forever Changes as an essential. Same for West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Ok, I was never a big acid head (born too late), but I think some consideration should be given to other highly influential psych albums -- offhand, you need SOME Bob Dylan, he was using LSD before almost any musician (Blonde On Blonde probably my pick), Buffalo Springfield, The Who (Tommy), Velvet Underground (Loaded?), David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust), maybe Flying Burrito Brothers. Fast forward to "my" era and you at least need Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

I'm sure there are many more, need more coffee and running late to my shrink appt...

I'm thinking "My" era now, too. For that I'll list a few, as any good music geek will:

• Flaming Lips - Transmissions From the Satellite Heart
  • Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
  • Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs to Make Music To Take Drugs To
  • Bongwater - Double Bummer
  • Meat Puppets - Up On the Sun
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
  • Stone Roses - Stone Roses
  • Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating Through Space
  • My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
  • Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
  • Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

(Yes, I DO include this album in there, as I do...)

• De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

"Psychedelic" is a pretty hard term to define anymore. It looks like the teacher went with the most generic possible definition. It's still a lot cooler than anything I ever encountered in school though. The closest I came was having a music teacher who sang "Michelle My Belle" all of the time and seemed appalled when we didn't know what he was on about.

That's a pretty good list, but it always rubs me the wrong way when "essential" lists include compilations, as is the case with Jefferson Airplane Loves You.

I've never heard of the Misunderstood. Are they any good?

"Psychedelic" is a pretty hard term to define anymore. It looks like the teacher went with the most generic possible definition.

I think it's pretty clear that the teacher was dealing with the "psychedelic era", which mostly took place in the mid/late '60s. Sticking with the '60s, for now, will allow the teacher (if he's worth his salt) to show how that music influenced later musical styles once he gets to that era later in the semester. This is a history class and history classes are usually chronological.

Arguing that the teacher should be discussing the Stone Roses alongside Pink Floyd is no different than saying the teacher should talk about the Stray Cats alongside Carl Perkins.

I think it's pretty clear that the teacher was dealing with the "psychedelic era", which mostly took place in the mid/late '60s. Sticking with the '60s, for now, will allow the teacher (if he's worth his salt) to show how that music influenced later musical styles once he gets to that era later in the semester. This is a history class and history classes are usually chronological.

Arguing that the teacher should be discussing the Stone Roses alongside Pink Floyd is no different than saying the teacher should talk about the Stray Cats alongside Carl Perkins.

Please understand that my list of the bands from "my" era (Flaming Lips, et. al.) was not meant to place any of those bands in the same category of the "essential" albums that inspired/began this thread. Although, for academic purposes, it would make a good topic for discussion, to trace the influence and progression from A to B.

But that would be the only context in which such discussion would be pertinent, methinks.