early Small Faces

and last but not least Kim"outrageous"Fowly

nuggets1.gif

nuggets2.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't talk about pysch rock without talking about the Moody Blues. Some of thier stuff is alright. Also no mention of The Byrds "Fifth Dimension" or at least "Eight Miles High", which marked a popular shift towards pysh. My favorite is The Grateful Deads "Aoxomoxoa".

How could I almost forget one of my fav bands ever:

BEGINNING OF S.F. ROCK SCENE

Nevertheless, the Charlatans spent a brief but shining moment at Olympian heights atop the nascent San Francisco rock scene, headlining the first acid rock dance at Longshoreman's Hall, billed above the Jefferson Airplane, which was also making its first concert appearance. But the Charlatans, by virtue of their residency that summer at the fabled Red Dog Saloon in Virginia City, Nev., were the stars of the show that night in September 1965 that marked the beginning of the San Francisco rock scene.

Although the group came apart at the seams and finally dissolved two years later, the musicians reunited eight years ago in a successful legal battle to reclaim ownership of the various tapes the Charlatans recorded. By coincidence, the release of "The Amazing Charlatans,'' a 23-song British CD combining tapes from three sources (including an unreleased 1966 album), coincides with the debut of a documentary film by Mary Works, the 29-year-old daughter of a couple who worked at the Red Dog Saloon 30 years ago.

The Charlatans served as house band at the silver rush dance hall, renovated by a bunch of crazed hippies playing cowboys and Indians while high on LSD in the Sierra Nevada ghost town. In Works' engaging, affectionate film, the Charlatans emerge as the centerpiece of a wild and wacky little community, full of characters whose eyes still gleam as they recall the glories of summer 1965.

charlatans.jpg

By coincidence, the release of "The Amazing Charlatans,'' a 23-song British CD combining tapes from three sources (including an unreleased 1966 album), coincides with the debut of a documentary film by Mary Works, the 29-year-old daughter of a couple who worked at the Red Dog Saloon 30 years ago.

Have you seen this documentary? "Rockin' at the Red Dog." I have it on my Netflix queue, and I'm dying to see it.

It is truly a shame that the Charlatans never recorded a proper album during their heyday. It would have been a classic. Instead they ended up a musical footnote.

Meanwhile the Dead, the Airplane and Quicksilver, among others, when on to fame and fortune.

LouieB

'psychedelic rock' is the most abused tag ever applied to music...so much so that it's almost meaningless. however, i will trot out a few of my favorite records which could either induce a different state, or sound really good while under the influence of something psychoactive...

Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun

Butthole Surfers - Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac

Charalambides - Historic 6th Ward

Dungen - Ta Det Lungt

Flying Saucer Attack - Rural Psychedelia

Sun Dial - Other Way Out

Espers - Espers II

Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral

Religious Knives - Resin

Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

Abunai - Round Wound

Bardo Pond - Amanita

Dead Meadow - Feathers

Annexus Quam - Osmose

Marble Sheep - The Gate of a Heavenly Body

Morgen - self-titled

German Oak - self-titled

Sunburned hand of the man - Manhunt in D

The Wellwater Conspiracy - Brotherhood of Electric: Operational Directives

there's a ton of great krautrock which could qualify as 'psychedelic' too (i listed a couple).

Since the definition of psychedelic is getting considerably stretched in this thread, I think you could make an argument for some albums by Gong, too, especially:

Camembert Electrique

Flying Teapot (Radio Gnome Invisible, Pt. 1)

Angel's Egg (Radio Gnome Invisible, Pt. 2)

You