Guitar Tones/Effects

So many people dont know the difference between OD and distortion, and expect too much out of an OD...i think if you are listening to a clip online, you are already getting a compressed sound even more compressed by encoding and generally crappy speaker that go with most computer set ups... to check out something like an OCD, you have to test drive it.

I'm well aware of the difference between OD and distortion, and equally well aware of the limitations of listening to clips on the internet,even if they are hooked up to half-way decent speakers (as mine are). But I am equally aware that ALL internet clips are subject to these same limitations, and although recorded at variable levels of quality, a certain degree of comparative listening is possible, especially when you have compared a number of clips to things you actually own and play all the time. This, coupled with the fact that I have also heard the pedal played in a live band setting, is enough for me.

...you have to try YOUR rig with them in YOUR style...

This is far more to the point. Unfortunately, no local shop stocks as well as the internet and sometimes this can't be done.

im just a guy who plays guitar at home. not in band. no big musical future.

just want to add a little beef to the bones, you know what i mean?

i run a epiphone wildkat/fender tele into a 30w Orange Amp. nothing special, nothing professional. i havent seen Orange amps at guitar stores.

i'll try out a fender tele at the store with a pedal and see what happens. thanks!

Yup, let your own ears be the judge and not us gear snobs. That said, don't forget to try out the Danelectro Transparent OD.

I'm well aware of the difference between OD and distortion, and equally well aware of the limitations of listening to clips on the internet,even if they are hooked up to half-way decent speakers (as mine are). But I am equally aware that ALL internet clips are subject to these same limitations, and although recorded at variable levels of quality, a certain degree of comparative listening is possible, especially when you have compared a number of clips to things you actually own and play all the time. This, coupled with the fact that I have also heard the pedal played in a live band setting, is enough for me.

This is far more to the point. Unfortunately, no local shop stocks as well as the internet and sometimes this can't be done.

Yup, let your own ears be the judge and not us gear snobs. That said, don't forget to try out the Danelectro Transparent OD.

Heya sporty...I wasnt jumping on YOU for your suggestion, or your opinion. simply pointing out that until 'you' (SOMEONE) actually tries a unit out for themselves, they arent giving themselves enough to work with in the research dept. :monkey

Oh FWIW, ginandcigs, I my drummer works at GC and I do tech work for them on occasion...no one is going to have an issue with you bringing in your own rig to demo a pedal...they are all about sales, period. However, you will never get any kind of GC endorsement from me...they are the devil...

I have considered that in my case, I play mostly vintage/esoteric gear...there are not options for similar comparison in most stores...others could have better luck in store or online

Oh FWIW, ginandcigs, I my drummer works at GC and I do tech work for them on occasion...no one is going to have an issue with you bringing in your own rig to demo a pedal...they are all about sales, period. However, you will never get any kind of GC endorsement from me...they are the devil...

Hee hee. I was being a little tongue in cheek there and I was also perhaps generalizing unfairly from my experiences at GC Hollywood, which seems to be staffed by the entire line ups of Cinderella and White Lion who have no doubt gone slightly mad from having to listen to Tracii Guns (look-alike) play deedly deedly deedly deedly deedly for 8 straight hours broken only by some 15 year old trying to play a three-note nu-metal riff with only two notes on a dimed Marshall.

I have been to a GC in Connecticut that was quite pleasant.

That said,

(1) I wish I could play deedly deedly deedly deedly; it sounds pretty cool.

(2) I guess I would agree to have hair-metal hair in my forties if it meant that I would have hair in my forties.

What was I talking about?

irun a epiphone wildkat/fender tele into a 30w Orange Amp. nothingspecial, nothing professional

Hey don't sell your gear short; a lot of great music was made on inexpensive gear. On the Mermaid Avenue tours, Jay Bennett had an army of new Danelectros behind him and they couldn't have been more than $350 a piece. I've seen Jon Brion with a Chamberlin on stage with him, but it didn't get as much work as his Casio keyboard and MicroKorg.

That said,

(1) I wish I could play deedly deedly deedly deedly; it sounds pretty cool.

(2) I guess I would agree to have hair-metal hair in my forties if it meant that I would have hair in my forties.

:lol :lol :lol

I told Jason that if he took the job, Id have to start looking for another drummer, because either he'd be going to jail eventually for killing some douchebag with a drum stick to the throat, of he'd end up deaf or have a break down from the incessant racket in the background...I got him some ear plug, we'll see how it goes...

We must be at the uncool GC because we are both shaven headed

simply pointing out that until 'you' (SOMEONE) actually tries a unit out for themselves, they arent giving themselves enough to work with in the research dept. :monkey

a good maxim if you're buying boss, mxr, dano, or other things which are widely available, but if you're gonna go boutique, this will severely limit your options.

• 4 weeks later...