Your Top Films Of This Decade 2000-2009

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha. I love when people say that.

Departed > Infernal Affairs by a mile.

You're on crack.

The characters were so much more richly inhabited by the actors in the original. I mean, come on, Leonardo fucking DiCaprio?

Scorsese made an admirable remake, and it's a great film in its own right, but it pales next to the original.

2000:

Snatch

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

101 Reykjavic

Battle Royale

Amores Perros

Memento

2001:

Devil's Backbone

Dogtown and Z Boys

Shaolin Soccer

Spirited Away

Y Tu Mama Tambien

2002:

Pianist

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Infernal Affairs

The Kid Stays in the Picture

The Whale Rider

Hero

Jackass

2003:

The Dreamers

Ju-On - The Grudge

Lost in Translation

2004:

Aviator

Downfall

Riding Giants

Kung Fu Hustle

Motorcycle Diaries

Team America: World Police

2005:

40-year old virgin

2006:

Hostel

Dave Chappelle's Block Party

The Queen

The Prestige

Volver

Pan's Labyrinth

2007:

Zodiac

Knocked Up

No Country for Old Men

The Orphanage

2008:

Cloverfield

The Wrestler

2009: nothing noteworthy yet. Have only seen a couple 2009 releases.

The characters were so much more richly inhabited by the actors in the original. I mean, come on, Leonardo fucking DiCaprio?

Scorsese made an admirable remake, and it's a great film in its own right, but it pales next to the original.

The original is better, yes, but Leonardo has talent. There's not too many American actors in his age-group that are better.

Guest Runaway Jim

The original is better, yes, but Leonardo has talent. There's not too many American actors in his age-group that are better.

Anyone that doesn't think DiCaprio is a great actor, is nuts. Or on crack. I can't take anyone's review of a movie seriously when they knock him. He's fucking great. See Catch Me If You Can for christ's sake.

Infernal Affairs is only ok, it's overrated and it's a classic example of a movie people say they like [better] because they think that makes them cool. It doesn't.

The Departed is a fucking classic.

DiCaprio does alright, and I'd say he's above average, but he's not a favorite of mine. What I should have said was "I mean, come on, Mark fucking Wahlberg?"

People who say The Departed is better than Infernal Affairs probably watched the dubbed version, and almost certainly watched the remake first. They probably also can't stand the thought that the mighty Martin Scorsese couldn't improve on the work of someone nobody in America's heard of.

The story works better in the original, the acting is better, and I daresay the directing is better. The suspense is better rationed, and the whole piece just works better. The Departed does a surprisingly good job of recreating those elements (far better than in a typical western remake), but it still falls short. It's a fantastic American film, but in the end, it's merely a worthwhile homage to its source material.

Guest Runaway Jim

The Departed isn't even in Scorsese's Top 10, unless you're into hearing Gimme Shelter for the 3rd time.

No, it's his 3rd best movie, behind Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. And it's far better than Infernal Affairs.

And I like Mark Wahlberg.

No, it's his 3rd best movie, behind Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. And it's far better than Infernal Affairs.

And I like Mark Wahlberg.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinions. However wrong they are.

Guest Runaway Jim

I've seen Raging Bull. A few times. Not a big fan. I mean, it's pretty good, but just not my favorite of his.

It's pretty standard for everyone to include Goodfellas, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull when talking about Scorcese's best. It is possible that someone might not like one or more of those movies as much as everyone else, you know? Just because popular opinion is that Raging Bull is one of the greatest movies ever made, doesn't mean I have to share that opinion.

I still say anyone that likes Infernal Affairs better than The Departed just says that to seem cool. You can admit to it, dude.

I still say anyone that likes Infernal Affairs better than The Departed just says that to seem cool. You can admit to it, dude.

You have such a closed mind on this that you'll only ever see your chosen reality.

I honestly, 100%, without reservations, believe that Infernal Affairs is the superior film. It has nothing to do with seeming cool, and if you knew me, you'd understand how ludicrous the mere suggestion is. I'm far too old and far too disconnected from anything resembling popular culture to give the faintest fuck about how cool I seem, to anyone.

Guest Runaway Jim

You can seem cool on an internet message board?

I've met a bunch of people who'll talk and talk about Infernal Affairs being better, and it's simply because they want to seem more movie-smart or artsie or cool.

I'm just having some fun with you all.

I always enjoy these kinds of threads because they get the wife and I back to getting our money's worth out of the netflix account. I just don't have the time these days to do much searching for good movies.

the one that I just can't seem to abide is million dollar baby. I remember when that movie ended, and the wife and I turned to each other simultaneously and uttered "that's it?!" still just don't get it... maybe someone can help me with that.

Guest Runaway Jim

I liked Million Dollar Baby a lot but it's always been a "see it once" kind of movie for me. The chemisty between Eastwood and Freeman is great and it's a nice story but now that I know the outcome, I have no reason to see it again.

I would have rather seen Eternal Sunshine, Sideways or The Aviator take home Best Picture that year.

Guest Speed Racer

A couple of these are mostly on their for nostalgia's sake, but I do think they're pretty "best"

Magnolia

Catch Me If You Can

Almost Famous

Amores Perros

Downfall

No Direction Home

No Country For Old Men

The Royal Tennenbaums

Lost in Translation

IATTBYH

The Pianist

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Like music, I judge film by it's tenacity in my guts.

Baker's dozen in no order:

There Will Be Blood

Magnolia

Amelie

The Return

Requiem For A Dream

Spirited Away

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Pan's Labyrinth

High Fidelity

Vanilla Sky

Matilda