Your Top Films Of This Decade 2000-2009

Mystic River

No Country For Old Men

Wait, weren't you in Mystic River? You can't pick films that you were in. That's a conflict of interest.

Agreed on No Country for Old Men. Damn I love that film. I'd add O' Brother Where Art Though and A Serious Man to that list as well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say anyone that likes Infernal Affairs better than The Departed just says that to seem cool. You can admit to it, dude.

What about if you're like me and you actually ARE COOL and you still think Infernal Affairs is better? The Departed is way way too long, and goes way off the original plot line for no great reason other than to make it different than the original - it's a great example of allowing the actors stature to dominate their screen time - Jack Nicholson should never have been in it as much as he was, no matter how good he can act.

back to the main topic: how come ten years in film seems so much longer than ten years in music? or is it just me that feels this?

top 15 off the top of my head, in no order (although I've watched Master & Commander more times than any of the other films, so perhaps that's my no.1)

Master & Commander

Mullholland Drive

The Life Aquatic

Battle Royale

Tears Of The Black Tiger

Citizen Dog

Human Nature

The Science Of Sleep

Wet Hot American Summer

Black Book

This Is England

The Bourne Identity

Memento

Zatoichi

Downfall

In no conscious order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

There Will Be Blood

No Country for Old Men

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Pan’s Labyrinth

Children of Men

Lost in Translation

Kill Bill 1&2

Guest Runaway Jim

What about if you're like me and you actually ARE COOL and you still think Infernal Affairs is better? The Departed is way way too long, and goes way off the original plot line for no great reason other than to make it different than the original - it's a great example of allowing the actors stature to dominate their screen time - Jack Nicholson should never have been in it as much as he was, no matter how good he can act.

I disagree.

In no conscious order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

There Will Be Blood

No Country for Old Men

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Pan’s Labyrinth

Children of Men

Lost in Translation

Kill Bill 1&2

I just watched TWBB last night - the first time in a long while. I find this movie mesmerizing. I think it is my #1 of the decade.

Guest Runaway Jim

I just watched TWBB last night - the first time in a long while. I find this movie mesmerizing. I think it is my #1 of the decade.

Glad to see that! TWBB is definitely my #1 of the decade. I have never seen a better movie - I think it belongs up there with the all time classics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to choose by scrolling through the list of all films released in the decade, but I've decided to wing it. If I forgot a great one that I would put in my top ten, then it didn't really deserve a spot here I guess.

I've added one thing I love about it to each title.

You Can Count On Me - the last scene

Almost Famous - Cameron Crowe

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - tree limb to the head picnic

Once - Marketa's English

There Will Be Blood - dinner napkin over Daniel Plainview's face

Let The Right One In - the cold

Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That! - attending a concert in fifty seats at once

Donnie Darko - the Darko family

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - "murdererrrrrrr"

Where The Wild Things Are - Carol wanting things to be like they used to be

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw Synecdoche, New York - definitely a top ten movie of the decade for me. Also realized that Philip Seymour Hoffman could read all the names out of a phone book and I'd watch it to the bitter end.