Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!

There’s no point trying to add another reason why this album is so good – I think that’s been covered. YHF is without a doubt one of, if not my, favourite album. I find it is extremely comforting to listen to. It hasn’t dated at all to my ears, and is continually interesting and exciting. I still hear new things on each listen.

That is all.

Guest Runaway Jim

I don't even need to listen to the YHF at this point. I can just replay the whole album my head - words, music, and noise.

I can't say that about any other album.

No need to apologize, has anyone tried to save Latin for you yet?

--Mike

Not to my knowledge, but usually when things happen to me I'm the last to know.

P.S. With a few ultra-sensative posters here, there's always a need to apologize, regardless.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Twin Peaks, and Calvin and Hobbes. Those are the 3 game changers in my mind. Totally blew the doors off of what is possible with popular art and entertainment.

• 1 month later...

Favorite part of the entire album: The piano part under Tweedy's "I am down on my hands and knees, every time a door bell rings." Close second: Poor Places, the ending might be the closest anyone's come to getting the same effect of "A Day in The Life."

The other high compliment I can give this record is anytime something awful happens in my life or in the world at large, this is almost always what I put on. And unlike something like Death Cab's Transatlanticism, which was my "angry young man" record years ago that I now can't listen to at all without being reminded how ridiculous I was when it was my favorite album, Foxtrot has always endured for me. It's universal in a weird way that can adapt to almost any mood, and yet all the songs feel completely specific towards a time or an emotion.

--Mike

Definitely.. I am pretty sure that I am a bigger fan of Ashes live, but like all of the YHF tracks, the studio versions and live versions are amazing in their own ways, depending on your mood... the Ashes on the studio just has this level of desolation that isn't conveyed live

I got a copy of YHF before the official release came out and to be honest, i'm not even sure if it is the final version that was released. It has the same tracklisting as the official release so I assume its the same thing, but anybody know if there was another version floating out there with the same tracks?

Its one of the few perfect albums I have. Its up there with side 2 of Abbey Road.

Oh and I absolutely love Radio Cure. Initially it was one of the songs I kind of mentally skipped when listening to the album but listening loud on a great stereo got me hooked. The intro to that is haunting

With the likely exception of "Being There," their other albums have some huge fans, but also some huge detractors. And you can understand consensus on BT -- if you're not a head banger, there's not a lot to dislike with BT. Strong songs built off a fairly conventional pop structure.

Detractor might be a strong word, but I always found Being There a great deal below Summerteeth, YHF, and AGIB in terms of quality. I heard Being There after Summerteeth and YHF and was very disappointed at the lack of lyrical and musical complexity. It felt sappy and trite to me the first time I heard it. Even though it eventually grew to be one of my favorite albums of the 90s retroactively, it still falls slightly short of their best work imo.

Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but after hearing endless dissing on Summerteeth (which is to my ears, flawless) I figured I'd get my two cents in.

Detractor might be a strong word, but I always found Being There a great deal below Summerteeth, YHF, and AGIB in terms of quality. I heard Being There after Summerteeth and YHF and was very disappointed at the lack of lyrical and musical complexity. It felt sappy and trite to me the first time I heard it. Even though it eventually grew to be one of my favorite albums of the 90s retroactively, it still falls slightly short of their best work imo.

Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but after hearing endless dissing on Summerteeth (which is to my ears, flawless) I figured I'd get my two cents in.

I had a similar experience with BT, having backtracked to it from ST & YHF. By then, I had already heard great live versions of almost all the songs, and they were much better than what was on the discs.

In a way, ST was a giant leap forward from BT, and YHF was a giant leap forward from ST, though I still like ST sonically better than any of their other albums. (Not a big fan of O'Rourke's influence.) I could probably make a disc of my favorites off ST and YHF and call it the perfect Wilco album. :lol