Why was Dark Neon not on (the Album)?

Dark Neon is probably my fourth favorite song that came out the sessions (behind Bull Black Nova, Solitaire, and One Wing). I wouldn't take anything off the record, I'd just put Dark Neon in between Country and Solitaire. That would help spruce up the back end of the record a bit more in my opinion.

--Mike

Ouch, yes, that would be sweet. I love Country Disappeared, but how much cooler would it be knowing Neon was lurking on the other side? If I wasn't so anal I'd make that change on my Ipod right away...

I think it's better to open the album w/ Dark Neon (try it!) and follow it up w/ Sonny Feeling, then basically continue in the same order but save "Bull Black" and "Country" for after I'll Fight to help balance the 2nd half of the album (plus the line "Wake up we're here..." coming out of Bull Black Nova is sequential genius, if you ask me), then stick "The Song" at the end as a fun send-off instead of that bombastic Everlasting thing, which can settle for the penultimate spot. Also, Solitaire is awesome. :D

Huh, weird. I had never heard this song (don't have a copy) until the link posted above. Now that I have heard the song, I'd say that the reason it is not on the album is because it's not very good. The lyrics and the phrasings are iffy (screams notwithstanding), the effects feel forced, etc. Basically, it's a fun tune, but a no-brainer B-side. At least to these ears. Happy to have it, of course. Just as happy it didn't make the album.

EDIT: of course, give it 3-4 more listens and maybe it clicks and I think it's a great tune.

More Jeff screaming please. "Dark Neon," "Kicking TV", "Student Loan Stereo," "I'm A Wheel." It's an underused tool in the Tweedy canon. I like it very much, especially live.

Dark Neon is probably my fourth favorite song that came out the sessions (behind Bull Black Nova, Solitaire, and One Wing).

You, Sir, have impeccable taste. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Huh, weird. I had never heard this song (don't have a copy) until the link posted above. Now that I have heard the song, I'd say that the reason it is not on the album is because it's not very good. The lyrics and the phrasings are iffy (screams notwithstanding), the effects feel forced, etc. Basically, it's a fun tune, but a no-brainer B-side. At least to these ears. Happy to have it, of course. Just as happy it didn't make the album.

No, no Matt - trust me, this song is teh awesome.

I thought of this thread when Shakin' Sugar came up on my shuffle... it's because its not part of the album. I agree too, theres places it could have fit, it definitely wouldnt have been the worst song on (the album), but its just not part of it, it becomes a different statement then. I love the YHF demos, but its not YHF, and I think its part of the reason the albums stand up so well over time, and the b-sides are still killer. How many awesome Beatles B-sides are there? Same thing, they were making albums - which is why we love Wilco right?