10 Best Albums Resulting from Uncle Tupelo Breakup

5. Being There: Wilco

[sire, 1995]

For a certain segment of the Wilco fan base, this album would be sitting at the top position. Being There stands as Jeff Tweedy’s penultimate statement in the field of alt-country. The expansive double album meanders through American roots music, touching on bluegrass, country, and early rock 'n' roll before settling in and signing off with the epic “Dreamer in My Dreams.”

I am one of those "certain segments" of the fan base.

Guest Runaway Jim

5. Being There: Wilco

[sire, 1995]

For a certain segment of the Wilco fan base, this album would be sitting at the top position. Being There stands as Jeff Tweedy’s penultimate statement in the field of alt-country. The expansive double album meanders through American roots music, touching on bluegrass, country, and early rock 'n' roll before settling in and signing off with the epic “Dreamer in My Dreams.”

I am one of those "certain segments" of the fan base.

I am too.

I don't think they know the meaning of the word 'penultimate'. Maybe they meant 'pinnacle'.

I'm most baffled by the selection of Loose Fur over B.A.I.T.U.S.A..

I am too.

I don't think they know the meaning of the word 'penultimate'. Maybe they meant 'pinnacle'.

Check out the combative comments after the article - there's a bit in there about the word 'penultimate.' By using this word the author was implying that Summerteeth was their last alt-country album...hmmm...

Guest Runaway Jim

Check out the combative comments after the article - there's a bit in there about the word 'penultimate.' By using this word the author was implying that Summerteeth was their last alt-country album...hmmm...

Being There is clearly Tweedy's last Alt-Country record.

I am too.

I'll take Loose Fur over Born Again in the USA any day.

Guest Runaway Jim

Clearly; agree 100%. I was pointing out the fact that the author (albeit indirectly) is referring to ST as the last alt-country record...

Yeah, I was directing that towards the author, not you. I can't think of single second of ST that is alt-country. Not sure where they get that.

I would also say that Straightaways was robbed. That's my favorite SV album, hands down. If I were to make this list, it would be...

10. A Ghost is Born

9. Weird Tales

8. AM

7. Born Again in the USA

6. Mermaid Avenue No. 1

5. Trace

4. Summerteeth

3. Straightaways

2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

1. Being There

So not really much fun there. Basically just a list of Wilco and Son Volt albums.

Wide Swing Tremolo is easily Son Volt's weakest album. Not bad, but not great, and not in the same league as "The Search."

I actually liked Jay Bennett's self-released acoustic album "Whatever Happened I Apologize"--it's certainly better than the grossly overproduced "The Magnificent Defeat."

Glad to see "Weird Tales" get some love--one of my favorite "alt-country" records of all.

I like seeing the Golden Smog records on there, but "Weird Tales", for how much I love it, is a bit high. Above Trace? One of the best alt-country statements of all time, in my sometimes humble opinion. Glad to hear some sticking up for the other Son Volt records...but the new era Son Volt I just haven't been able to dig.

The Brooklyn Side being left off is a gross oversight. And for a personal touch, I would have added Farrar's Terroir Blues, one of the most gentle, understated, beautiful, underrated albums of all time.

Not an awful list though.