We Can Make It Better: The Thanks I Get (First time played + studio verison)

4078632302_baeb81489f_o.jpg

Before it was in a VW commercial, Jeff wrote this song for Soloman Burke. I know this because I was leaning on the stage the first time he played it live at the Abbey Pub a few years ago, before seeing the whole band perform it live at the Conan O'Brien show at the Chicago Theatre.

After playing it at the Abbey Jeff went on this awesome diatribe about how SBS was gonna be a groovy soul record which led into some "intellectual overconceptualized bullshit" about the nature of rock and roll. I love listening to botho I mixed together the two tracks, the studio version and the one from the Abbey into one cohesive track

For your enjoyment:

http://www.box.net/shared/4an3camqg0

Absolutely love this song, hoping it doesn't fall into B-side obscurity on all future set lists, but this song pretty much didn't see the light of day this year sans Jeff solo shows. I wonder if they'll only play it full band with Total Pros now?

That'd be great... love da' total pro's. It really is a rocker, I hope they go as far as still making that dirty soul record.

pretty cool that you caught the first performance of this song, jdmel. I was lucky enough to be there when the band played it live for the first time in Chapel Hill '06. I thought it was a great sing along, more so than Kingpin, and enjoyed it immensely. I liked Jeff's rocker move that he had "worked on all day" which consisted of him stomping in place like a child throwing a tantrum, lol.

pretty cool that you caught the first performance of this song, jdmel. I was lucky enough to be there when the band played it live for the first time in Chapel Hill '06. I thought it was a great sing along, more so than Kingpin, and enjoyed it immensely. I liked Jeff's rocker move that he had "worked on all day" which consisted of him stomping in place like a child throwing a tantrum, lol.

Damn! You went to the first show, didn't you? I knew I'd miss out on something when I couldn't get tickets. I did go the next night and Tweedy told us they were trying out a new song for the first time live. If I remember right it was Walken. They played four new songs that night and I recalled how fresh and upbeat the sound was and I was very excited about the impending new album.

If I remember right it was Walken. They played four new songs that night and I recalled how fresh and upbeat the sound was and I was very excited about the impending new album.

Was that the Chapel Hill show? I remember being glued to a copy of that... Walken's progression has been a fun one to watch.