Tyler quits Aerosmith?

In terms of drum solo's Genesis between '76 and '82 was perfect. Phil Colins and Chester Thompson did some amazing stuff between them. It's a real shame that Phil isn't more widly credited with his work from the back of the stage.

One I remember from back in the day was Mick Fleetwood who, similar to Kramer, would prance around the stage 'playing with himself'. He also had these two wooden 'balls' that used to dangle between his legs that he would hit from time to time. not sure why.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven sounds like the weakest link on their new track which they premiered on American Idol last night and can be heard at aeroforceone.com

As an old Aerosmith fan, I hope this is similar to Van Halen's latest release where the lead off track isn't indicative of the rest of the album.

My first thought is the song sounds like something off of Pump.

I think it's great if they make a new album that is not all power ballads, and they have success with it - just as KISS and Van Halen have done. But - it's not something I would buy.

As much as I love classic Aerosmith, I still hold a grudge against them for ditching the complete Toys In The Attic setlist just a few days before the tour (2007?) hit my town (actually they cheated and for the first couple weeks of the tour when they actually were playing the entire album, they were leaving off the last song You See Me Crying at all except one show, I think). They heavily promoted the show on the basis of Toys In The Attic, and the radio ads ran day and night right up until show day even though it was well known they had stopped playing it. The only reason I bought tickets to see the washed up Aerosmith yet again was to finally hear Adam's Apple, Uncle Salty, and No More No More. I was frickin' pissed at them for caving to their mainstream audience who apparently didn't respond well enough to the complete Toys. I rarely toss around the overused phrase "sell-out", but this was one case in which it was spot-on. Its a damn shame, they could still be a killer rock band if the chose to, instead they go for the money.

I do respect Steven Tyler for the fact that last night on American Idol he clearly sang all the nasty lyrics of Walk This Way and refused to tone down his act for a very very mainstream audience. Dude's got attitude, cockiness and charisma and he's still got the ability to be one of the best frontment in rock.

Steven sounds like the weakest link on their new track which they premiered on American Idol last night and can be heard at aeroforceone.com

As an old Aerosmith fan, I hope this is similar to Van Halen's latest release where the lead off track isn't indicative of the rest of the album.

i listened to a bit of it. i'm always leary of bands 're-using' lyrics from their old hits. album might be good though. definitely has that more modern production. my favorite latter day song from them is definitely What It Takes. i loved that video of them in the studio.

As much as I love classic Aerosmith, I still hold a grudge against them for ditching the complete Toys In The Attic setlist just a few days before the tour (2007?) hit my town (actually they cheated and for the first couple weeks of the tour when they actually were playing the entire album, they were leaving off the last song You See Me Crying at all except one show, I think). They heavily promoted the show on the basis of Toys In The Attic, and the radio ads ran day and night right up until show day even though it was well known they had stopped playing it. The only reason I bought tickets to see the washed up Aerosmith yet again was to finally hear Adam's Apple, Uncle Salty, and No More No More. I was frickin' pissed at them for caving to their mainstream audience who apparently didn't respond well enough to the complete Toys. I rarely toss around the overused phrase "sell-out", but this was one case in which it was spot-on. Its a damn shame, they could still be a killer rock band if the chose to, instead they go for the money.

I do respect Steven Tyler for the fact that last night on American Idol he clearly sang all the nasty lyrics of Walk This Way and refused to tone down his act for a very very mainstream audience. Dude's got attitude, cockiness and charisma and he's still got the ability to be one of the best frontment in rock.

They did most of Toys for the first 7 shows of the 2009 tour (w/ ZZ Top). After that 7th show, they cancelled the next 7 shows. When they started back up they had ditched Toys and only made it another 8 shows before Tyler fell off the stage at Sturgis. Rest of the tour was cancelled and that is when Joe and Steven started publicly feuding. Disappointing time in the band's history for sure.

Thanks for clarifying the dates and length of time and all that. It all transpired faster than I remembered. Yeah, that is the tour I'm talking about. At the time, I felt like instant karma had smacked Aerosmith in the face. If you pander to the lowest common denominator in your audience by letting them decide what you are going to play, you get lame audiences. They might be vastly larger, but still lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is not as bad as I expected.

It's better than a lot of their recent stuff for sure. It's just too bad the production on this is way too slick and overproduced.

• 6 months later...

Just saw these guys for the 3rd time last night. Holy shit, I really did not think Tyler would still be able to bring the rawk, but he was on fire...getting flashed by a couple of young blondes probably helped. :lol

They broke out Moving Out, Mama Kin and Walking The Dog from the first album, and pretty much killed on Come Together & Train Kept A Rollin'. It was totally worth it to suffer through two new songs and a Joey Kramer drum solo/bathroom break to hear those songs, along with Combination, Mother Popcorn, and the obligatory Walk This Way, Dream On and Sweet Emotion.

They were much better than that in Tampa the other night. I had watched this performance and was really worried they had lost their mojo. They haven't.

Lots of old numbers: Moving Out, Mama Kin, Walking The Dog, Come Together, Train Kept A Rollin', Combination, Mother Popcorn, Walk This Way, Dream On, Sweet Emotion...hell, even Living On The Edge, Love In An Elevator, Dude Looks Like A Lady and What It Takes are pretty old at this point, right?