Tyler quits Aerosmith?

America's Rolling Stones

I remember when they were called that.

You don't care for the fist album? I have always liked it.

Aerosmith (1973)

Billboard:

Who wants to become the new singer for Aerosmith?

Guitarist Joe Perry said that he and his bandmates are "positively looking for a new singer to work with," following a rift with frontman Steven Tyler.

Perry made the announcement on his Twitter page, ratcheting up an unusually public feud with his songwriting partner of 40 years.

The duo, dubbed the "Toxic Twins" for their hard-living days of yore, wrote such classic-rock staples as "Walk this Way" and "Love in an Elevator." Their musical relationship has been likened to that of their role models, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.

But Tyler, 61, recently said he wants to concentrate on solo endeavors, a claim he has made in the past but never followed through on. He also stopped communicating with the rest of the band several months ago, and hired his own manager.

Perry told Reuters last month that Tyler has refused to write a song with him for a decade. More recently, Perry said that the last time he phoned Tyler, the singer hung up on him.

Incredibly, the band has still managed to perform concerts, but a summer trek through North America was cut short in August when Tyler fell off the stage and broke his shoulder. None of his bandmates accompanied him to the hospital.

In recent weeks, Aerosmith reunited for a pair of shows in Hawaii, and then performed at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Nov. 1, temporarily papering over the cracks to recoup some of the revenue lost by the canceled American tour.

But Tyler surprised his bandmates by telling Britain's Classic Rock magazine, in an article published last Wednesday, that he would focus on his own projects, "Brand Tyler," as he dubbed it.

His bandmates were less than enthusiastic about being sidelined. In the same article, guitarist Brad Whitford raised the possibility of bringing in a new vocalist.

Tyler was "one of a kind," it quoted Whitford as saying. "But if somebody was willing to do it and the chemistry was right, why not?"

Perry quickly took to Twitter to express his dismay at learning about Tyler's apparent departure online, and he described Tyler's attitude as "a bit cold."

In his Twitter messages on Monday, in which he referred to Tyler simply as "one of the members," Perry denied Aerosmith would break up, saying the band was playing "hotter than ever."

"You just can't take 40 years of experience and throw it in the bin!"

At any rate, Perry is now focusing on his own endeavors. He just released his fifth solo album, and plans an extensive world tour early next year.

Aerosmith previously fell apart in 1979, when Perry quit the band during its drug-fueled nadir. Whitford soon followed, leaving the rest of the band to limp along. The original line-up reconvened in 1984, sobered up, and eventually enjoyed a successful 1990s comeback fueled by MTV videos.

But the band has not released a studio album of new material since 2001. Recording sessions since then have been interrupted by ailments affected virtually every band member. For his part, Tyler did a stint in rehab last year.

While Perry has been vocal about the feud, Tyler has largely kept silent. But his daughter, Mia, also took to Twitter on Monday to defend him and to make a dig at Perry.

"They are in their 60s now," she wrote. "Let them do what they wanna do! & can someone please tell [Joe Perry] that gossiping on Twitter is uncalled [for]!"

The online encyclopedia Wikipedia responded to the feud by moving Tyler to its list of former Aerosmith members, but then restored him to the current line-up amid the uncertainty.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rocks" is my favorite with "Toys" a close second. I always liked the story below.

How Aerosmith's Rocks Changed My Life

By Slash

Harp Magazine

Alright, it was Aerosmith’s Rocks, and I first heard it when I was about 14 years old. I used to race BMX bikes and the older guys put it on, and it just grabbed me—F%@&, this is bad. I only got to hear it for like a second the first time. The second time I heard it was—there was this girl that used to hang around a certain group of friends, and she was probably the best-looking girl in school and in the neighborhood, and she’d just broken up with her boyfriend. I tried desperately to pick this girl up for the longest time, and finally she invited me up to her house.

I was aspiring to get in this girl’s pants, more or less, so I go up to her room, and she’s got tapestries on the wall and incense and pot, her stereo—a typical teenage-girl’s room at the time. She put on some records; we listened to Zeppelin; we listened to Yes; and then finally she put this record on that I recognized immediately from like the first f%&*#n’ note.

It was Rocks. I must’ve listened to this record in that girl’s—her name was Lori—bedroom probably a half-dozen times, from front to back, over and over again, and I completely ignored her. The whole purpose of my being there completely went out the window. Finally I think she said, “I think it’s time for you to go.” And I was like, “Okay, see ya.” I got on my bike and I took off and she never spoke to me again.

Love that story

Love that story

I'm almost done reading Slash's book. Lots of good stories, and a good bit of Aerosmith content.

I'd rather see Aerosmith call it quits than to carry on with new members. There aren't many bands (are there ANY others?) that have been around as long as them that still has the original lineup.

I'm almost done reading Slash's book. Lots of good stories, and a good bit of Aerosmith content.

I'd rather see Aerosmith call it quits than to carry on with new members. There aren't many bands (are there ANY others?) that have been around as long as them that still has the original lineup.

never really dug them. tried, couldn't. that's not to say i didn't love the 'lovin' video when i was 17!

Guest Speed Racer

You don't care for the fist album? I have always liked it.

I never cared for the first one until after I stopped liking Aerosmith. It's pretty damned good - Perry is awesome on it.

I like Movin' Out and Write me a letter.

ZZ Top - 1969

Aerosmith - 1970

I love the first album.

ZZ Top...good call. I didn't realize they started in '69. So that's just about it for 30+ year old bands with intact lineups.

haha. gotta love Wikipedia!

In November 2009, Joe Perry stated that Tyler had not been in contact with the band and could be on the verge of quitting Aerosmith.[150] In a later interview, Perry confirmed that Tyler told the other members of the band that he quit the band after the November concert in Abu Dhabi.[151][152] Aerosmith are currently on indefinite hiatus.[citation needed]The band recruited Matt Erhartic as their new vocalist November 11, 2009. Erhartic has been quoted in calling Tyler a "little pussy" and has recently admitted giving his daughter Liv Tyler the "Pirate", a deviant sexual act where a man ejaculates on the eye of his partner and kicking her shin causing her to limp around with one eye open giving the appearnce of a pirate.

:D

aerosmith hasn't been relevant in decades.

your use of "relevant" bugs me. Relevant to whom? Relevant to what? Your statement is undeniably false, as Aerosmith was relevant to speed racer less than a decade ago.

Aerosmith hasn't made music that has interested me in devcades- perhaps ever. but to say that they are "not relevant" is trying to pass opinion off as univerwsal truth, and i find that objectionable. Use a different word.

Rant over.

Guest Speed Racer

your use of "relevant" bugs me. Relevant to whom? Relevant to what? Your statement is undeniably false, as Aerosmith was relevant to speed racer less than a decade ago.

Ah, but the beauty of obsession is that yours doesn't need to bear any resemblence to relevance of any sort.

I find it funny when people say that about Aerosmith, though. I've honestly attributed those remarks to the age of people making them, or simply which era of the band's music they like the most (post-rehab Aerosmith does sound remarkably different than pre-1980 Aerosmith, and I can get liking one sound and not another).

If you're talking about exposure, I think it's fair to say Aerosmith post-rehab is heads and shoulders above the exposure of pre-1980. Of course, I wasn't there, but I always thought that the band 1973 - 1980 was considered a moderate radio success, decent draw for shows, and that fans were the butt of jokes. Post-rehab record sales, chart performance and television/radio exposure (not to mention music videos and commercials) simply blow the 1970's away. Aerosmith's only Hot 100 #1 single was "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," and their only performances in the Top 10 prior to that were Dream On (1976) and Walk This Way. Top 10s only became common place post-rehab.

I think people are wont to dismiss their relevance now because older looking, clean bafoons singing about sex, drugs and rock and roll are a lot dumber looking than younger, fucked up bafoons living sex and drugs, occassionally playing songs about it.

If we're going to say they haven't been relevant in decades, I would just argue that they've always kind of been a joke, they just used to be a younger joke with songs that are more likely to stand the test of time than their recent stuff.

haha. gotta love Wikipedia!

In November 2009, Joe Perry stated that Tyler had not been in contact with the band and could be on the verge of quitting Aerosmith.[150] In a later interview, Perry confirmed that Tyler told the other members of the band that he quit the band after the November concert in Abu Dhabi.[151][152] Aerosmith are currently on indefinite hiatus.[citation needed]The band recruited Matt Erhartic as their new vocalist November 11, 2009. Erhartic has been quoted in calling Tyler a "little pussy" and has recently admitted giving his daughter Liv Tyler the "Pirate", a deviant sexual act where a man ejaculates on the eye of his partner and kicking her shin causing her to limp around with one eye open giving the appearnce of a pirate.

So official annoncement tomorrow? I hope the press release explains "the pirate" manoeuvre.

ZZ Top has Aerosmith beat by more than a year, when you consider that Aerosmith pretty much broke up in the late seventies and resurfaced without Perry or Whitford in the early 80s.

WHEN THE LIGHTNING STRIIIKES!

Aerosmith never really stopped. Joe left in late 1979, Brad left in 1981(replaced by Richard Supa/Jimmy Crespo/Rick Dufay) - but, by (Spring) 1984 they were back in the band.

ZZ Top went on hiatus in 1977, and came back together in 1979.

I think that is right - although I don't know the exact dates.

I like Movin' Out and Write me a letter.

ZZ Top - 1969

Aerosmith - 1970

These guys weren't junkies but still very active and still good...

http://www.cheaptrick.com/

Crap, wrong quote. This was a response to this..

Posted Today, 10:00 AM

cryptique, on 10 November 2009 - 10:38 AM, said:

U2's been around for more than 30 years now. Their debut album will turn 30 next October.

Maybe I should have said 30+ year old bands that were notorious junkies.

Guest Speed Racer

Aerosmith never really stopped. Joe left in late 1979, Brad left in 1981(replaced by Richard Supa/Jimmy Crespo/Rick Dufay) - but, by (Spring) 1984 they were back in the band.

Did Supa really "replace" anyone? I thought he just sat in on a few songs. Christ, I still think his "Chip Away the Stone" is one fo my favorite Aerosmith songs. Love the Live! Bootleg version.

Crespo and Dufay were so high, I don't think they knew they had been in Aerosmith until the mid-90s.

Yeah, I was just coming back to this thread to post "Cheap Trick!" :cheers

:cheers back to you. One of my goals in life is to convert as many people into Cheap Trick fans as possible. Current conversion total: 7 (but that includes my 3 oldest kids so I'm not sure they count).