• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Too Bad the Woman of the World is not awake yet, but, anyhow:

From Billboard.com:

Exclusive: Joe Perry Says Aerosmith Won't Wait For Steven Tyler

by Gary Graff, Detroit | November 11, 2009 5:33 EST

Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry says estranged singer Steven Tyler's surprise guest appearance at his Joe Perry Project concert Tuesday night (Nov. 10) in New York "really didn't change anything in my mind" about the status of their band. Tyler joined Perry and company for an encore rendition of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way," telling fans before the song that "I want you to know that I'm not leaving Aerosmith." Now, Perry tells Billboard.com that Tyler "never said he was leaving the band" but further explains that the singer "said he wanted two years off to do his other projects," which is where things become problematic. "Aerosmith wants to work," says Perry, who Tweeted earlier in the week that the band was "positively looking for a new singer to work with." He adds, "the band's been playing together for 40 years. It's a really powerful rock band, and I don't want to see it just go to waste and I don't think any of the other guys do, either. We're gonna work and we're gonna do something -- I'm not exactly sure what yet, but the band's too good to let it sit around. We're not going to wait for Steven." Perry says he's had one conference call during the past week with bandmates Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer, but they have not made any firm decisions about anything -- including working with another singer while Tyler is pursuing his outside endeavors. "We're waiting for things to kind of settle down, and then we'll figure out what we're gonna do. Anything is possible," the guitarist says.

Perry also says that Tyler's appearance at Irving Plaza on Tuesday caught him completely by surprise. Tyler, he says, appeared backstage just as the Project was taking its encore break. "He was really the last person I expected," Perry recalls, "and then I saw him. He said, 'How ya doin'? What's going on? What songs are you playing -- anything good or what?' I said, 'Well, we've got a couple more to go...You want to come and sit in with the band?' and he said 'Yeah' and...[chose] 'Walk This Way.'" "I was really blown away that he came to the show," says Perry, "but he showed up and was really anxious to come and sit in and play, so I figured, what the hell? He's been my partner for 40 years, and I figured I'd let him have some fun and...give the fans an extra treat." As for spreading Internet rumors about Tyler's health, Perry says that the singer "came and went so fast I didn't even get a chance to check him out that much...We read the Tweets and the different bits of gossip here and there, but that's stuff you need to talk to Steven about." Perry says the Project, meanwhile, will be on the road throughout the month and then plan to resume touring in late January, though he expects to be speaking to the other Aerosmith members in the near future about their potential plans.

Guest Speed Racer

Well, if this isn't just a pandora's box of drama.

The dumbest thing "Aerosmith" could do is record or perform without Steven under that name, during a hiatus. And the dumbest thing "Brand Tyler" could do during that hiatus is record or perform anything without Aerosmith. Is there really a demand for his 'product'?

I guarantee you he'll try to record with a big-name hip-hop producer, and make the rap-crossover album he's always wanted to make. Aerosmith has always performed best when they've tapped their blues roots, but Steven has been pushing that hip-hop thing ever since the Nine Lives era (including about 4,000 live reprisals of the Run DMC (feat. Kid Rock) "Walk This Way" rap).

Oh, my heart's done time.

from Sun-Times gossiper Bill Zwecker

AEROSMITH UPDATE: Steven Tyler has finally denied he's leaving Aerosmith, but reportedly there are issues about band management and Tyler's meddling galpal Erin Brady -- dubbed ''Aerosmith's Yoko Ono'' by the band's Joe Perry.

When will bands learn...I guess that's why some performers just put their spouses/significant others in their band.

Imagine if Twitter was around during the Beatles break-up.

When will bands learn...I guess that's why some performers just put their spouses/significant others in their band.

Imagine if Twitter was around during the Beatles break-up.

You should read all the shit in the book about the band and their (first) wives.

(Which is to say, it's nothing new.)

Guest Speed Racer

You should read all the shit in the book about the band and their (first) wives.

:lol That stuff is solid gold. Joe Perry's first wife was a fucking nutcase. (Edit: which makes his Yoko remark that much funnier.)

I've always thought that bad partners and the problems you have with them meddling in your life are just symptoms of a greater disease. Tyler's always been pretty damned erratic, but when he divorced Theresa a few years ago he really went off his nut.

:lol That stuff is solid gold. Joe Perry's first wife was a fucking nutcase. (Edit: which makes his Yoko remark that much funnier.)

I've always thought that bad partners and the problems you have with them meddling in your life are just symptoms of a greater disease. Tyler's always been pretty damned erratic, but when he divorced Theresa a few years ago he really went off his nut.

What's that bit about one of them throwing a glass of milk at someone? (I can't recall the story.) I always think of Spinal Tap when I read things like that.

Guest Speed Racer

Of course, if I were a 23 year-old(?) whose career (whatever it is) is going nowhere fast, I'd settle for being the person who broke up a 40 year-old rock band. Helluva thing to put on a CV. Young lust...she's been guilty long before she'll ever be tried.

The bassist in my band is my wife. Which can be a good and bad thing. :)

Guest Speed Racer

Well, you can reference this incident in Chapter (17?) of Walk This Way, titled "Spilt Milk." I believe Steven threw a glass of milk at Elissa backstage in 1978 (who I always thought was the Aerosmith equivalent to BSG's Ellen Tigh), and Joe Perry subsequently quit.

Well, you can reference this incident in Chapter (17?) of Walk This Way, titled "Spilt Milk." I believe Steven threw a glass of milk at Elissa backstage in 1978 (who I always thought was the Aerosmith equivalent to BSG's Ellen Tigh), and Joe Perry subsequently quit.

That's it.

My still-vivid recollections of all of this make me wonder what more important facts are missing from my brain to for me to keep holding on to this...

I'm not an Aerosmith fan, but have managed to read the entire thread over the last few days.

A moment ago a thought crossed my mind: "Resident Aerosmith expert".

Can I assume this Elissa is the one that inspired:

You talk about things that nobody cares

Wearing other things that nobody wears

You're callin' my name but I gotta make clear

I can't say baby where I'll be in a year

Some sweat hog mama with a face like a gent

Said my get up and go musta got up and went

Well I got good news, she's a real good liar

Cause the backstage groove'll set your pants on fire

And so on...

Guest Speed Racer

Can I assume this Elissa is the one that inspired:

You talk about things that nobody cares

Wearing other things that nobody wears

You're callin' my name but I gotta make clear

I can't say baby where I'll be in a year

Some sweat hog mama with a face like a gent

Said my get up and go musta got up and went

Well I got good news, she's a real good liar

Cause the backstage groove'll set your pants on fire

And so on...

Yes! There was another, too.

Looks like the Aerosmith discography has been replaced on Wikipedia by the Kiss discography...I blame dondoboy.