Tyler quits Aerosmith?

Sweet Jesus! I had no idea Erin Brady posted on VC.

Don't care much for who Erin Brady was, is or may be. I really think a thread 7 pages long about the merits or lack thereof regarding Aerosmith, a band clearly making music only for a quick buck is boring and outrageous. For Heaven's sake, these money hungry smucks have not been revelant since 1990 and hire outside song writers to write their sappy pop crap they have the nerve to try and sell to the public. I really do dig some of their early to late 70's music but they have sucked since Joe got the boot many years back and I really hope they just give up and go away. I am sure I will have no luck with that as there is too much more money to steal from their fans.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree, but some people like the latter stuff. I think unless they have some sudden hit album like KISS recently did, after years and years, they should just stick to touring. Supposedly, Joe wants to do away with using song doctors. We shall see.

Guest Speed Racer

Eh, getting riled about an Aerosmith thread because they offend you by continuing to record and tour is probably as silly as discussing the band. Take it or leave it, but I think enough of us here grew up with the band to appreciate a good look at them for the sake of nostalgia.

i used to think that Walk This Way and Sweet Emotion were cool songs. the only good ones by this band.

BUT

i dont really like the songs and after further review, i'm not digging them at all.

I apologize to those who like those songs and/or Janie's Got A Gun or that song from the bruce willis/ben affleck end-of-the-world-movie-bullshit song.

EDIT: I like the rolling riff on Sweet Emotion. I dont like Tyler's contribution.

I have to admit, I was pretty much addicted to "Get a Grip" when it came out. I was 13 years old.. One of the first Rock albums I bought.

I used to blast "Eat The Rich" on my Dads stereo... :rock

It was 'Permanent Vacation' that got me into the band in the 80s. Big cheesy rock anthems like 'Dude', 'Angel' and 'Rag Doll'. They was also the first band I ever saw live when I was about 15 years old. Opened with 'Rats in the Celler' and blew my little mind. They are a very easy target for critisism but there does seem to be a common thread running through this thread (?), namely everyone loved them when they were young and kind of outgrew them. I still bung on some Aerosmith (old and new) and it works for me in a nostalgic kind of way. That said 'Live Bootleg' is a great live album which still sounds good thirty years on. Give them some love. Love old rockers for what they were not what they turn into.

p.s: That 'Draw the Line' riff still gets me going.

They are a very easy target for critisism but there does seem to be a common thread running through this thread (?), namely everyone loved them when they were young and kind of outgrew them. I still bung on some Aerosmith (old and new) and it works for me in a nostalgic kind of way. Give them some love. Love old rockers for what they were not what they turn into.

Not to go off topic, but the exact same thing can be said for Weezer.. A band that I loved when I was a teenager, and now they are a novelty act for me.

Have you ever went to the place they use to live in Boston?

I lived a block away, same side of the street, in the mid-nineties. A full-on Aerosmith logo was carved into the wood of the front doorway. I imagine it was a fan's doing, but I still like to pretend it had been there since ..what, '72 was it?

Top 5ive Awesome Aerosmith Songs:

1) No More No More

2) Chip Away The Stone

3) Draw the Line

4) Sweet Emotion

5) Seasons Of Wither

Season of Wither never did it for me. The other four are top draw. My list would be:

Sweet Emotion

Draw The Line

Chip Away At The Stone

Toys In The Attic

Dream On

Damn, I gonna have to go and dig me out some of that stuff and give it a spin tonight.

I lived a block away, same side of the street, in the mid-nineties. A full-on Aerosmith logo was carved into the wood of the front doorway. I imagine it was a fan's doing, but I still like to pretend it had been there since ..what, '72 was it?

Speed has the book, she can look.

I was thinking of Boston (The Tea Party concert hall) last night, as I was listening to some live Fleetwood Mac (the old stuff). They were an influence on Aerosmith.

Speed has the book, she can look.

I was thinking of Boston (The Tea Party concert hall) last night, as I was listening to some live Fleetwood Mac (the old stuff). They were an influence on Aerosmith.

Yeah, they do a mean version of 'Rattleshake Snake', which I think is on the 'Pandora's Box' collection. I remember reading a while back about Joe Perry and his respect for Peter Green. not wanting to go off the subject, but some of the old Fleetwood Mac stuff is great. Another band that started nicely and then kind of turned into a joke. 'Green Manalishi', 'Oh Well' 'Black Magic Woman' 'Love That Burns'. Its all good. I Wonder what would of happened if Peter Green didn't lose it (Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan also lost the plot big time if I recall).

Guest Speed Racer

Take that Grey Poupon my friend and shove it up your ass!!

I totally thought their lyrics were poetry as a 12 year-old. :mellow

One thing that has always bothered me about them from the beginning has been their propensity to release a compilation track with one or two unreleased songs (9 compilations and 2 of the live albums have unreleased studio tracks). I know the labels have a lot more control over compilations than bands generally do, and this is certainly not unique to Aerosmith, but boy it frosts me.

Yeah, they do a mean version of 'Rattleshake Snake', which I think is on the 'Pandora's Box' collection. I remember reading a while back about Joe Perry and his respect for Peter Green. not wanting to go off the subject, but some of the old Fleetwood Mac stuff is great. Another band that started nicely and then kind of turned into a joke. 'Green Manalishi', 'Oh Well' 'Black Magic Woman' 'Love That Burns'. Its all good. I Wonder what would of happened if Peter Green didn't lose it (Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan also lost the plot big time if I recall).

Check the Youtube thread - I recently posted some video links you may want to look at.

Unless you are Eric Clapton, you are not going to get rich playing the Blues. People came and went (more than you think), so they changed into something else.

Guest Speed Racer

My top five are probably:

1. Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)

2. Movin' Out

3. Sweet Emotion

4. Chip Away the Stone

5. Riff and Roll

At least based on how much I listen to them. Crazy, What it Takes, Pink, Three Mile Smile and Draw the Line are honorable mentions.

Check the Youtube thread - I recently posted some video links you may want to look at.

Unless you are Eric Clapton, you are not going to get rich playing the Blues. People came and went (more than you think), so they changed into something else.

Is Peter Greens output since he returned to the music scene worth checking out? He had a lovely guitar sound, and his vocals on 'Man Of The World' floor me.

Guest Speed Racer

Steven Tyler Laid Off From Aerosmith as Band's Jobless Rate Hits 20%

BOSTON—After years of relative stability, the Aerosmith unemployment rate soared to an all-time high of 20 percent Monday following the downsizing of the band's vocal sector, Steven Tyler.

Tyler, already dangerously underweight, says he will struggle to put food on the table without a steady income.

The announcement of the largest-ever round of Aerosmith layoffs sent shock waves throughout the group, but band leaders said that four decades of perfect employment was "unrealistic" and that it was necessary to shed some of the graying, outmoded workforce.

"Explaining to a longtime Aerosmith employee that his or her job is being eliminated is one of the most difficult challenges we face in this business," Aerosmith manager Trudy Green said in a statement released this morning. "We thank Steven for his many years of loyal service, and wish him the best of luck in all his future endeavors."

Analysts speculate that the sector-wide layoff was a result of multiple factors, including redundancies in the singing-songwriting division, rising rehab fees that have cost the group millions, and a 34 percent decline in jump-kicks since 2003. In addition, some of Aerosmith's younger, more ambitious employees, such as Joe Perry, 57, are willing to sing and play an instrument at the same time, often for half the salary.

"Tying a scarf to a microphone stand is unfortunately no longer a marketable skill," IndustryWeek editor David Blanchard said. "To compete in today's job market, you need to diversify your skill set. Someone who can not only sing, but also play tambourine and haul heavy equipment, is infinitely more valuable to a company."

Aerosmith, whose unemployment rate has held steady at 0 percent since the start-up rock outfit went public in 1970, recently underwent a paradigm shift away from what many deemed an antiquated business model. In the early 2000s, Aerosmith stopped manufacturing hits and instead began to focus primarily on repackaging and redistributing its existing product. This, Green said, made Tyler dispensable.

Tyler was reportedly informed of the decision 45 minutes before the band was scheduled to go onstage for a performance, and was told to pack up his belongings and turn in his Aerosmith "wings" pin before the audience arrived.

"Thirty-eight years of work, and this is the thanks I get?" said Tyler, who was set to retire in just 18 months. "It's embarrassing. When [guitarist] Ray [Tabano] left back in '71, we all got treated to a nice dinner and some cake on his last day. And he was only in the band for five months."

"The only reason I came on with Aerosmith in the first place was the job security," added Tyler, who said that after nearly 40 years of waking up at 5 p.m. sharp and going to work, he won't know what to do with himself when unemployed. "And I liked being able to come in wearing an unbuttoned leather shirt and a leopard-print cowboy hat. Where else am I going to find a job like that?"

Morale among the remaining Aerosmith employees, Tyler's coworkers said, is low.

"I'm going to miss Steven," said rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford. "He was a good guy, and, I don't know, I thought he sang pretty well."

This cost-cutting personnel change is Aerosmith's most radical shift in economic model since the band's experiments as a drug-trafficking cartel from 1978 to 1984, their brief 1986 merger with Run-DMC, and their short-lived 1994 attempt to switch over to fabricating microchips.

"This restructuring is exactly what Aerosmith needs right now," said Justin Levine, an analyst at Lehman Brothers. "Frankly, they've been in brand decline since that Super Bowl halftime show with Britney Spears."

"Everyone was hurt badly in the big 1998 Armageddon Bubble," said Bill Griffeth, host of CNBC's Power Lunch. "At that point, practically everyone—even members of the younger generation—bought into Aerosmith, but it was clear that they would not be able to sustain that level of global interest. In truth, purchasing any of their material since Get A Grip has involved a substantial level of risk."

Tyler is not the only one in the industry to be affected by the recent recession. In January, Bad Company was outsourced to China, and just last week, Don Henley of the Eagles was replaced by a drum machine.

Guest Speed Racer

Train Kept a Rolling -- their version is much nastier (and by nastier I mean better) than the Yardbirds'.

The Yardbird's version is a tall glass of 2% milk. I love them, but every song of the Yardbird's that Aerosmith covered was about 300% more badass.