Tyler quits Aerosmith?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw these guys on 11/18/78, when they still kicked ass. According to etree, the set list was as follows, although I seem to remember a Sweet Emotion in there.

Big Ten Inch Record

Chip Away At The Stone

Draw The Line

Dream On

Guitar Solo

Lick And A Promise

Rats In The Cellar

Reefer Headed Woman

Same Old Song and Dance

Three Mile Smile

Toys In The Attic

Train Kept A Rollin'

Walk This Way

Top 5ive Awesome Aerosmith Songs:

1) No More No More

2) Chip Away The Stone

3) Draw the Line

4) Sweet Emotion

5) Seasons Of Wither

Excellent. I'd add these for a top 10:

Mama Kin

Adam's Apple

Back In The Saddle

Spaced

Toys

• 1 month later...

This explains quite a bit of the brouhaha from last month...

Steven Tyler Returns to Rehab

by Natalie Finn

AP

Steven Tyler needs more than time to get healthy.

The Aerosmith frontman has checked into rehab for the second time in as many years, again to address chronic pain he suffers from all the wear and tear that rocking out has caused him over the years.

"With the help of my family and team of medical professionals, I am taking responsibility for the management of my pain and am eager to be back on the stage and in the recording studio with my bandmates Joe Perry, Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford," Tyler said in a statement.

"I love Aerosmith; I love performing as the lead singer in Aerosmith," he adds. "I am grateful for all of the support and love I am receiving and am committed to getting things taken care of."

It's a good thing the band didn't really break up then.

Not helping Tyler's bid to avoid pain-med addiction or Aerosmith's bid to maintain its hard-core image, the 61-year-old Tyler broke his shoulder in August when he fell off a stage while performing in South Dakota.

The band ultimately scrapped the remainder of its tour, and rumors arose not long afterward that the rest of Aerosmith planned to move on without its lead singer.

Tyler entered rehab in May 2008, purportedly to recuperate from a series of operations he had on his feet. Because of the intense pain, he figured round-the-clock oversight of his recovery was the best choice in order to manage his treatment, considering his history of drug abuse.

"My family and I are in complete support of my dad's decision to seek treatment," daughter Liv Tyler told People, which first reported the rehab rerun. "He is a courageous man. We love him and are so proud that he is getting help to balance his pain management, not just for himself but for his family, friends and fans."

Uncle Salty

No More, No More

Round And Round

Sight For Sore Eyes

Think About It (Yardbirds)

I would add "Nobody's fault" as well. I have listened to Rocks far more than any other Aerosmith record.

Guest Speed Racer

Re-reading Walk This Way and re-listening to most of their records has been a great way to close out this year. And Tyler re-entering rehab is about as shocking as him making a lyric out of a sex pun. Hope he finds the help he needs.

I kind of resent my post being merged here.

Why resurrect a thread where the last post was a month and a half ago? The post about Tyler going into rehab (again) is certainly worthy of its own thread.

If an interesting tidbit about a new Dylan album comes out are we going to resurrect that thread?

Guest Speed Racer

The post about Tyler going into rehab (again) is certainly worthy of its own thread.

Probably because his leaving Aerosmith had a lot to do with the same things that led him to enter rehab. Or not. We could speculate about that, but why not do it here?

I have also read that the band had decided to go on with a new singer regardless of what he does. Maybe things have changed now. It could be that he is really too physically fouled up to put on the type of show he likes to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Aerosmith To Hold Auditions For Replacement Singer

Aerosmith has begun its search for a singer to replace Steven Tyler -- though whether it's permanent or temporary is uncertain.

Guitarist Joe Perry told Canada's QMI Agency that the group is "already getting the word out there. The word's been out there for a while." After his Canadian swing with Motley Crue -- which ends Feb. 5 in Montreal -- Perry said that Aerosmith will "start having some auditions, making some phone calls. Hopefully, we'll have found a new singer by the summer, and Aerosmith will be able to go back out on the road."

Tyler is currently in rehab for an addiction to painkillers after a tumultuous last few months of 2009. In his Dec. 22 announcement, Tyler indicated that he planned to "enthusiastically be writing, recording and performing with Aerosmith as soon as things are handled." Perry, however, contends that it may take awhile for those things to be handled, longer than he and the rest of Aerosmith -- guitarist Brad Whitford, bassist Tom Hamilton and drummer Joey Kramer -- care to wait as they gear up for the group's 40th anniversary in 2011.

"It's kind of hard to get a straight answer about what's going on," Perry said. "He has to have leg surgery and foot surgery and it's basically going to take him out of the picture for about a year, year and a half. So, in the meantime, the rest of the band wants to play. And I want to play with the other guys in Aerosmith. So the four of us are just making our plans. We're gonna find somebody to get in there and fill that spot. Just like when Tom was sick -- we got David Hull to come in and play bass. When Brad was sick, we got somebody else to come in and play for him. That's basically how I look at it; we need another singer to fill in."

Perry would not mention any candidates for the job yet but did say there are "a few people we've talked to, and we'll see how it goes...As far as auditions go, we'll probably just sit around and have a couple of drinks and see if we get along. Because we're already gonna know that they can sing." He also said he felt it would be "appropriate" to for the new configuration to work under the Aerosmith name, though he expressed hope for Tyler's eventual return to the lineup.

"I'm ready to write with him, to play on stage with him anytime he's physically ready and wants to do it," Perry said. "But it's really up to him....And the last things he said to the press were that he wanted to work with the band and sing with the band, so we'll see."

The guitarist, meanwhile, is keeping busy with the Joe Perry Project. After the Canadian run Perry is expected to play more U.S. dates (a handful have already been announced) before heading to the U.K. in April to pen for Bad Company. He's also signed on for the Show of Peace concert on April 17 in Beijing -- on his own, not with Aerosmith as has been reported in some outlets.

You're Aerosmith: you can't take a fucking year off while your leader, the face of the band since its inception, rehabs? Assholes. Also, idiots. For the first time in decades your upcoming tour would actually have some buzz to it.

I bet he will say something. For the majority of the world, Aerosmith is Steven Tyler (and right behind him, Joe Perry). And Joe just implied that Steven is replaceable, just like the guys in the band you never hear about (unless something bad happens to them).

This whole deal may have one good thing about it - someone is putting up a whole bunch of Aerosmith shows at Dime a Dozen. I have not grabbed any of them, but I might grab the 74 show that someone posted that other day.

They must need to buy another mansion, or another sports car.

This does not surprise me though. I said as much a while back. I am surprised they have not named that dude as the singer Joe has singing for his band.

Guest Speed Racer

You're Aerosmoth: you can't take a fucking year off while your leader, the face of the band since its inception, rehabs? Assholes. Also, idiots. For the first time in decades your upcoming tour would actually have some buzz to it.

Exactly. It's not rocket science: Brad and Tom, who have both been replaced on legs of some tours, are NOT the Aerosmith brand. Perry and Tyler are the visual (and vocal) brand presentation of Aerosmith, and you can't replace either of them - and CERTAINLY not Tyler.

Replacing your lead singer and founding member the year of your 40th anniversary tour is the dumbest thing they've done since releasing Rock in a Hard Place.

I'm sure he'd feel much worse if he weren't under such heavy sedation.

Who knows.

It could be that he knows they will probably never sell a ton of albums again. So I guess touring is all they have left. I think Joe must forget that he was once replaced.

I figure they will name that guy Joe hired, or find someone else who can imitate Steven better. That is what these sort of bands do these days. It certainly won't work if they get someone who sings the songs in a totally different way.