“It’s more fun talking politics with people who agree with you”

So, these "rich folk" should just pay for everything? Base income tax increases, extra "war" tax, 5+% for the insurance bullshit. What else?

See Jules. These poor "rich folk" you cry for got a tax break under President Bush that should never have happened. We didnt believe in raising their taxes from where they were under President Clinton we just didnt think they needed a tax cut before the middle and lower income taxpayers.

Democrats believe in balancing the budget and paying for what we spend. Were not able to do that this year but we will get it done and this is a fine first step.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they not?

You didn't answer my question.

See Jules. These poor "rich folk" you cry for got a tax break under President Bush that should never have happened. We didnt believe in raising their taxes from where they were under President Clinton we just didnt think they needed a tax cut before the middle and lower income taxpayers.

So, what should the total be? 60%? 70%? 90%?

So, these "rich folk" should just pay for everything? Base income tax increases, extra "war" tax, 5+% for the insurance bullshit. What else?

What else, I don’t know, maybe we should focus on the individuals profiting from these wars, defense contractors, former vice-presidents and other members of the previous administration – those sorts of folks.

You didn't answer my question.

So, what should the total be? 60%? 70%? 90%?

Exactly what it was in 2000. the last time we balanced the budget.

Again, we didnt want it to go higher we just did not think they needed a cut. seems to me pretty obvious where those tax breaks got us but thats subjective of course

Well, the middle to lower income folk are paying with their sons and daughters lives.

What about those rich folks who have lost their children to this war? You don't think that maybe you could have hurt someones feelings by talking out yer ass again, do ya?

Guest Speed Racer

The 5% tax would affect less than 2% of Americans. As GON points out, maybe these taxes would serve as an incentive to those profiting from the war to assess what we stand to gain from our continued stake.

Exactly what it was in 2000. the last time we balanced the budget.

Again, we didnt want it to go higher we just did not think they needed a cut. seems to me pretty obvious where those tax breaks got us but thats subjective of course

"We"?

The tax breaks didn't get us anywhere.

What else, I don’t know, maybe we should focus on the individuals profiting from these wars, defense contractors, former vice-presidents and other members of the previous administration – those sorts of folks.

Specifics?

For example, there is a lot of equipment being made to support the war (trucks, aircraft, other misc. gear). I assume these are the "defense contractors" you mention. Anyone making money related to this manufacturing should be taxed?

The 5% tax would affect less than 2% of Americans. As GON points out, maybe these taxes would serve as an incentive to those profiting from the war to assess what we stand to gain from our continued stake.

I don't care if it affects 2 people. Doesn't make it right.

What about those rich folks who have lost their children to this war? You don't think that maybe you could have hurt someones feelings by talking out yer ass again, do ya?

Middle and lower income folks have always lost their lives to war disproportionably.

As if you've ever given a shit about hurting someone's feelings.

Specifics?

It’s the day before Thanksgiving, I’m feeling charitable, so, we’ll just stick it to the top 9 war profiteers.

CACI

Titan

Bechtel

Aegis Defense Services

Custer Battles

General Dynamics

Nour USA

Chevron

ExxonMobile

whoops - how could I have forgotten Haliburton and Black Water.

Oh and christ, how could I forget Raytheon.

Guest Speed Racer

I also wouldn't be opposed to an extraoridinary income tax option applied to those top 2%, the proceeds from which could then go directly to the government program of their choice, based on a shortlist of federal organizations (education, health, military, interior, etc.).

I'm not exactly in support of forcing charitibility, but I think our nation's history has made a strong case for the tradition of calling on extraordinary earners to have extraordinary responsibilities for their money. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a choice where that money goes, however.

It’s the day before Thanksgiving, I’m feeling charitable, so, we’ll just stick it to the top 9 war profiteers.

CACI

Titan

Bechtel

Aegis Defense Services

Custer Battles

General Dynamics

Nour USA

Chevron

ExxonMobile

whoops - how could I have forgotten Haliburton and Black Water.

So, they should be penalized/taxed/etc. for making a profit because the product they are profiting from is supporting an unpopular war?

Is that right?

So, they should be penalized/taxed/etc. for making a profit because the product they are profiting from is supporting an unpopular war?

Is that right?

They wouldn’t even have to consider it a tax, call it a refund, for all those overcharges.

Middle and lower income folks have always lost their lives to war disproportionably.

As if you've ever given a shit about hurting someone's feelings.

The hurt a parent feels does not know numbers or ratios.

I can go off just like the next guy but I do try to keep other peoples feelings into consideration while visiting this board. I find you, on the other hand, quite mean spirited. However, I do want to thank you. Your snooty comments, tedious quotes and blog links have helped reinforce some of my feelings.

All of today's talk reminds me a lot of John Cusack's movie that was in limited release in 2008.

Have you heard of War, Inc. ?

"A political satire set in Turaqistan, a country occupied by an American private corporation run by a former US Vice-President. In an effort to monopolize the opportunities the war-torn nation offers, the corporation's CEO hires a troubled hit man, to kill a Middle East oil minister. Now, struggling with his own growing demons, the assassin must pose as the corporation's Trade Show Producer in order to pull off this latest hit, while maintaining his cover by organizing the high-profile wedding of Yonica Babyyeah an outrageous Middle Eastern pop star, and keeping a sexy left wing reporter in check."

It's definitely worth a rental. I own it and I managed to see it twice in theaters. There's one scene that is completely unnerving.

Basically, it says that the same company that sells the people of Turaqistan prosthetic limbs is also the same company responsible for bombing the shit out of them.

Plus, you can't go wrong with Dan Ayrkroyd as a Dick Cheney clone.

OMG, she totally did that on Gossip Girl last week, too!!!

From now until tomorrow morning, everyone who posts in this thread is also required to post (and it's got to be sincere, don't be snarky :nono ) in the Giving Thanks thread. Let's try to head into Thanksgiving on a more peaceful note. :yes