Top 10 Female Artists?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a surprisingly incredible movie!!

The surprising thing for me was that Bjork was in a Lars von Trier film. That it was good (and had the effect of leaving people speechless and stunned) was not surprising in the least, as anyone familiar with von ttrier will attest. For those of you who are not--- got check it out- "Breaking the Waves," "The Idiots," "Dogville," etc...all in many ways vastly different but unmistakably Lars von Trier. His last one isn't supposed to be so good though,...sorry, digression from topic thread finished, you can resume...

Nice call, man! :cheers God, I love that girl - when I listen to stuff like "Prologue" or "Ashes Are Burning" it gives me chills.

yeah, i love renaissance up through song for all seasons

they were tremendous live

they just played around the corner from me with annie and one other original member but at $75 or whatever ... nah. not for two original members

i did see an annie solo show about two years ago and although the material was dreadful (only one renaissance track) her voice still gives you chills

Many good ones have been mentioned so far.

But my Top 10 would include the following 2, who haven't been mentioned yet (!):

Victoria Williams

Lisa Germano

Vic Williams is an acquired taste. if she would just sing 'normally', i would love her.

1) Joni Mitchell

2) Billie Holiday

3) Emmylou Harris

4) Aretha Franklin

5) Nina Simone

6) Grace Slick

7) Sinead O'Connor

8) Janis Joplin

9) Nico

10) Debbie Harry

even though she's essentially dreadful, there is something about Nico...i just can't stop listening when she's on.

even though she's essentially dreadful, there is something about Nico...i just can't stop listening when she's on.

I find her voice utterly compelling, and that includes the VU songs. I know some people like Lou's versions better, but I think there's a reason she sang those songs originally. All Tomorrow's Parties is one of the great tracks of the 60s, IMHO.

People tend to forget, when someone who doesn't speak English well learns to sing in English, they will still have a pretty heavy accent. Only in America do people get up in arms about it.

there are way too many singer-songwriter types on these lists...

Yea, well sure, but that is mostly because people rarely listen to female vocalists anymore. The odd jazz, blues, R&B singer gets thrown on these lists, but there are plenty more who get no mention at all. (Note that not a single soul replied to my post on Sophie Tucker...not that I really expected one actually..)

LouieB

Yea, well sure, but that is mostly because people rarely listen to female vocalists anymore. The odd jazz, blues, R&B singer gets thrown on these lists, but there are plenty more who get no mention at all. (Note that not a single soul replied to my post on Sophie Tucker...not that I really expected one actually..)

LouieB

my comment was tongue-in-cheek, since this *is* a board ostensibly based around Wilco, which at the heart of their music is that same sort of band. and also riffing on that previous thread re: telling people what to like.

:D

A "red hot mama" for sure. ;)

Check out my non-threaded thread...you might find it interesting, including the links.

my comment was tongue-in-cheek, since this *is* a board ostensibly based around Wilco, which at the heart of their music is that same sort of band. and also riffing on that previous thread re: telling people what to like.

:D

Yea, me too basically. These threads always turn into a list of every person remotely like what we are talking about including a few oddballs thrown in (Elizabeth Cotton wasn't much of a singer). I just think it is funny that once people get started all the most obscure artists get mentioned. (No one seems to have mentioned all the great jazz singers such as Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaugh, but then again they aren't singersongwriters either..)

LouieB