An Interesting Parallel

Alright don't jump on me for this. Perhaps its been brought up before but I think the transition between Bull Black Nova and You and I is similar to the transition between I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Here Comes the Sun in the effect it achieves. Kind of a calm after the storm. A great sense of relief.

Alright don't jump on me for this. Perhaps its been brought up before but I think the transition between Bull Black Nova and You and I is similar to the transition between I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Here Comes the Sun in the effect it achieves. Kind of a calm after the storm. A great sense of relief.

I think that the only problem with this theory is the the Beatles would have probably though in terms of two sides when it came to sequencing. On the record album, the first side ends with I Want You (She's So Heavy) and the second side begins with Here Comes the Sun.

As a matter of fact, my first copy of this album was in a new kinda a format emerging back then when this was released - a cassette.

On the cassette the sequence was actually changed. Here Comes the Sun was actually moved to open the album and Come Togeteher opened the second side. So in the sequence on the cassette, Come Together actually followed I Want You (She's So Heavy) - but you had to flip it over to the second side. I got used to this sequence and I remember how weird it sounded to me when I finally bought the LP and Come Together opened the album instead of Here Comes the Sun.

It also goes to show you what a record company could do to your work back then!

On the cassette the sequence was actually changed. Here Comes the Sun was actually moved to open the album and Come Togeteher opened the second side. So in the sequence on the cassette, Come Together actually followed I Want You (She's So Heavy) - but you had to flip it over to the second side.

Ummmm, what?!?! Is this a joke?

Ummmm, what?!?! Is this a joke?

That was kind of my reaction too. When it came to tapes, the record companies didn't give a shit about sequencing at all. In fact 8 tracks were the worst with songs sometimes broken between "sides" (there were four for those of you too young to remember) so that songs were completely mixed up.

I can't imagine that those programming cassettes gave it any thought at all.

LouieB

The Beatles were good and did lots of things. Virtually any good album these days will have some things on it that remind me, in some ways, of the Beatles. That doesn't make the album Beatlesque. I'm with Winston Legthigh.

The Beatles were good and did lots of things. Virtually any good album these days will have some things on it that remind me, in some ways, of the Beatles. That doesn't make the album Beatlesque. I'm with Winston Legthigh.

Me too, except I think they're all Beatlesque.

Guest Runaway Jim

You have a good point, Matt. Certainly, the influence of the Beatles is heard on so many records.

But to me, when I listen to Summerteeth, I always think "Jeff (and gang) must have been on a huge Beatles kick while writing this stuff" more so than I do with any other Wilco album.

I definitely see the obvious "Hate It Here" and "You Never Know" Beatles influences, but nothing else on either of those albums strikes me as very Beatlesque.

But what the hell do I know?

You have a good point, Matt. Certainly, the influence of the Beatles is heard on so many records.

But to me, when I listen to Summerteeth, I always think "Jeff (and gang) must have been on a huge Beatles kick while writing this stuff" more so than I do with any other Wilco album.

I always debate whether Pieholden Suite is more Brian Wilson or Paul McCartney. There's no mistaking "My Darling" -- that's all John Lennon.

Nobody's going to nominate AGiB as a prime candidate in this discussion. But it does have its entry, song division, in "Hummingbird".

I think its obvious its Beatles' sequencing inspired. Look at YHF, I think thats really the most beatlesque album in terms of being a concept album (if only in general theme and between little nooks and crannies that tie it together, and also make it so endless)

I love the gear shift of bull black nova into you and I, it's almost got the feeling of flipping vinyl sides listening to it on an ipod.

That was kind of my reaction too. When it came to tapes, the record companies didn't give a shit about sequencing at all. In fact 8 tracks were the worst with songs sometimes broken between "sides" (there were four for those of you too young to remember) so that songs were completely mixed up.

I can't imagine that those programming cassettes gave it any thought at all.

LouieB

Actually it would make a difference and this is why they would give it some thought:

Side one of Abbey Road clocks in at approximately 24 minutes 55 seconds.

Side two has a time of about 22 minutes 28 seconds.

Come Together runs 4 minutes 20 seconds.

Here Comes the Sun runs 3 minutes 5 seconds.

So switch these two songs and side one then runs 23 minutes 45 seconds and side two runs 23 minutes 41 seconds.

My original point was that record companies didn't then (and do not now) give a shit about an album's sequence.

But tell them that they can save over two minutes of tape on each cassette by changing the sequence and they'll wet themselves.

This is gonna sound naive to say, but it's just sad to me when a record company is more than willing to distort they way an artist's work is percieved in order to make more money.

The same thing happened when everyone was rushing to reissue albums onto CD's.

Every company was going on the cheap.

I remember that the CD version of the Rolling Stones' "Hot Rocks" had a completely different version of "Time Is On My Side" than was was released on vinyl.

I felt so ripped off - double CD's weren't cheap back in the '80's.

Sorry for the rant. Too many post turkey beers

For anyone interested...

Please Please Me

Original inlay / Original inlay reverse

Gold inlay

The Beatles first LP memorably opened with Paul's "1,2,3,4" count-in to "I Saw Her Standing There", but not so on the cassette version which kicks-off with "Misery".

A Side

1. Misery [A2]

2. Chains [A4]

3. P.S I Love You [b2]

4. Do You Want To Know A Secret [b4]

5. I Saw Her Standing There [A1]

6. Ask Me Why [A6]

7. Baby It's You [b3]

B Side

1. Please Please Me [A7]

2. Love Me Do [b1]

3. A Taste Of Honey [b5]

4. There's A Place [b6]

5. Anna (Go To Him) [A3]

6. Boys [A5]

7. Twist And Shout [b7]

With The Beatles

Gold inlay

A Side

1. All My Loving [A3]

2. Little Child [A5]

3. Devil In Her Heart [b5]

4. Not A Second Time [b6]

5. Please Mr. Postman [A7]

6. Hold Me Tight [b2]

7. You Really Got A Hold On Me [b3]

B Side

1. It Won't Be Long [A1]

2. All I've Got To Do [A2]

3. Till There Was You [A6]

4. I Wanna Be Your Man [b4]

5. Don't Bother Me [A4]

6. Roll Over Beethoven [b1]

7. Money [b7]

A Hard Day's Night

Gold inlay

The original album presented all of the film songs together on Side A. The 1970's tape version completely obliterates that concept.

A Side

1. I Should Have Known Better [A2]

2. When I Get Home [b4]

3. I'll Be Back [b6]

4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You [A4]

5. Tell Me Why [A6]

6. Any Time At All [b1]

7. I'll Cry Instead [b2]

B Side

1. A Hard Day's Night [A1]

2. Can't Buy Me Love [A7]

3. Things We Said Today [b3]

4. If I Fell [A3]

5. And I Love Her [A5]

6. You Can't Do That [b5]

Beatles For Sale

Gold inlay

A Side

1. No reply [A1]

2. Baby's In Black [A3]

3. Eight Days A Week [b1]

4. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party [b5]

5. I'll Follow The Sun [A5]

6. What You're Doing [b6]

7. Honey Don't [b3]

B Side

1. I'm A Loser [A2]

2. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby [b7]

3. Rock And Roll Music [A4]

4. Mr Moonlight [A6]

5. Words Of Love [b2]

6. Kansas City* [A7]

7. Every Little Thing [b4]

*Incorrect title as on inlay, it should be listed as a medley with "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!"

Help!

Gold inlay

As with the "A Hard Day's Night" tape, the idea of the film tracks all being collected together on Side A is completely done away with.

A Side

1. I Need You [A4]

2. Another Girl [A5]

3. I've Just Seen A Face [b5]

4. Yesterday [b6]

5. The Night Before [A2]

6. Ticket To Ride [A7]

7. Act Naturally [b1]

B Side

1. Help! [A1]

2. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away [A3]

3. You're Going To Lose That Girl [A6]

4. It's Only Love [b2]

5. You Like Me Too Much [b3]

6. Tell Me What You See [b4]

7. Dizzy Miss Lizzy [b7]

Rubber Soul

Gold inlay

A Side

1. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) [A2]

2. You Won't See Me [A3]

3. Think For Yourself [A5]

4. I'm Looking Through You [b3]

5. Nowhere Man [A4]

6. Michelle [A7]

7. Wait [b5]

B Side

1. Drive My Car [A1]

2. If I Needed Someone [b6]

3. What Goes On [b1]

4. Girl [b2]

5. In My Life [b4]

6. The Word [A6]

7. Run For Your Life [b7]

Revolver

Gold inlay

A Side

1. Good Day Sunshine [b1]

2. And Your Bird Can Sing [b2]

3. Doctor Robert [b4]

4. Want To Tell You* [b5]

5. Taxman [A1]

6. I'm Only Sleeping [A3]

7. Yellow Submarine [A6]

B Side

1. Eleanor Rigby [A2]

2. Here, There And Everywhere [A5]

3. For No One [b3]

4. Got To Get You Into My Life [b6]

5. Love You Too [A4]

6. She Said She Said [A7]

7. Tomorrow Never Knows [b7]

*Titled incorrectly on at least one version of the "Revolver" cassette inlay, it should be "I Want To Tell You"

A Collection of Beatles Oldies (But Goldies)

Gold inlay

The first Beatles UK compilation album (released for Christmas 1966) was also included in the 1970's Beatles cassette collection.

This album was re-issued on cassette in October 1983 on EMI's budget "Fame" label with a blue inlay instead of Gold.

A Side

1. She Loves You [A1]

2. From Me To You [A2]

3. We Can Work It Out [A3]

4. Ticket To Ride [b5]

5. Help! [A4]

6. Yesterday [A6]

7. Day Tripper [b3]

8. I Want To Hold Your Hand [b8]

B Side

1. Michelle [A5]

2. I Feel Fine [A7]

3. Can't Buy Me Love [b1]

4. Bad Boy [b2]

5. Yellow Submarine [A8]

6. A Hard Day's Night [b4]

7. Paperback Writer [b6]

8. Eleanor Rigby [b7]

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Gold inlay

The first Beatles cassette ever issued and the running order on the tape was identical to the album.

Unlike on both the CD and the 1987 cassette version, the original and gold versions of this cassette include a version of the "Sgt.Pepper Inner Groove" that was NOT artificially repeated and then faded - on these cassettes you hear it once only, this is how it would have been heard on the original master.

Magical Mystery Tour

Original gold inlay

This album was originally an American compilation (released there in November 1967), Parlophone in the UK merely issued a double EP of the TV film tracks (which can all be found on Side 1 of the US album, the Side 2 tracks had already been released on singles earlier that year).

A UK vinyl album edition was not pressed until 1976, but the UK cassette was released three years earlier and curiously it had a stereo version of "Baby You're A Rich Man" (which was slightly shorter than the mono version found elsewhere), this was because the cassette used an all stereo German album master of "Magical Mystery Tour" (first issued in Germany in 1971) whilst the UK vinyl version used the 1967 American master which had mono versions of "All You Need Is Love", "Baby You're A Rich Man" and "Penny Lane". The German master was later used for the CD edition.

The running order of the 1973 tape was identical to the vinyl album, the inlay titles the cassette as "Magical Mystery Tour & Other Titles"

The Beatles (a.k.a. "The White Album")

Original inlay

Gold inlay

The original cassette replaced the embossed title on the vinyl sleeve with light grey lettering printed at an odd angle, this design was retained for the all-gold re-issue. The XDR version in 1987 had the lettering re-straightened and was printed in black (the CD cover also had re-straightened lettering but retained the lighter shade of grey).

A Side

1. Back In The U.S.S.R. [A1]

2. Dear Prudence [A2]

3. Glass Onion [A3]

4. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da [A4]

5. Wild Honey Pie [A5]

6. The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill * [A6]

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps [A7]

8. Martha My Dear [b1]

9. I'm So Tired [b2]

10. Blackbird [b3]

11. Piggies [b4]

12. Rocky Racoon [b5]

13. Don't Pass Me By [b6]

14. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? [b7]

15. I Will [b8]

16. Julia [b9]

17. Long Long Long [C7]

B Side

1. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey [C4]

2. Sexy Sadie [C5] **

3. Helter Skelter [C6]

4. Revolution 1 [D1]

5. Honey Pie [D2]

6. Savoy Truffle [D3]

7. Goodnight [D6]

8. Happiness is a warm gun [A8]

9. Birthday [C1]

10. Yer Blues [C2]

11. Mother Nature's Son [C3]

12. Cry Baby Cry [D4]

13. Revolution 9 [D5]

* The title on the gold inlay was shortened to "Bungalow Bill"

** Incorrectly spelt as "Sexie Sadie" on at least one version of the cassette label.

The 1987 cassette re-issue, as with the original album, was spread over 4 sides as it had probably been realized that extended length tapes were more prone to snapping or getting chewed up in the cassette player.

Yellow Submarine

Gold top inlay

A Side

1. Yellow Submarine [A1]

2. Only A Northern Song [A2]

3. All You Need Is Love [A6]

4. Hey Bulldog [A4]

5. It's All Too Much [A5]

B Side

1. All Together Now [A3]

[George Martin's Orchestrated Film Score]*

* George Martin's tracks were presented in the same order on tape as the original vinyl

Abbey Road

Gold inlay

A Side

1. Here Comes The Sun [b1]

2. Something [A2]

3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer [A3]

4. Oh! Darling [A4]

5. Octopus's Garden [A5]

6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) [A6]

B Side

1. Come Together [A1]

2. Because [b2]

3. You Never Give Me Your Money [b3]

4. Sun King [b4]

5. Mean Mr. Mustard [b5]

6. Polythene Pam [b6]

7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window [b7]

8. Golden Slumbers [b8]

9. Carry That Weight [b9]

10. The End [b10]

11. Her Majesty [b11] *

*Track not listed on the cassette.

"Abbey Road" was the 2nd Beatle album to be issued on cassette and the first to change the track order (albeit the mere swapping of "Come Together" and "Here Comes The Sun", yet this single switch had the impact of placing both Harrison songs together and ending his spotlight contributions after the 2nd track). From memory, I recall that there was a fade to silence between "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "Sun King" (On the vinyl and CD, these two tracks are crossfaded with an 'insects' loop and bell chime).

Let It Be

Gold inlay

A Side

1. Two Of us [A1]

2. I Me Mine [A4]

3. One After 909 [b2]

4. Across The Universe [A3]

5. Dig It [A5]

6. Let It Be [A6]

B Side

1. Maggie Mae [A7]

2. Dig A Pony [A2]

3. The Long And Winding Road [b3]

4. I Got A Feeling [b1] *

5. For You Blue [b4]

6. Get Back [b5]

* Incorrectly titled on the inlay, it should read "I've Got A Feeling"

Seems bizzare that EMI would do this to their most famous and succesful act, doesn't it? Apple would sue their asses if they tried it now.

Guest McGuffin

I'm not really feeling a parallel, probably because I would never compare a great song like Here Comes the Sun to the tripe that is You and I, which is such a terrible let down following BBN or even as a stand alone track. It doesn't work for me in any way.

Nobody's going to nominate AGiB as a prime candidate in this discussion. But it does have its entry, song division, in "Hummingbird".

I remember reading an article where Jeff was discussing the transition between BBN and You and I... he actually compared it to the transition on AGiB from Spiders to Muzzle. I quite enjoy both of those transitions.

Not that this has anything to do with the Beatles...