Amazon.com Black Friday

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I am really tired tonight, but to me LP means one of those black things with holes and grooves. The prospect of getting the new Neko case on vinyl for five bucks sucked me in, only to find out that LP to this poster means MP3s.

LouieB

You couldn't be more wrong. The physical product taking up space is what makes me love CD's and records, and refuse to buy MP3s. Not to mention the vastly greater sound.

no one can tell the difference in sound. it is nice to have artwork. i can live without it though. :music

Ah, the eternal argument. Space vs no-space and sound you can't really hear.

The real difference here is that some folks like to collect shit (like me) and others think it is a royal pain in the ass. If you play music on iPods and computers you really can't tell the difference between MP3s and anything else. If you have a full blown stereo with a turntable, getting LPs is hip at the moment. Carry on.

LouieB

no one can tell the difference in sound. it is nice to have artwork. i can live without it though. :music

You can tell the difference in sound if your listening isn't limited solely to iPods and MP3's. I don't have a great stereo by any means, but I can easily tell the difference when I listen to a CD through the stereo, as opposed to my iPod through good headphones or computer speakers. Hell, I can hear a difference when I replace a leak of an album with a CD rip. It's definitely better quality.

I also love the collecting aspect. Holding the physical product is great, as is having the art/liner notes/etc. Paying for something I can't see is bizarre.

I agree - some people can tell the difference in sound. This is particularity noticeable depending on the bit rate, and what was used to rip/create the Mp3 files. I think the bit rate of Amazon's Mp3 files are 256. I don't know how they get the files though. I suppose that is nice that they offer such files for a low price, but I am still not willing to pay for Mp3 files. I don't mess with Mp3 files unless it is the only way I can get a song, or album (usually something that is out of print, found on a blog somewhere). It would be nice if they sold FLAC files. I suppose that may happen someday.

I wish they would lower the price on some cds I want that are out of print, and thus, being sold by people for tons of money. LOL.

Speaking of out of print CDs, I found a copy of Queens of the Stone Age's debut, long out of print, at a used book store for $5. The feeling of finding stuff like that is why I still buy/hunt for physical music formats.

That's always a nice thing. The cd I am looking for is this:

The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac: 1968 to 1970

I have Mp3s of the tracks (I am grateful for that), but I want the real deal.

What is funny to me, is that if you look on the page for the cd above, you will see a listing for Fleetwood Mac: Showbiz Blues 1968-1970. It is 20 bucks. I have that one, and that is what I paid for it. Why on earth is the companion to that set going for so much money? These sort of things boggle the mind.

That's always a nice thing. The cd I am looking for is this:

The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac: 1968 to 1970

I have Mp3s of the tracks (I am grateful for that), but I want the real deal.

What is funny to me, is that if you look on the page for the cd above, you will see a listing for Fleetwood Mac: Showbiz Blues 1968-1970. It is 20 bucks. I have that one, and that is what I paid for it. Why on earth is the companion to that set going for so much money? These sort of things boggle the mind.

Geeze...

I don't get that either. But it'll pop up somewhere eventually. This QOTSA album is on Amazon for $50+ I believe. It's the kind of thing you won't likely find in a record store, since they'll know what things are worth. But thrift stores, and anywhere else that sell used CDs are great places for that shit. I bought a copy of Prince's Black Album, also hard to find, at the same used book store for $3. That feeling is so much better than finding a rapidshare link for a rare album.

Geeze...

I don't get that either. But it'll pop up somewhere eventually. This QOTSA album is on Amazon for $50+ I believe. It's the kind of thing you won't likely find in a record store, since they'll know what things are worth. But thrift stores, and anywhere else that sell used CDs are great places for that shit. I bought a copy of Prince's Black Album, also hard to find, at the same used book store for $3. That feeling is so much better than finding a rapidshare link for a rare album.

I use to find treasures like that at the mall, at some chain record store. Every Christmas they would have a bin of stuff they wanted to get rid of - for 5 or 10 dollars. I found 200 Motels (VHS), and a Moby Grape cd there. This was pre-internet. Of course, the store is long since gone. It has been a long time since I had a place to go and find such things.

I'm pretty lucky. My home has a bunch of good record stores nearby, as well as thrift stores and other places. Not to further hijack this thread, but the other day I stopped in the Salvation Army, and started flipping through the LPs. Someone must have just given them a box of records, because I ended up with 14 great jazz records from Miles, Brubeck, Stan Kenton from the 50's. All in great condition, no scratches, and minimal cover wear. 75 cents each. I paid $10.50 total.

Hell, one of the ones I bought was Kind of Blue. That one was on the end of the rack. I have no idea how no one snatched that one up. I must have gotten there at the perfect time. Kind of Blue, Time Out, and numerous other jazz classics for 75 cents each. I was on cloud nine leaving that place.

I'm pretty lucky. My home has a bunch of good record stores nearby, as well as thrift stores and other places. Not to further hijack this thread, but the other day I stopped in the Salvation Army, and started flipping through the LPs. Someone must have just given them a box of records, because I ended up with 14 great jazz records from Miles, Brubeck, Stan Kenton from the 50's. All in great condition, no scratches, and minimal cover wear. 75 cents each. I paid $10.50 total. Each of these things alone is more than that in a legit record store.

Hell, one of the ones I bought was Kind of Blue. That one was on the end of the rack. I have no idea how no one snatched that one up. I must have gotten there at the perfect time. Kind of Blue, Time Out, and numerous other jazz classics for 75 cents each. I was on cloud nine leaving that place.

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac, I once found a copy of the Buckingham-Nicks album in a Salvation Army.

Some time ago, I was reading about a Led Zeppelin bootleg, that was housed in a book with photos. I once had a chance to buy it for 40 bucks (in the early 1990s) and I did not buy it. I think it goes for a lot more than that now. I can't recall the name of it.

It may have been: Antrabata´s Studio Sessions Box Set.

I take it Amazon is trying to give iTunes a run for its money. Is that right?

Edited by Analogman

Ah, the eternal argument. Space vs no-space and sound you can't really hear.

The real difference here is that some folks like to collect shit (like me) and others think it is a royal pain in the ass. If you play music on iPods and computers you really can't tell the difference between MP3s and anything else. If you have a full blown stereo with a turntable, getting LPs is hip at the moment. Carry on.

LouieB

i wish i could get a cd or just mp3 card with the LP artwork at about half the price of vinyl. that would work for me.