Wilco has 2 albums in Rolling Stones 100 Greatest of the Decade

Just read Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Albums of the Decade -

Wilco landed at number 97 for SBS and number 3 for YHF.

My biggest shock is that A Ghost Is Born is no where to be found on this list. Don't get me wrong, I love to listen to SBS - but if that's gonna be on the list than I think AGIB should have joined the discussion as well.

Kid A grabbed the #1 spot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also in RS's 100 Best Songs of the Decade:

67 | Wilco — "Jesus, Etc."

68 | Coldplay — "Viva La Vida"

69 | Santigold — "L.E.S. Artistes"

70 | Arctic Monkeys — "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor"

71 | Justice — "D.A.N.C.E."

72 | Kings of Leon — "Use Somebody"

73 | Queens of the Stone Age — "No One Knows"

74 | TV on the Radio — "Wolf Like Me"

75 | Arcade Fire — "Rebellion (Lies)"

Nice that it improbably outranked Rebellion (Lies) and Viva la Vida.

This whole list sucked. Rolling Stones sycophancy towards U2 knows no bounds (likewise Springsteen). "All That You Can't Leave Behind" made it into the top twenty albums of the decade. Incredible. Even more astounding was making "Moment of Surrender" song of the year for 2009. 7 + minutes of the most boring music U2 have ever done. I was also blown away that the Fleet Foxes eponymous debut didn't make it at least to the top twenty albums. A far better and more original album than many that made that level.

A Ghost is Born is better than both of their choices.

:ninja

But the decreasingly relevant Rolling Stone need to keep their head up U2's arse as far as they can in the vain hope that yet another magazine cover for the Dublin has-beens will sell a few more copies of their magazine.

But the decreasingly relevant Rolling Stone need to keep their head up U2's arse as far as they can in the vain hope that yet another magazine cover for the Dublin has-beens will sell a few more copies of their magazine.

I trust Brian Eno's opinion

Yet for all the millions who line up to feel that Irish embrace, U2 - and in particular Bono- also attract a lot of vilification. Why does he think this is? "Snobbery, primarily," he says, smiling to reveal a solid gold incisor worthy of a rap star. "It's most pronounced in England. There's a tendency for people who are in the business of art - critics, writers, people who consider themselves insiders - to distrust anything that is easy to like. There's an assumption underlying this that people are quite stupid, and if a lot of them like something then it too must be quite stupid.

I trust Brian Eno's opinion

Brian Eno - good person to trust? Someone whose income has been tied to his contribution's to U2's work for 25 + years now. More now than at any time since he actually gets writing credits on this album. I am someone who loves "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby", whose first gig was seeing U2 in 1983. I think "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is a decent album easily the best of the three they have released this decade. But #13 this decade?

And I am always baffled by this notion that U2 are given a hard time by the music press or critics. Certainly not be the Rolling Stone or their British equivalents Q, Uncut or MOJO. It's amazing to me that few if any mainstream music journalists have taken on U2 for creating a carbon monstrosity of a tour (360 degrees) when the very people who will be affected most dangerously by climate change are the people in Africa that Bono has done such a valiant job campaigning for. It would seem that in the clash of money vs principles that commerce won out in the case of this tour. I know that the band has most likely bought carbon offsets but on a symbolic level this is all wrong.

If I were to put two Wilco albums on my list of best albums of the decade, YHF and SBS would be the two. AGIB would NOT make it.

So at least Rolling Stone got that part right. :thumbup

However, Kid A wouldn't have even made my list. :lol

Wow, Dylan with the #8 & #11 spot. :thumbup

Springsteen's Magic at 24?!? Uggggghhhh :yucky

Way too much Kanye West on that list. :no

Nice to see Gillian (#64) and Fiona (#49). :music

Two slots for DRA (#38 & #81)- and well deserved. :cheers

I, too, am surprised of SBS over AGiB. :ermm

AGIB may not pack a big enough initial punch for RS to have put it on their list. when I first heard it, I thought it was wayyyyy too quiet and didn't like it at all. I remember flicking through the tracks at Barnes and Noble and finally getting to The Late Greats and being pleased. def. didn't think the album was worth it's price tag so I downloaded it. needless to say, it wasn't until a couple of months later that the album hit me and worked it's crazy magic. since then, I have bought the album twice on CD and twice on vinyl, lol.

YHF and SBS seem to be good, safe starting places for Wilco n00bs.

Just a point of clarification: The lists were complied from a vote, taken by (optionally) secret ballot, from artists (Mr. Tweedy among them), industry folks, and writers/critics (Fricke and yes, other Rolling Stone editors included).

What is very clear is that the Rolling Stone editors are some big Wilco Fans--see the following:

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/31219787

Shameful. AGIB should have at least made the list. I guess you can't really argue with YHF being up at number 3 though.

My only argument would be that YHF should be #1.

Hell, I would argue that YHF is one of the 20 best rock records ever made. :yes

I like SBS, but it is just wrong that it came in ahead of AGIB.