Wilco has 2 albums in Rolling Stones 100 Greatest of the Decade

I love SBS, it's safe, but that's why Rolling Stone loves it.

AGIB is easily my second favorite Wilco record, and sometimes my first. It has it's flaws but I believe it to contain Jeff's best lyrics yet by far, read Wishful Thinking and tell me I'm wrong!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think AGIB has aged better than any other Wilco-related release of the decade.(including YHF, which I still love, though kind of get tired of) YHF, AGIB, and the first Loose Fur record mark a pretty awesome stretch in the Wilco canon. The stuff since then, not so much.

I've never been able to decide if I love or hate the production on AGIB. It is a 'different' sounding record, to be sure. But, really, I think most of what sometimes drives me nuts is the low-volume mastering, which makes for awkward ipod shuffling. Oh well. But as for the sound of the record I actually like it a lot better than, say, WTA, which is somehow too 'shiny' for me...or something. The sound of AGIB had more depth to it, somehow.

The CD of AGIB sounds so luscious coming out of my car stereo speakers. It is like melted milk chocolate.

I'm alreay tired of these best of decade lists and the decade isn't even over yet. It is becoming like reading the cover of Us Weekly or something of the equivalent. Sure I clicked on the link to see what RS said, but it didn't compel me to do anything further or shed any insights.

I'm mostly grateful that I feel good about knowing what I liked and what I didn't. I feel hopeful/frustrated that there is more to be explored.

Now if RS would have had a top ten that included:

Wilco: YHF

Iron & Wine: Endless Numbered Days

M. Ward: Post War

Ryan Adams: Heartbreaker & Love Is Hell

Josh Ritter: Animal Years

Fleet Foxes: S/T

Dolorean: You Can't Win

Matthew Ryan: Vs. Silver State

then I would claim they were genius.

As a side note: I really am cool with Kings Of Leon, but placing three of their albums in the top 100 was pure marketing to the lowest common denominator. Maybe Aha Shake Heartbreak, but cmon.

ST was a 1999 release, and thus not in the purview of the RS list, which is the topic of the thread. You are, of course, free to love it as much as you like.

I'm alreay tired of these best of decade lists and the decade isn't even over yet. It is becoming like reading the cover of Us Weekly or something of the equivalent. Sure I clicked on the link to see what RS said, but it didn't compel me to do anything further or shed any insights.

I'm mostly grateful that I feel good about knowing what I liked and what I didn't. I feel hopeful/frustrated that there is more to be explored.

Now if RS would have had a top ten that included:

Wilco: YHF

Iron & Wine: Endless Numbered Days

M. Ward: Post War

Ryan Adams: Heartbreaker & Love Is Hell

Josh Ritter: Animal Years

Fleet Foxes: S/T

Dolorean: You Can't Win

Matthew Ryan: Vs. Silver State

then I would claim they were genius.

As a side note: I really am cool with Kings Of Leon, but placing three of their albums in the top 100 was pure marketing to the lowest common denominator. Maybe Aha Shake Heartbreak, but cmon.

Soooo basically the only good music this decade was folk/ country based rock?

Soooo basically the only good music this decade was folk/ country based rock?

how'd you guess?

that does look pretty monotone doesn't it.

Like I said, I'm cool with what moves me, and sure the Strokes Is This It was awesome

and Yoshimi was awesome, and numerous others, but none moved me like those I just listed.

ST was a 1999 release, and thus not in the purview of the RS list, which is the topic of the thread. You are, of course, free to love it as much as you like.

Ah! You are right. Should have thought about the date before I wrote my post, Still Love me some Summerteeth!

Technically the new decade begins 1/1/11, just as this decade began 1/1/01; and 2000 was the last year of the 20th century. Don't know why that is ignored although for the press it probably has to do with $ -- why wait to cash in on "end of decade" hype. Either way, Wilco has been in my life since 2000 -- a great find at the end/beginning of the century/decade.

Technically the new decade begins 1/1/11, just as this decade began 1/1/01; and 2000 was the last year of the 20th century. Don't know why that is ignored although for the press it probably has to do with $ -- why wait to cash in on "end of decade" hype.

Technically nobody has ever paid attention to that way of looking at it. Not dissing you, just stating a fact.

. . . which was my point, thanks for reiterating.

Nah, you said it was probably motivated by the press and $$$ and stuff. I'm saying it's simpler than that. When the year changes from the familiar third decimal to a new one, that feels like a new decade, and so it's celebrated as such. I have no problem with that. I always assume bringing up the "technically" argument is just being contrary.