e1260456599.jpg

The Big To-Do

New York, NY—ATO Records is pleased to announce the signing of Drive-By Truckers and their label debut, The Big To-Do. The album, which will be the band’s tenth in their thirteen-year career, is scheduled to be released March 16, 2010. The Big To-Do features thirteen new tracks from the Drive-By Truckers and was produced by their long time producer, David Barbe (Sugar, Bettye LaVette). “It’s very much a rock album,” says Patterson Hood of the Trucker’s upcoming release. “Very melodic and more rocking than anything we’ve done since disc 2 of Southern Rock Opera.”

The inspiration for The Big To-Do came to the band during their time on the road. “We’ve often set our songs and albums in different periods of time, but this one finds us directly in our present. Riding all through the highways of America (and Europe) trying to make sense of a very different world than the one we grew up in,” says Hood. “I don’t write a lot of songs on the road, but I did more than usual on this album and many more were inspired by or set there, either in a literal sense or something I witnessed or heard about while I was out there.”

Hood and Mike Cooley continue to be the chief songwriters of the group, continuing a musical partnership that has lasted over twenty-three years. Bassist, Shonna Tucker, flexes her songwriting muscles once again by contributing two original songs to the album. Brad Morgan (drums), John Neff (guitar/pedal steel) and Jay Gonzalez (keyboards) round out the current Drive-By Truckers lineup.

The band recently backed legendary R&B musician, Booker T. Jones, on his critically acclaimed, Grammy-nominated album, Potato Hole. The album is nominated for Best Pop Instrumental Album and Best Rock Instrumental Performance.

The Drive-By Truckers will be hitting the road at the beginning of the new year. A full tour supporting The Big To-Do will be announced in early 2010.

The Big To-Do Track Listing:

1. Daddy Learned to Fly

2. The Fourth Night of My Drinking

3. Birthday Boy

4. Drag the Lake Charlie

5. The Wig He Made Her Wear

6. You Got Another

7. This Fucking Job

8. Get Downtown

9. After the Scene Dies

10. (It’s Gonna Be) I Told You So

11. Santa Fe

12. The Flying Wallendas

13. Eyes Like Glue

14. Girls Who Smoke (Bonus track – vinyl only)

Drive-By Truckers on tour:

1/28 Huntsville, AL Crossroads Music Hall

1/29 Mobile, AL Soul Kitchen

1/30 Tuscaloosa, AL Jupiter Bar & Grill

2/11 Greenville, SC Handlebar

2/12 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

2/13 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

2/14 Knoxville, TN Bijou Theatre

2/25 Charlotte, NC Neighborhood Theatre

2/26 Charlottesville, VA Jefferson Theatre

2/27 Charlottesville, VA Jefferson Theatre

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“It’s very much a rock album,” says Patterson Hood of the Trucker’s upcoming release. “Very melodic and more rocking than anything we’ve done since disc 2 of Southern Rock Opera.”

I like the sound of this.

Anyone else on board for the Athens stand? At least a few of us around here are in, should be a blast. "The fourth night of my drinking" has got to be a Cooley song. Anyone hear that there'll be a whole second new album later in the year?

Anyone else on board for the Athens stand? At least a few of us around here are in, should be a blast. "The fourth night of my drinking" has got to be a Cooley song. Anyone hear that there'll be a whole second new album later in the year?

yes, there is another album coming out too. i assume in the fall of '10. i forget the title. i remember reading that patterson said that it was gonna be an R/B Murder ballad album..whatever that means :dancing

looking forward to this.

In fairness to the band though, even on their patchy albums, there are always a few gems hidden away in there.

You won't get any disagreement from me. I love all of their albums since Southern Rock Opera. Blessing and a Curse has a few weak moments but I like much of it.

• 1 month later...

2010 Tour Dates

Thu Jan 28 Huntsville, AL Crossroads Music Hall

Fri Jan 29 Mobile, AL Soul Kitchen

Sat Jan 30 Tuscaloosa, AL Jupiter Bar & Grill

Thu Feb 11 Greenville, SC Handlebar

Fri Feb 12 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

Sat Feb 13 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

Sun Feb 14 Knoxville, TN Bijou Theatre

Thu Feb 25 Charlotte, NC Neighborhood Theatre

Fri Feb 26 Charlottesville, VA Jefferson Theatre

Sat Feb 27 Charlottesville, VA Jefferson Theatre