Sun Apr 11 Cleveland OH Beachland Ballroom and Tavern

Wed Apr 14 Towson MD Recher Theatre

Thu Apr 15 Norfolk VA The Norva

Fri Apr 16 Asheville NC The Orange Peel

Sat Apr 17 Asheville NC The Orange Peel

Fri Apr 30 Nashville TN Cannery Ballroom

Fri May 07 Los Angeles CA Avalon

Sat May 08 San Francisco CA The Fillmore Auditorium

surprised they're playing variety in atlanta. two nights is cool though and it's the best venue in atlanta.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our closest show is San Fran in May so I think we'll make a weekend of it. MLB will be in full swing (no pun intended) so the husband will be happy. The Giants will be out-of-town that weekend, however, the Athletics will be hosting the Devil Rays!

I guess I'll take that over no show...was just about to plan a road trip to Charlottesville when the Towson date popped up. At this time, I'll take a weeknight gig that's 30 minutes away over a weekend gig that's 2.5 hours away.

I might go up there, but it would be hard. It's one thing when you know the show will be over by 11 and I can get in bed by 1. It's another when the show will go past midnight and I got work the next day in DC.

I'm just surprised they're not hitting the 9:30 this time around. This'll be over 2 years since the full band played a public show in DC (i.e. not an inaugural event). They came last February, but those shows were Patterson-less. They just played Baltimore last summer, too. Argh.

I might go up there, but it would be hard. It's one thing when you know the show will be over by 11 and I can get in bed by 1. It's another when the show will go past midnight and I got work the next day in DC.

I'm just surprised they're not hitting the 9:30 this time around. This'll be over 2 years since the full band played a public show in DC (i.e. not an inaugural event). They came last February, but those shows were Patterson-less. They just played Baltimore last summer, too. Argh.

Patterson-less, eh? I wouldn't even call that a Truckers show. I'm looking forward to seeing this lineup; I saw them once when Isbell was in the band and loved it (most of my favorite DBT songs are his) and have been itching to see them again.

Funny you mention the Baltimore show - just today on Facebook, my older brother posted the picture of the new album cover and made a little announcement about the album release date. A friend of his has the nerve to say that she saw the Truckers in Baltimore last year and compared them to a Damn Yankees cover band.

And so the dialogue continued as follows:

Person 1: When I saw them in Baltimore last year, they reminded me of a mediocre Damn Yankees cover band or something of that ilk. You want good music out of the south? Check out Holy Ghost Tent Revival, Paleface & Mo, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Everybodyfields (... See Morenow defunct but still awesome) and I might have mentioned a band named the Avett Brothers before.

Me: Oh wow, a Damn Yankees cover band? That's pretty harsh. Real harsh.

Person 2: Hey now, don't let the Motor City Madman hear you guys knocking on Damn Yankees or he might go out bow hunting for you!!

Me: Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley would do a "wango tango" on Ted Nugent's face. Meaning they'd rough him up.

Person 2: maybe in a fist fight, but I feeling Ted would drop 'em with a shot from about 600 yards away in a deer stand with a 30/06

Me: I don't know man, the Truckers have got a "Loaded Gun in the Closet" with "Nine Bullets." They'll find a "Guitar Man Upstairs," and "When the Pin Hits the Shell," they'll say "Goodbye," leave him in "A Word of Hurt," "Dead, Drunk and Naked." Then they'll go onstage and sing "That Man I Shot."

Yep. I took the time to craft that. I'm a nerd.

It was actually pretty cool.

It was definitely cool. Funny thing is, I went to 3 DBT-related shows last year, all of which were great: the Drive-By Cooleys show at the 9:30, Patterson Hood and the Screwtopians at the Black Cat, and Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit at the Birchmere. All three shows featured (former) members of DBT playing DBT songs. And yet, I've not been to a show with Hood and Cooley on the same stage. I was hoping they'd swing by here this spring, but I can hold out for a fall date.

It was definitely cool. Funny thing is, I went to 3 DBT-related shows last year, all of which were great: the Drive-By Cooleys show at the 9:30, Patterson Hood and the Screwtopians at the Black Cat, and Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit at the Birchmere. All three shows featured (former) members of DBT playing DBT songs. And yet, I've not been to a show with Hood and Cooley on the same stage. I was hoping they'd swing by here this spring, but I can hold out for a fall date.

Those were great shows. I was at the Cooley and Isbell shows, but missed Patterson at the Black Cat (great little venue). Surely they'll show DC some love before it's 2011!

You can get a free download of "Birthday Boy" by going to the Truckers' site. It's an instant Cooley classic about a stripper!

def one of the albums best tracks... these line SLAY me:

the pretty girls from the smallest towns

get remembered like storms and droughts

that old men talk about for years to come

i guess that's why they give us names

so a few old men can say they saw us rain when we were young.

You can get a free download of "Birthday Boy" by going to the Truckers' site. It's an instant Cooley classic about a stripper!

I think she turns tricks as well.

Working for the money like you got eight hands

Flat on your back under a mean old man

Just thinking happy thoughts and breathing deep

I think she turns tricks as well.

Working for the money like you got eight hands

Flat on your back under a mean old man

Just thinking happy thoughts and breathing deep

As the best kind of strippers do! Wait, I just grossed myself out. I'll show myself the door..

:lol

I'd be curious to hear more about it...did they sing any Patterson tunes without him onstage?

Just one. On the first night, they invited a fan up to the stage to do "Life in the Factory." The rest was mostly Cooley songs, with a few Shonna songs and one rip-roaring cover of "Rockin in the Free World" featuring about 7 guitars (including some of the guys from Bloodkin, who opened.) The guitarist from Bloodkin, William Tonks, sat in on guitar on both shows and did a great job. I don't know if he's a total bad-ass, or if the songs are just that easy to play, but it worked.

Both shows are available at archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2009-02-20.mk4.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2009-02-21.mk4.flac16

Yeah not sure about how valid these DC fan complaints are. Personally I hate the 9:30 club and am happy the two Charlottesville shows are not worknights (a Friday and a Saturday).

I've been to 9:30 twice and both times it was kinda douchebag central. Everyone talking on cellphones throughout an Old Crow Medicine Show concert was the worst.

Just one. On the first night, they invited a fan up to the stage to do "Life in the Factory." The rest was mostly Cooley songs, with a few Shonna songs and one rip-roaring cover of "Rockin in the Free World" featuring about 7 guitars (including some of the guys from Bloodkin, who opened.) The guitarist from Bloodkin, William Tonks, sat in on guitar on both shows and did a great job. I don't know if he's a total bad-ass, or if the songs are just that easy to play, but it worked.

Both shows are available at archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2009-02-20.mk4.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2009-02-21.mk4.flac16

Muchas gracias amigo.

Yeah not sure about how valid these DC fan complaints are. Personally I hate the 9:30 club and am happy the two Charlottesville shows are not worknights (a Friday and a Saturday).

I've been to 9:30 twice and both times it was kinda douchebag central. Everyone talking on cellphones throughout an Old Crow Medicine Show concert was the worst.

I'm sorry to hear your experiences at the 9:30 Club sucked. I've probably been there 30 or 40 times and have had a good experience almost every time, although there are some shows that attract a certain type of douche-baggy crowd.

My father-in-law really wants to go to the Charlottesville shows and my mother-in-law graciously offered to watch my daughters if we wanted to go. I have awesome in-laws!

I was about to pre-order the vinyl, when I found that they were adding $12.99 for shipping and handling! At that rate I'll probably just end up going for the CD on amazon.com.

So they vinyl is 30 bucks PLUS 13 bucks for shipping? That's outrageous.

So they vinyl is 30 bucks PLUS 13 bucks for shipping? That's outrageous.

Yes, over $40.00 total. I've paid close to $10 shipping for pre-orders in the past, but this is going too far. I may go back later and make sure I didn't click a button I didn't mean to, but I don't recall seeing a choice of shipping methods.

I'm holding out on the pre order...I'm struggling with dropping some coin to add the shirt.

Hitting the Saturday show in Raleigh this weekend.

Figure I'll check out their swag table first. They're bound to have some sweet tour shirts.

Can't wait for this one!

The 40 Watts shows from last Jan sound great...the new stuff sounds great live!