• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This leaked. About half-way through my first listen now and I'm liking, but not loving, it but hopefully it grows on me. I wasn't much a fan of BTCD, other than a few GREAT songs (2 daughters, 3 dimes down, Righteous path, Ghost to most) but I am liking that this is a bit more rocking and less country.

I've had it for close to a month now. I like it, but definitely don't love it. To my ears, it sounds like what they were going for (but didn't quite accomplish) with A Blessing and a Curse - leaner, less "Southern," and potential for more mainstream appeal in classic rock circles. I like The Big To-Do more than ABAAC, but not as much as Brighter Than Creations Dark. I also find Murdering Oscar to be a better album that the new one. Cooley's songs are solid, but certainly not spectacular. The two songs that I absolutely fucking love are "The Wig He Made Her Wear" and "After the Scene Dies." I look forward to hearing "Girls Who Smoke" when the vinyl arrives.

curious where you got it that it actually "leaked" a few weeks ago...

i got a promo of it a few weeks ago, but didn't see it "leaked" anywhere until late last night...

anywho, it's better than the last 2 by far

Don't tell me I schooled you! I found it on a message board I frequent - a 256 rip. I got it the day before I saw them live(2/11), so I've had it for a couple of weeks now.

Don't tell me I schooled you! I found it on a message board I frequent - a 256 rip. I got it the day before I saw them live(2/11), so I've had it for a couple of weeks now.

well, i've had it for a while myself too, but was just curious, cuz it obviously wasn't a very widespread leak then (wasn't on Demonoid or What.CD, 2 of the biggest trackers). It's possible it was a transcode tho, as what.CD deletes those.

doesn't really matter, i was just curious thumbup.gif

well, i've had it for a while myself too, but was just curious, cuz it obviously wasn't a very widespread leak then (wasn't on Demonoid or What.CD, 2 of the biggest trackers). It's possible it was a transcode tho, as what.CD deletes those.

doesn't really matter, i was just curious thumbup.gif

Nah, it almost like you got shit before they even record the damn album. It's like a band or artist has a thought about an album and you're up here within minutes posting about how awesome it is. It's just funny to me. You're usually one of the ones around here who tips me off to new albums.

This may be the first Truckers album for me that I prefer the Patterson songs to the Cooley songs. After The Scene Dies and The Wig He Made Her Wear are standouts. The three Cooley songs are good and all, but he has been so consistently genius in the past it's kind of like it is just expected at this point.

I wonder who is playing the guitar solo at the end of Daddy Learned To Fly. I've listened to it 10 times in a row now.

Creations Dark was great, but in need of an editor badly. they should have trimmed at least 3, if not 5 songs from the album.

Not to put you on the spot, but I'm curious as to what those 3-5 songs are. I'll give you the 3-5 songs I'd cut - You And Your Crystal Meth, The Purgatory Line, Home Field Advantage, Daddy Needs A Drink, and I'm Sorry Huston. Still love it. Patterson envisioned it as a sprawling, 70's-styled, double album. I love it. Warts and all.

This may be the first Truckers album for me that I prefer the Patterson songs to the Cooley songs. After The Scene Dies and The Wig He Made Her Wear are standouts. The three Cooley songs are good and all, but he has been so consistently genius in the past it's kind of like it is just expected at this point.

I wonder who is playing the guitar solo at the end of Daddy Learned To Fly. I've listened to it 10 times in a row now.

Speaking of guitar, the sleazy guitar work on "Wig" stabs you in the arm and invades like heroin. I won't even mention the demented laughter followed by the call of "sick bastard" that kicks this Truckers classic off.

Not to put you on the spot, but I'm curious as to what those 3-5 songs are. I'll give you the 3-5 songs I'd cut - You And Your Crystal Meth, The Purgatory Line, Home Field Advantage, Daddy Needs A Drink, and I'm Sorry Huston. Still love it. Patterson envisioned it as a sprawling, 70's-styled, double album. I love it. Warts and all.

I like Daddy Needs a Drink but otherwise agree. My opinion is that the album would have been a pure classic without the rest.

The new album kicks all sort of ass. I bought the album and had the first two songs released to me. The leak is 10times better quality than what I paid for. :stunned

Lisa's Birthday, Bob, You and Your Crystal Meth for certain... after that not sure, i'd have to revisit it again

Not really falling for it myself either. Might be my copy of it or maybe I am getting old but it sounds as if it recorded by amateurs. Too many things going on in the mix and vocals a bit murky. Then again, I think that most DBT albums seem that way.

This leaked a few weeks ago actually. My impression, I read this somewhere else but it's an apt description, is that it's another DBT album. Nothing bad at all: an all-around solid set of songs.

very good point. it's a DBT album. nothing but the first song seems memorable to me. def not 'better' than the last two. however, if one loves the dbt sound, then this is you're album. i have a feeling this is going to be a fan favorite after all is said and done.

Speaking of guitar, the sleazy guitar work on "Wig" stabs you in the arm and invades like heroin. I won't even mention the demented laughter followed by the call of "sick bastard" that kicks this Truckers classic off.

i guess that's one of my issues with DBT, they don't have a good lead guitar player. cooley just can't play. of course that's part of their charm. however, i'd love to hear some tasty licks on some songs that didn't sound like they sound kind of good by accident. don't know if neff is any good on lead. great on pedal steel though.

Lisa's Birthday, Bob, You and Your Crystal Meth for certain... after that not sure, i'd have to revisit it again

How can you get rid of Bob?!?!! But I'd agree on the other two. This album struck me as kind of "eh" on first listen, but I need to go back a couple of times.

How can you get rid of Bob?!?!! But I'd agree on the other two. This album struck me as kind of "eh" on first listen, but I need to go back a couple of times.

can't stand the lyrics on Bob really... hmm.gif

plus NOFX's 'Bob' is a way better song about Bob... biggrin.gif