Till they tried to cut me off

On the 4th night of my drinking

I had to go it all alone

Cause my friends list was shrinking

And I was sinking like a stone

I had a steely eye and a mouthful grin

A disposition that ?????

There was a taste in my mouth I wasn’t liking it

Said I’ll be through with me before I’m through with it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess that's one of my issues with DBT, they don't have a good lead guitar player. cooley just can't play. of course that's part of their charm. however, i'd love to hear some tasty licks on some songs that didn't sound like they sound kind of good by accident. don't know if neff is any good on lead. great on pedal steel though.

'guitarist' and 'tasty licks' in the same sentence gives me ebola.

Charlottesville got absolutely OWNED on Friday and Saturday night. I've been going to see this band pretty regularly since the Decoration Day tour and they are STILL as good live as ever. I was going to skip the shows in Towson and Norfolk, but I think I might have to go to one of these now. Good times.

David Barbe & The Quick Hooks opened both nights and had a brand new record on sale at the merch stand, which was a nice suprise. I am one of the folks who is a fan of the way he produces DBT's records, not to mention the work he did on the recent Cracker and Bloodkin releases. Neff & Morgan are both in the Quick Hooks.

Both nights DBT came on stage with a new Cooley song playing over the PA. Pretty sure this is part of the Cooley "solo album" coming out on record store day. It's pretty great. I don't know if I've laughed that hard at a show before.

Both nights DBT came on stage with a new Cooley song playing over the PA. Pretty sure this is part of the Cooley "solo album" coming out on record store day. It's pretty great. I don't know if I've laughed that hard at a show before.

Can you please elaborate on this a bit? Cooley is the man and I'm extremely curious about this.

Glad you had a good time at the shows. Can't wait for Chicago on April 9th.

"You and Your Crystal Meth" is really the only song on that record I could do without. I enjoy "Bob," "Lisa's Birthday," and even the Shonna Tucker songs. No, they're not on the same plane as Hood or Cooley songs, but I found them to be refreshing and add a nice balance to the disc. Isbell's tunes were some of my favorites, and I miss them, but I think that Shonna's tunes actually provide a little relief between Hood/Cooley.

i do like Shonna's tunes quite a bit (although moreso on the last vs. this new one), but they sound SO so different that it's almost like a completely different band... vs. say between Cooley/Hood/Isbell. and i don't always mean just male vs. female vocals, the songs themselves are arranged quite a bit different.

Can you please elaborate on this a bit? Cooley is the man and I'm extremely curious about this.

Glad you had a good time at the shows. Can't wait for Chicago on April 9th.

It was a studio track with an r/b feel. The music sounded like what I'd expect some of the lighter moments on the next dbt record, "Go Go Boots", to sound like. Cooley raps Sly Stone style over the track, and as a fanboy it made me laugh. Hard.

Topics included were to "sit back and enjoy yo-self", black beans and rice, and the fact that he doesn't speak spanish. I hope they come out to this track again - it was a fun way to start the show.

It was a studio track with an r/b feel. The music sounded like what I'd expect some of the lighter moments on the next dbt record, "Go Go Boots", to sound like. Cooley raps Sly Stone style over the track, and as a fanboy it made me laugh. Hard.

Topics included were to "sit back and enjoy yo-self", black beans and rice, and the fact that he doesn't speak spanish. I hope they come out to this track again - it was a fun way to start the show.

black beans and rice...awesome.

Gave this one a good, dedicated few listenings this weekend. While I do think it's not as strong as BTCD, it's a really good DBT album. I do disagree with a few here about the Cooley songs. "Eyes like glue" is really touching, and "Get Downtown" is a blast. I think the two weakest songs on here are Patterson's unfortunately. (Santa Fe (sounds too derivative of much of his DBT stuff) and The Flying Wallendas). Really looking forward to hearing some of these live in May.

I thought Santa Fe was one of the best songs on the record, but we're in full agreeance on The Flying Wallendas.

Maybe it's because the beginning of Santa Fe sounds EXACTLY like their cover of "Like a Rolling Stone." I dunno, it will probably grow on me.

Maybe it's because the beginning of Santa Fe sounds EXACTLY like their cover of "Like a Rolling Stone."

This seems to be a common observation shared by fans and critics of the band. Another song off the new album, "The Wig Her Made Her Wear," sounds fairly similar to "Belvedere" off Patterson's Murdering Oscar. I have no problems with it, but some folks seem to be bothered by it.

This seems to be a common observation shared by fans and critics of the band. Another song off the new album, "The Wig Her Made Her Wear," sounds fairly similar to "Belvedere" off Patterson's Murdering Oscar. I have no problems with it, but some folks seem to be bothered by it.

Both Patterson and Cooley have a lot of songs that sound melodically like their other songs. IMHO, none of their music is all that complicated or original--it's just really good. The lyrics are what set them apart.

Both Patterson and Cooley have a lot of songs that sound melodically like their other songs. IMHO, none of their music is all that complicated or original--it's just really good. The lyrics are what set them apart.

I agree. They certainly aren't reinventing the wheel, nor are they interested in doing so. I wouldn't say it's one particular thing for me that sets them apart. I just love their sound and the tales they spin.

Yeah, it's never really bugged me before. Not sure why it does on "Santa Fe." But, "The Wig He Made Her Wear" blows "Belvedere" away, IMHO, so that one doesn't bother me at all.....

They were great live this past weekend in Charlottesville and the new songs sounded solid to me. I've been avoiding the stream because I have some bizarre purist thing that inclines me away from pre-release streams (I realize there is no logic in this).

They also mentioned the Tom Petty touring stuff, badass.

i like shonna's songs on this new record. very mellow and a good foil for cooley and hood. i wonder if the new keyboard dude will have some songs on the next record. i know he writes and sings. would be interesting.

A good album, not great. I liked the B-Sides collection much better if that says anything.

As a casual fan who has heard all their studio albums many times, is it weird that I think Patterson's solo record is better then all of them? There are better Truckers songs on each album, but I don't think they've put out an album as consistent as "Murdering Oscar".