Jeff Tweedy at Second City

Tonight at the 24 hour second city benefit show it was announced that this was the last year Jeff was doing the show. Just makes me wonder of the mortality of Wilco. Your thoughts ?

Mortality? I wonder how any person can keep up, must less with children, with life... We can be grateful for what JT gives us, now... He is human as we all are, Into the Mystic...:)

IMHO, this has nothing to do with Wilco. This event is something Sue does for her friend Heather, and even though it's the biggest dollar draw by far for the event, it's a real pain for Jeff to manage with all his other commitments. He went from doing one show the first year to three the next couple to four last year and back to three this year. OK if you've got nothing better to do, but with all his touring and recording, it's just too much. I suspect that in the future there will be a "private" auction. Sue knows who sponsors these things. I believe she will arrange for an "appropriate" contribution from one (maybe more) group(s) for an LRS and that way Heather can get an "effective" amount to finance her gracious, selfless and commendable activities and Jeff can show up for the event and devote the two hours of time he contributes to the ancillary promotions for the event, but doesn't have to commit himself to three or four weekends a year away from his family. Again, nothing to do with Wilco, to whom he seems totally devoted and with whom he would probably rather be spending more of his artistic time.

Another fine evening of casual entertainment, this was my 4th Letters To Santa benefit. It hasn't changed much over the years except for the price of Jeff's charitable living room shows keep increasing...3 shows for $24,000 each this year.

set list from what i remember...

Someone Else's Song

Wrote a Song for Everyone (CCR cover)

Passenger Side

Gun-table song

Remember the Mountain Bed -ts

Reservations - ts

Sin City impromptu

i think there was another one or two table songs in there (Feed of Man)?...

Guest Speed Racer

Can't Jeff play solo without it being the end of Wilco? He has done it for years and Wilco is still here.

The OP was remarking about the mortality of Wilco based on Jeff's decision to discontinue the Letters to Santa appearance.

Of course, discontinuing his decision likely has nothing to do with Wilco, its mortality (or its morality, which is how I originally read the post). If he doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't.

Maybe Jeff has discovered there is no Santa Claus.

Or maybe Jeff has just been overly generous, which has in effect put him in a tough spot. Thanks again Jeff, wonderful performance.

set list from what i remember...

Someone Else's Song

Wrote a Song for Everyone (CCR cover)

Passenger Side

Gun-table song

Remember the Mountain Bed -ts

Reservations - ts

Sin City impromptu

i think there was another one or two table songs in there (Feed of Man)?...

Impossible Germany was between Remember the Mountain Bed and Reservations (no Feed of Man). Jeff made a joke about how he didn't know the solo.

A note on Remember the Mountain Bed: it was paid for by a Second City cast member (Tammy, I think); she was bawling by the end of it. Beautiful song.

The OP was remarking about the mortality of Wilco based on Jeff's decision to discontinue the Letters to Santa appearance.

Of course, discontinuing his decision likely has nothing to do with Wilco, its mortality (or its morality, which is how I originally read the post). If he doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't.

Okay....so his deciding to no longer play a benefit constitutes the end of Wilco..NOW I get it....

LouieB

Jeff's commitment to Letters for Santa has nothing to do with the end of Wilco. Clearly, when they do break up, it will be due to the fact that they are scheduling a concert on a full moon in March during a non-leap year, and Jeff's guitar neck facing southeast, Jeff's sacral chakra running perpendicular to his guitar and parallel to the constellation Orion's belt, with a cool breeze blowing north by northwest -- all of which are clearly indicative that Jeff doesn't really want to be in Wilco any more.

Guest Speed Racer

Jeff's commitment to Letters for Santa has nothing to do with the end of Wilco. Clearly, when they do break up, it will be due to the fact that they are scheduling a concert on a full moon in March during a non-leap year, and Jeff's guitar neck facing southeast, Jeff's sacral chakra running perpendicular to his guitar and parallel to the constellation Orion's belt, with a cool breeze blowing north by northwest -- all of which are clearly indicative that Jeff doesn't really want to be in Wilco any more.

I'm never telling you anything confidential in PM ever again.

my mind = blown

I heard the other guys were going to carry on with Wilco while Jeff focuses on the "Tweedy brand."

I don't know who your source is but I heard Sansone is pulling Doug Yule. The new wilco album is going to be called "Sqaushed" I CAN'T WAIT!

Guest Speed Racer

I heard the other guys were going to carry on with Wilco while Jeff focuses on the "Tweedy brand."

Tony has already approached Scott Stapp and Billy Corgan about replacing him; Tony obviously thinks Billy is the stronger choice on account of his Chicago roots.

edit: Christ, I just ran "Mountain Bed" through my head with Billy Corgan singing, and my ears started bleeding.

Tony has already approached Scott Stapp and Billy Corgan about replacing him; Tony obviously thinks Billy is the stronger choice on account of his Chicago roots.

edit: Christ, I just ran "Mountain Bed" through my head with Billy Corgan singing, and my ears started bleeding.

It would be the late great Jay Bennett singing My Darling-esque.

--Mike