Now Playing: January, 2010

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41DTNZR7EQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg416VZEBA00L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41EZ300QCPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

61A12CM9Z6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg516bR5uA4lL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Toots and The Maytalls - Funky Kingston/In the Dark

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me

The La's - The La's

2593.jpg

Hollee shit is this guy great? Saw him on Tuesday and it was pretty incredible. He even did Watermark - the Weakerthans' tune. One of the cute things was that during the sing along to

'Photosynthesis' he invited all the people who knew the chorus to help all the people who didn't (meaning me). We made this scrum of instant and new friends singing along a couple feet from the stage. It was a crowded and sweaty night.

realism.jpg

The Magnetic Fields - Realism

realism.jpg

The Magnetic Fields - Realism

Me too, and I gotta say, I'm not loving it. There are some great Stephen Merritt melodies and lyrics but overall I'd say it is good but not great. (And maybe I should stop assuming that they are going to put out something that I love as much as I love 69 Love Songs.)

PolvoInPrism.jpg

Every time I listen to this my mind drifts away from it after 4 songs, or so. There's good stuff on here, but it's lacking the magic of the old Polvo. Part of it is that the drummer is too technically advanced.

Me too, and I gotta say, I'm not loving it. There are some great Stephen Merritt melodies and lyrics but overall I'd say it is good but not great. (And maybe I should stop assuming that they are going to put out something that I love as much as I love 69 Love Songs.)

It was my first listen through. I was working on the computer while doing so, so my first impression is a bit tainted. It did seem to have the typical Merritt wit and melodies, but other than a few songs everything kind of remained in the background. I really have to give this a few more "proper" listens as I'm sure my opinion might change, or not.

And yes, 69 Love Songs will probably never be topped. It's a near impossible feat I'd say.

NP:

basia_bulat_-_heart_of_my_own.jpg