Now Playing: January, 2010

Huh. I just read the AllMusic bio and review ... on one hand, it looks like something I wouldn't be into, but on the other hand, it looks like it could be 100% awesome.

I'll have to seek out a copy and form my own opinion.

Totally, I wasn't really a fan of the genre nor of heavy sampling, mashups kind of lose their steam after the novelty of the first thirty seconds wear off, Girl Talk bores me, and Paul's Boutique - I hate to say this - but I haven't listened to it in over five years. But this album is a pure joy to listen to.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huh. I just read the AllMusic bio and review ... on one hand, it looks like something I wouldn't be into, but on the other hand, it looks like it could be 100% awesome.

I'll have to seek out a copy and form my own opinion.

it is pretty damn awesome...

sad they've done nothing really since though :(

vampireweekend-contra.jpg

certainly mellower overall and not quite as fun as the debut, but still some pretty good songs and i'm enjoying it on this blistery winter day. the last song (I Think UR A Contra) might be my favorite on the record actually.

it's streaming on their MySpace now too i guess

They allegedly have a new album they are clearing samples for. They must be a copyright lawyer's wet dream.

Definitely wanna hear the new Vampire Weekend, but when are they going to give up the preppy fixation? The half popped collar polo shirt is too much.

61y8Ukztr8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg513F6llm4DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg418VYH7MCAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51oZ0GSEG1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg31TN23SX44L._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Apollo Sunshine - Shall Noise Upon

the The - Mind Bomb

Jimmy Smith - Root Down: Live!

John Cale - Vintage Violence

Dogbowl - Flan

^ How's that? I admit I've been scared off a bit by the presence of a choir.

Don't be. It's pretty fantastic. I like the way the choir is basically used as an instrument unto itself adding phrasing and colorations to the arrangements. Duke Pearson's "Cristo Redentor" is worth the price of admission alone.

NP:

lda2915.jpg

certainly mellower overall and not quite as fun as the debut, but still some pretty good songs and i'm enjoying it on this blistery winter day. the last song (I Think UR A Contra) might be my favorite on the record actually.

:w00t Downloading now!

I've listened to it about 2-3 times now and I really like it. So far, nothing stands out like Oxford Comma or anything, but it seems to be a more cohesive effort.

folder.jpg

Tom Zé - Nave Maria

I've listened to it about 2-3 times now and I really like it. So far, nothing stands out like Oxford Comma or anything, but it seems to be a more cohesive effort.

i'd agree that it definitely flows better than the first. not exactly breaking any new grounds, and they probably did play it a BIT safe, but i'd rather see that than an all out total flop (see: CYHSY's 2nd album). solid 7.5/10 for me... but boy does that song w/ the auto-tune shit (California English i think?) kind of bug me :yucky

i'd agree that it definitely flows better than the first. not exactly breaking any new grounds, and they probably did play it a BIT safe, but i'd rather see that than an all out total flop (see: CYHSY's 2nd album). solid 7.5/10 for me... but boy does that song w/ the auto-tune shit (California English i think?) kind of bug me :yucky

Agreed on all points, especially in concerns to CYHSY's 2nd album. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in an album. I own and love Chinese Democracy and it was in no way disappointing - That's saying something.

The auto-tune song was playing as I was typing my last post. I almost said something, but I didn't. It's pretty distracting and most definitely stands out but not in a good way. Bout overall, it's pretty solid. I freaking love the cover art.

I believe Vampire Weekend is on Letterman tonight (1/5/10)

289_lg_29_DeYarmond_CD_0bcda96c1b724db98e3100cfcfd6b45460c0336a.jpg

one of the best bands i've heard that broke up. i figure they probably had to, but damn...they could've made some (more) great music.

hoping they do more "reunion shows" in the future, the one i saw in Oct '07 when i saw Justin play as Bon Iver live for the first time blew my mind.