Now Reading in the New New Year

I took a brief holiday detour, and put off what was next on the list for a few quick reads:

12779027.jpg

9113083.jpg

Now, back to

40833657.JPG

and

16368239.jpg

I've also told my nieces and nephew that I'm going to re-read all the Harry Potters this year, to warm up for the next movie coming out in November. So that's really going to cut into my "real" reading this year. :twitchsmile

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Book_Review_Manhood_for_Amateurs-300x459.jpg

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm sure it would be even more meaningful if I were a man and/or had children, but Chabon is such a good writer.

gogo - a couple months ago both Achak Deng and Dave Eggers spoke at the UW and I somehow missed it entirely. I read about it the next day. Bah!

gogo - a couple months ago both Achak Deng and Dave Eggers spoke at the UW and I somehow missed it entirely. I read about it the next day. Bah!

My new year's resolution: pay more attention to the campus and bookstore calendars, and attend more of these events! Yeah, tons of great writers/speakers come through here, too, and I miss far too many of them.

My new year's resolution: pay more attention to the campus and bookstore calendars, and attend more of these events! Yeah, tons of great writers/speakers come through here, too, and I miss far too many of them.

Sounds like a great resolution to me.

Just started this one:

Carrion%20Comfort.jpg

I took a short break from IJ

Oh, and that's my other resolution for this year! :thumbup

32943762.jpg

I'm pretty committed to borrowing books from the library these days, but I think this one may warrant a purchase. I'm kind of torn between, if I get it from the library, even with renewals I'll still have a deadline to finish (which might help); or, if I buy it, I can take my time and not make myself crazy.

Book_Review_Manhood_for_Amateurs-300x459.jpg

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm sure it would be even more meaningful if I were a man and/or had children, but Chabon is such a good writer.

This one let me down - I grew more tired of his voice as it went along. Shame, because I'm a huge Kavelier & Klay fan. I think memoir-type stuff from men who seem to have the same sensibilities as me I tend to write off as annoying (probably because it's all too familiar-sounding).

32943762.jpg

I'm pretty committed to borrowing books from the library these days, but I think this one may warrant a purchase. I'm kind of torn between, if I get it from the library, even with renewals I'll still have a deadline to finish (which might help); or, if I buy it, I can take my time and not make myself crazy.

Tell you what, I love IJ so much and my enthusiasm so great at the prospect of another falling under it's spell that I hereby offer to send you my dog eared, paperback copy ( the one w/out the highlighted passages!). Besides, I just dig the idea of passing it along...

NR:

n312208.jpg

32943762.jpg

When I read IJ, I got it through the ILL from my local library. Although it took 2 renewals, I was finally able to finish it . . . and it was worth it. Now I need to buy a copy and go back to it whenever I feel the need.

Currently re-reading HST's The Curse of Lono.

Tell you what, I love IJ so much and my enthusiasm so great at the prospect of another falling under it's spell that I hereby offer to send you my dog eared, paperback copy ( the one w/out the highlighted passages!). Besides, I just dig the idea of passing it along...

Aw, thanks so much! I just this morning ordered a used copy from Amazon, though. And anyway, I need to get through What Is The What, first. :cheers

NR:

n312208.jpg

idrinkforareason.JPG

I am interested in both of these! And I still need to go back through the Old Year NR thread, to add a bunch of those to my list...

I just walked through the snow, and picked up the rest of the Jesse Stone novels. The library does not seem to have all of them though. I hate it when that happens.

Night Passage

Trouble in Paradise

Death In Paradise

Stone Cold

Sea Change

High Profile

Stranger In Paradise

Night and Day

Currently reading "Under the Dome" by Steven King. Very lengthy and a bit slow moving. But on cold winter nights - it's all right. I'm also planning on re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy this winter.

I am very interested in "I Drink For A Reason" - please let us know how it is.

Julie Powell's Cleaving, for the food column. Liked it; will post the review later this week.

I just read these two over Christmas break:

9781582433226.jpg

day_after_night.JPG

I loved them both.

And now, I am reading this:

extremely-loud-734716.jpg

I am so incredibly late to the game on Jonathan Safran Foer, but was given his new one Eating Animals for Christmas and wanted to read one of his works of fiction first. I am really loving it.

I started this, and will come back to it soon:

51J4RFXT8BL.jpg

:wave Hi Maudie!! :cheekkiss

Isn't it a great cover?! I love that photo.

The book is about a group of women at the Atlit Internment Camip in Palestine, following WWII. While the narrative is set within actual historical events, at the heart of the book are the stories of the women and the development of their relationships. I loved The Red Tent so much, so I wanted to give it a go. It isn't as good as The Red Tent, but it's certainly worth a read. I have Diamant's other fictional book The Last Days of Dogtown on my reading list for 2010.

The book is about a group of women at the Atlit Internment Camip in Palestine, following WWII. While the narrative is set within actual historical events, at the heart of the book are the stories of the women and the development of their relationships. I loved The Red Tent so much, so I wanted to give it a go. It isn't as good as The Red Tent, but it's certainly worth a read. I have Diamant's other fictional book The Last Days of Dogtown on my reading list for 2010.

I've been reading reviews of her books. She sure covers a range of eras, doesn't she?!? Will definitely have to check some of these out. :thumbup